custome tune/ ECU reflash/ chip Price logic.

ngc414

Im trying to figure out why an Renntech ECU/TCU reflash on my Mercedes is so expensive.
I have a turbo tweak chip in my WE4. I think I paid around $50, the car ran better and has better power. (Best mod I ever bought)

I had a custome SCT tune on my Mustang. 4hrs of dyno time, new chip and tuner dialing it in with his computer. car made over 100 more HP when done. around $650 total

I have a 04 Mercedes. It has the v12 twin turbo. I can send my ecu and Tcu to Renntech and they will reflash it. It will give me 605hp and 726 lb feet of torque. Sounds good. Price is $4800?? and thats a discount regular price was $6200!?
Is there any more involved on an ecu/tcu reflash to justify that cost?
Do they think MB owners just have the money to spend on "wants"? (I dont).
It just doesnt add up.

well if you can afford a mercedes

then you can afford the upkeep, i heard horror stories about how expensive they are to keep on the road. i've driven a few and sure they are nice but i'd rather a fatter wallet then a mercedes in my driveway. just my 02, but what would you expect, my bro in law works with a guy who drives one and said that he cant just change the oil, he has to change all the fluids or the check engine lite will stay on. something about it has to be reset, sound like mercedes is trying to find a way to keep you from going to some other garage to tuneups and oil changes. not sure if that's a fact but damn if it's that expensive to keep up i would rather buy a nice honda or something that costs less to keep on the road.

I hear about the up keep as well from other people. Im not sure if its just that most MB owners dont know much about cars and everything is done at the dealer or not. I know if I relied on the dealership to repair any of my cars I would be broke. Dealer rates are insane.

I have had no problems at all with mine and oil changes are not bad. I have had to change one $55 sensor, which was easy. My basic scan tool works on the car. I know the ABC suspension is the biggest fear with them (which is under warranty on mine), so no concern for now.

well good luck

with your mercedes, looks like you have an impressive garage. i'm sure the MB is the wife's car right? i know they are pretty quick cars. drove a 500SEL and that thing drove like a bat outta hell. fun car and very peppy, i just would rather have something more dependable and not costs alot for parts if needed. they are nice cars and i like them i just think the owner must be banking to be paying for the upkeep on those cars along with BMW's.

I test drove a few cars on my list and once I test drove the MB I fell in love with it. It is only driven maybe 3-5000 miles a year. The power and comfort is amazing compaired to anything I have driven. My wife drives the 09 Charger and I drive a f250 as a daily driver.
I had my heart set on a 05-07 Z06, but I have two young childern and wanted something with backseats that they could enjoy once and a while. so the Cl won out.