Did the stock headers have gaskets?

viokrome

Just pulled off the driver side header and found that there was no gasket! Is this normal ? I know it has never been off the car, its bone stock original...

Totally normal. I still don't use anything but there are options if you feel you need them.

Just pulled off the driver side header and found that there was no gasket! Is this normal ? I know it has never been off the car, its bone stock original...

yea from stock the cars came with no gaskets on lots of things, turbo to downpipe..header to tubo, headers to head but after a gazillion heat cycles things can get warped so if your planning not to use a gasket you have to mill the mating surface, or use a gasket i bought the fel pro 1400's..

I use the copper gaskets and the copper rtv sealant for the best no leak seal.

I was surprised also when i removed the header the first time and didn't see a gasket there.

Gasket will go fast when it heats up over time. Go with the copper as mentioned.

Thank for all the good advice, I ordered up a new kirbans driver side header to install and going to get my machine shop to weld up the original one.....new one should be nice and straight!

When you get it welded, place a gusset between the 3 & 5 tube to help prevent future cracking, which is common there.