crate engines

I support vendors here to the tune of 10,000 plus this summer also never take away whats here at turbo buick .. but with a budget of 3-4 thousand hes walking .. my auto parts rep told me to put this in my car and slug on it for 3 years unlimited miles so i did it and have had no problems running pte t-60 60 pd pte injectors turbotweek 95 maf tran with 3.5 lsi mas air flow pte stock stretch runs good great boost no leaks funny sounds true vin 7 109 just not a race motor but seems to be as good as stock . the long block i took out of my car now has time to recieve the personal touch thanks to most of the vendors here. why set and look at the car while building your monster when you can still go fast if your gonna spend ten g;s whats another 1500.0 . i found it to be a good testing ground for parts :cool:

Oil man I like the way you think, why have a car just sit if you can drive it! Problem is in AB winter is 6 months so....
Also the vendors are usually slower than faster. I put deposit on my motor in August, should be ready to ship on mon/ tues

Jarred

Take a giant step back and have a mechanic that knows tbs check out what's going on! You may not need a new engine. There could be many issues that cause oil burning and poor performance.

I agree, you don't even know what the problem is.

Explain the oil burning issue? What is it doing?

A bad turbo seal will bellow smoke at idle but the car will still run ok.

Did you pull the plugs?

Did you drain the oil and check for contaminates? Cut open the oil filter and check.

Lets start here: Take a picture of the side of the car, then take one of the engine bay, then one close up of each side of the engine and post them on the site.

This will really help us help you. It could be something simple..

I live in the Bay Area as well. I know there is someone in the Fairfield /Vacaville area. The shop name is Mizzies or Mizzy's. You should check with them first to determine if you even need a new motor. This might save you thousands!! If you do I’m sure he can build one for you.

We are not saying just go out and spend $$$. But if he does we are just pointing out options.:wink:

Crate engine

Well. Thanks for all the input. I will surely take photos of the engine bay, side view and the like. This weekend I will be taking this car to the right guy to at least assess what's going on. Hope fully it's minor. According the guy I bought it from, it's only got approx. 500 miles on the engine. But hes a 76 year old guy that had the car sitting in his place for more than a few years, he could be just regurgitating what was said when he bought it. I take his words with a grain of salt. I really dont think he did anything but let the car sit.
Maybe a fuel mixture issue? Running rich? I dont know.
All you guys putting in your feedback really really hlps.

Sitting for years could easily explain it not running good. Sounds like you need to delve into the state of tune and maintance before you get ahead of yourself. Until the situation is evaluated I'd wait on getting all worked up on rebuilt engine. After if something enginewise is found then there will plenty of time for hearing everybody's "advice".

Here are some photos.
It's a start.
I will send more detailed stuff later,

photo 4.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

start with the plugs

going back to my first post on this issue start with the plugs do it yourself before you take it to someone who will charge you for example my car has an anti theft device i was out of town and my wifes car would not start so she called me i told her how to start the car she took it to work the next day when she went to leave work the car would not start i was in a meeting could not take her call so she called a local shop to have dumb azz look at it he spent 15 minutes or so and told her ignition or ecm he would have to tow it and gave her a cost 300 . 1000 to fix it depending on what it was . about this time my meeting let out called her found out what was going on i once again told her how to start car and it did the guy she called still whated 110 dollars for looking real smart so do the ground work yourself ther are so many people here that can help even if you dont turn wrenches well slow and esay is ok but you might learn how to kept your ride going with out having to spend alot of money on so called techs some of the best techs out there are stupid when it comes to turbo buicks keep it cheap find out what is wrong then get the expert advice dont be one of those guys that spend and spend and my stock block stiil beats them lol

Crate engine

Columbus
Yep, I will take this nice and slow.
Will do on the spark plugs too.

You def need to figure out what you have... Did the seller give you a list of mods and parts? I see some aftermarket stuff already... Turbo, intercooler (looks like a front mount), intake pipes, fuel gauge, valve covers (of which I have NEVER seen any like those before), downpipe, ATR wastegate, vacuum block, maybe the throttle body, etc, etc.

if you dont find fouled or oiled spark plugs

let me know if plugs are clean .. if they are i can help you with teaching you how to start the car without the turbo to check for oil use at least we have a process of elimination started if it dont blow smoke without the turbo its the turbo or oil return might be pluged but from the pictures it looks like you might have a water cooled turbo if thats the case running without turbo is moot for oil return pluged paul aka OIL MAN

Crate engine

According to some of the paper work the guy gave me.
Looks like the guy worked or new someone at Poston Buick in Alabama.
I think the previous owner name was Ryan Ward or maybe that was the guy from Precision International, also on the paper work.
Got a bunch of paper work handwritten on a poston buick order form.
Pretty much states all the stuff the car has. But it's not typed or anything.
Looks kinda fishy.
ATR Headers, downpipe, wastegate, dynomax straightshot muffler.
TRW pistons. 30 over double moly rings, program billett main, caps, arp rod bolts, clevelite nascar n bearrings, ported matched heads to intake, heads oringed for felpro oring gasket.
New rockerarms and shafts. comp cam 218-28 108degrees.
New t63 turbo fron mount cooler, Kenney bell 70 mm throttle body and plenum.
ATR air filter. CNC nascar oil cooler. Eaton Psitraction carrier.
balanced driveshaft.
COAN 9" converter
new koni shocks, eibach springs, mettcon lower contrl arm, bmr upper adj. control arm
THE LIST IS PRETTY LONG, BUT IM STILL SKEPTICAL.
Sure the forum could help with the parts list.
Bosch fuel pressure regulator.

yep, some of those parts are def the ones on the car. You can always take pics of the suspect parts and this board will be able to confirm they are true. Sounds like you got a pretty decent start to a damn fast car if that list is true!