E-85 and Meth. Injection

incharge

I cant tell if the Meth is helping at all with adding fuel . I am running straight E-85 and trying to run 28# of boost with out running lean. seems to run the same with or without spraying Meth (Yes it is definitely spraying) I am running 120# injectors , Reds double pumps , -10 Fuel line from tank to Champion rails on a 274 stroker motor. Are the two fuels compatable . It has to be helping right?

What is your dc% with it spraying and with it not? Or better yet depending on what type of ecm your running compare the correction% factor of both. I'm contiplating of doing the same thing this year you just beat me to it.

Been doing it for 2 years:rolleyes:Like adding another fuel pump what size nozzle /s running? If your duty cycle is way up there and your going lean add enough alky to make the difference maybe you need two bigger nozzles ? or go with 160# injectors?

Been doing it for 2 years:rolleyes:Like adding another fuel pump what size nozzle /s running? If your duty cycle is way up there and your going lean add enough alky to make the difference maybe you need two bigger nozzles ? or go with 160# injectors?

Have you compared dc% at a set boost level say 20psi with and without the alky. This would be some interested info.

I needed the Alky with a single pump 60# injectors and 49, I was maxing out my 60s , Rick and I will be doing some testing this year to see where the Duty cycle is with the new turbo, 80# injectors and 2 pumps.With the 49 & 80# injectors and double pumper 23 psi 100% E85 showing + 8 on the correction , I think we were around 75% I cant remember Maybe Rick knows? , So with the new turbo I will let you know I think I will max them 80s out , I think a a single nozzle and alky will take it where I need to be?

head gaskets

I can`t figure out how all you guys run such high boost numbers and keep head gaskets on your cars or maybe you change them every few passes and never let anyone know.
I just ran a 30-35% e-85 mix with my 93 octane pump on 19 lbs of boost on a 44 turbo and popped both head gaskets .
As my sig shows i run alkey control with a stock ecu and extender extreme chip.
I wasn`t trying to make big boost #`s or break into the 10`s or anything wild just a good pass after putting on a HR parts lower control arms and sway bar.The car did run 11.4 best pass so far but not worth the damage done ,which is still up in the air a bit.
I read alot on multiple forums and it seemed under 50% e-85 no re-tune needed ,well thats obviously NOT true.
Use my stupidity for your gain and know alittle more about your tune than i did.
Oh,and thet were stock head gaskets ,my folks at the shop say no mortal human can get cometics or rjc`s or copper or any long lasting gasket to seal up properly.
So for what its worth ?
Terry

You guys need EGT meters and wide-band oxygen sensors to keep an eye on "things". I thought the purpose of methanol injection was to cool the intake charge. FWIW, it take a bunch of methanol to add much "fuel" to the mix since the BTU value of methanol is about 1/2 that of gasoline! Sounds like it is time for bigger injectors and maybe a pump upgrade.
Hot Air

So it runs the same afr with or without the alky on? :confused:

IMO this is the #1 killer. To run big boost, you need big fuel pressure to match. The higher you raise fuel pressure, the less fuel the pump will flow. Thats where the hadicap is with our cars.

Now add the fact that you need 35% more fuel when using E85.

Yes I have a wide band and powerlogger hooked up and a 6,0 TT chip that has fuel correction and after 23# of boost the fuel correction start to max out so I turn the meth. injection up to the max and really does not seem to help . so what if I were to fill the meth bottle with E-85 or race gas and start injecting more fuel this way ? kinda like the 7th injector of old . just tring to think outside the box . I know that the next step is to go to a big external fuel pump .

ok watching E85 threads.. why would you run alky with it ??? I thought ya ran this fuel and ya could run fast with it :confused:

Yes I have a wide band and powerlogger hooked up and a 6,0 TT chip that has fuel correction and after 23# of boost the fuel correction start to max out so I turn the meth. injection up to the max and really does not seem to help . so what if I were to fill the meth bottle with E-85 or race gas and start injecting more fuel this way ? kinda like the 7th injector of old . just tring to think outside the box . I know that the next step is to go to a big external fuel pump .

Sounds to me like the fuel pump's are laying down. Are you sure they are both coming on?

I don't think it would make much difference if you spayed alky, race gas, or E85. Honestly I think the alky would be most effective. Thats the whole idea.

I don't know what kind of pump's red uses but IMO all intank (walbro style) pumps are weak.

I would throw a A1000 inline. ;)

The double pump has 2 brand new Walboro 340,s and fuel pressure is going up with the boost # I guess this motor is real thirsty .what is the best external pumps out there I heard you need to run some sort of controller to keep the fuel pump speed down when driving on the street. Fuel Lab, Magna flow, ??

Weldon,Fuelab, or Magnafuel:biggrin:Weldon and the Fuelab have a speed control high and low Wedon uses a speed controller, and the Fuelab you can use the hobbs for high speed

I can`t figure out how all you guys run such high boost numbers and keep head gaskets on your cars or maybe you change them every few passes and never let anyone know.
I just ran a 30-35% e-85 mix with my 93 octane pump on 19 lbs of boost on a 44 turbo and popped both head gaskets .
As my sig shows i run alkey control with a stock ecu and extender extreme chip.
I wasn`t trying to make big boost #`s or break into the 10`s or anything wild just a good pass after putting on a HR parts lower control arms and sway bar.The car did run 11.4 best pass so far but not worth the damage done ,which is still up in the air a bit.
I read alot on multiple forums and it seemed under 50% e-85 no re-tune needed ,well thats obviously NOT true.
Use my stupidity for your gain and know alittle more about your tune than i did.
Oh,and thet were stock head gaskets ,my folks at the shop say no mortal human can get cometics or rjc`s or copper or any long lasting gasket to seal up properly.
So for what its worth ?
Terry

You blew it up becuase of the E-85 mixed with your gas. Had you mixed in some 110/112/116 race gas with the fuel, you wouldnt of had any issues.

You play chemist sometimes the beaker explodes. It takes 2x the amount of alcohol to make the same power as fuel. When you cut down your pump fuel with the E85, you didnt compensate and leaned out your engine.. kabooom.

Same with water injection.. it leans out the motor.

The guys running meth injection with E-85 are doing so to cool the charge going into the motor.. and some for a bump in fueling. Not a bump in octane.

No problem with headgaskets.. they are just fuses in the end. You detonate it hard.. something has to go... gasket, piston, head, block.. that pressure has to go somewhere.

Keep it on 93 octane and keep an eye on your meth system.. you should have no problems running upwards of 25 PSI AS LONG AS IT DOESNT LEAN OUT.

Hope this helps.

I cant tell if the Meth is helping at all with adding fuel . I am running straight E-85 and trying to run 28# of boost with out running lean. seems to run the same with or without spraying Meth (Yes it is definitely spraying) I am running 120# injectors , Reds double pumps , -10 Fuel line from tank to Champion rails on a 274 stroker motor. Are the two fuels compatable . It has to be helping right?

What are you using for engine management?

Are you loggiing methanol pressure?

Logging fuel pressure?

If not.. start there.

Give us a powerlogger run to see what's happening. Make sure you take the base WOT fuel up (param #4) like we discussed on the phone to give you more correction room.

Eric

Eric I have not been able to try that yet it next on the list, The plug gap you told me worked like a charm though no more miss above 20# And it been raining here so no more test runs lately I will let you know soon when I change the chip fueling . Thanks for all youir help .