Difference in Gas Tank's???

SHEPP2

Hi, I have a question regarding gas tanks. I have a 1987 GN and I have a parts car which is a 1985 Buick regal. My question is can I use the tank off of the 1985? I'm looking at them both as I have a leak in my 1987 tank. They measure the same but the insides are different as the 1985 tank is hallow as in empty as the 1987 tank has a different look of things? I'm not using the fuel pump unit just the tank....

No...The turbo gas tank has baffles to keep the gas from sloshing away from the fuel pump during hard acceleration..You need a baffled tank..

i wonder if a non baffled tank would work if it was filled with foam with a small section cut out for the hanger and float arm... road racers do this with success.

if money is tight throw it in. u can get a tr specific tank from rock auto 150 bucks with the right baffles. i ran an n/a tank for a while and had no problems

OK thanks....I just purchased one from 1A Auto for $131.95. It's crazy before my first feedback I had just put the other tank in an just as I was headed to go get some gas I got the first reply. "NO" baffled only
Thanks guy I LOVE THIS SITE!!

I received my gas tank and its not like the factory one at all. The insides are hollow with one curve in it. Are the new ones like that?

I received my gas tank and its not like the factory one at all. The insides are hollow with one curve in it. Are the new ones like that?
See if you can return it or exchange it for the correct gas tank. IIRC the FI fuel tank was only a few dollars more. Yes the aftermarket fuel tank for the SFI cars has the baffles.

Rock auto has the correct one. Cost a little more but you should get the right one for sure.

I just ordered the same tank from a1 auto. It specifically says for turbo application with baffles. I am going to flip the hell out if it's wrong.....

"This Buick Grand National or T-Type gas tank is just what you need to get your vehicle in good looking form again!

Specifications

Is rated at 17 gallons
Dimensions are 36 1/4" x 24 1/4" x 8 7/8"
Durable steel construction
Direct replacement for original gas tank
Includes lock ring set
Does not include straps ask sales representative about straps
INCLUDES BAFFLES!!!
Only for Turbocharged models
Ships only to the continental 48 states
This part is a direct bolt on and is built to strict quality control standards. It is a great replacement and has substantial cost savings over a dealer unit

A note on Gas Tank Shipping: Due to the nature and size, a gas tank may incur small dents and scratches from handling and load shifting during shipping. These damages do not affect the fit or function of the part. Neither our 60 Day satisfaction guarantee, nor the manufacturer's warranty, cover these insignificant damages."

Directly from their site. The pic on their site looks as if there's a baffle there too.

I'll take pictures of it when I get off from work but it's not the same as the factory one. It almost looks the same has my basic Buick regal tank except it has a metal bowl in the middle. Still very hollow inside if you ask me. My factory one is full in the inside as well as plastic. Has any one out there use the one from a1 auto.com?

I've had the pie plate for ten years on a street car- was all I could get at the time.
I figure if you keep the tank full its safe.

I've been driven mine as a weekly driver to work and back home it already sputters out at 5 gallons!! I have a digital dash and once it reads 5 gal at a stop sign or red light it starts sputtering. So keeping it on full to be safe will be a hard pill to take....

I just called 1aauto and they said that's the only one they have so know exchange so who has the right one. If someone has ordered one and it's the right one please post the site name. Thanks....

Got mine today from 1a and it has the same style you explain. The part number on the box and tank are identical to rockauto's tank. It does have other baffles around the pie deal but honestly if you run that low of fuel it's gonna be risky either way u go. As much as I'd love to be low on gas for weight issues....I'd rather be a few lbs heavier and know I'm not going lean cause of low fuel....lol

Attachments

• gas tank 6.jpg
    gas tank 6.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 280
  • gas tank 4.jpg
    gas tank 4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 325
  • gas tank 2.jpg
    gas tank 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 256
  • gas tank 5.jpg
    gas tank 5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 257
  • gas tank 1.jpg
    gas tank 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 258
  • gas tank 7.jpg
    gas tank 7.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 261
So......new tanks are available with full baffles?? Or do the new tanks only come with the dog dish??