Dual Chips

SIX2GO

I know that most of the street/strip and race guys in this forum run large injectors and 100% E85. However, do any of the daily driver/ street guys run dual chips. For example run 100% E85 with a TT E85 chip and 50 lb injectors then switch back to 93 octane with a chip burned to run the 50 lbs injectors. I realize this involves opening the ECM to switch chips but in South Carolina E85 pumps are plentiful but there is not one on every corner.

I plan to run this set up in a hot air car - an 84 GN.

Bobby

You can do it, but like you said it's a pain in the butt to change it all the time. I have done it a couple of times but i would prefer just pumping enough gas to get to the next E-85 pump, then to have to change out the chip all the time, Just keep the boost to a lower level if you just use pump gas. Plus it will take the ecm another 15 miles of city driving to learn the new chip again. I'm not so sure that is a good thing over and over again. you can always ask Eric at TT.

it wouldn't be a big deal if there was a way to get the chips to keep all your custom settings when you take them out..
it would be cool to have one of those setups like (i think) Hypertech used to sell for GM cars in the early/mid 90's- you plugged a few different chips into it, and used a toggle switch to switch between the different chips.

i know a lot of people run a mix of e85 and 87 or 91 octane anyway... usually around 50/50, on their e85 chip.

I have the same issue as you (except maybe worse)... there is only one e85 station where i live. I figure I'll put as much e85 as i can get in there when i fill up, and then if i have to dilute it a little bit with gasoline, its no big deal -- I'll just fill it up with 87 when my tank of e85 is halfway empty, and keep boost where it won't knock, even with a mix. Actually, since I only have 60 lb. injectors, I can probably only get away with 25 psi anyway before i start maxing them out.

Anyway, with a 50/50 mix, you apparently get almost as good mileage as with 100% gasoline, so that should be enough to get me where I'm going and back again, when I head out of town. And i always have my old 91 octane chip if i ever run out and have to put 100% gasoline in there. I'll just have to write down my custom tune settings on my e85 chip so i can adjust it right back when i put it back in.

so dual chips sounds like a good backup, but since a lot of people run a mix anyway, you probably wouldn't be forced to use it very often.

I'm hoping e85 gets a little more widespread around here though... i heard that maybe Murphy's (the wal mart gas station) is going to start putting pumps at all their locations? anybody else hear this?

it wouldn't be a big deal if there was a way to get the chips to keep all your custom settings when you take them out..
it would be cool to have one of those setups like (i think) Hypertech used to sell for GM cars in the early/mid 90's- you plugged a few different chips into it, and used a toggle switch to switch between the different chips.

The MAFT Pro gives you this ability +- 60% fueling, which in essence is like having many different chips. This is why I bought one.

If your using the latest TT chips the settings are so easy to put in, shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes at the most. I had two chips for my 83s and swapped them out when I wanted to run 93. It was no big deal.

The MAFT pro will make it easy for me to run different blends but Eric's new E-85 chips give you the ability to +- 20% the whole fuel table.

Great Info

Thanks to everyone for the information.

henschman, when you run the 50/50 mix with the E85 chip, other than keeping the boost low, do you make any other adjustments to compensate for the 50/50 blend (MAFT adjustments, TT E85 chip adjustments, etc.)?