E-85 and Meth. Injection

Reading this page reminded me of a guy at the track.

He was running a diesel compound setup(duramax) with a secondary 114 turbo.

They could not get enough supply to the motor with the stock gear driven high pressure pump, so they used a factory fuel pump off a belt drive to get more fuel to the motor.

I talked with them, yes it would be bad if the belt broke, but its a diesel.

Food for thought, what about running a belt drive fuel pump for more supply with the alternative fuel you guys are running? The duramax fuel pump was the same size as our power steering pump.

BW

even cooler, you seen the new cable driven rear mount fuel pump setups? Only takes a small mandrel to drive it off the motor so you dont have that big ass pump to deal with, and they are RPM dependent and wont heat the fuel. They are awesome

well it's not available around us .. BUT I have been watching threads about it.. Some guy ran low 10s with it a while ago. Seems a lot are trying it BUT I haven't read about results with it.. Oh Julio bugged me for a LONG time to try alky!! Tuff trying to teach an old dog new tricks :eek::p

Grumpy there is a station in Boston and one in Chelsea with e 85 , I have upped pump & injector size and getting a wideband in place on my sc 3800 to start blending some of it in march befor NED opens in april.

regarding the blending being more risky due to seasonal changes , if you verify 85% when on summer blend and tune for it any other seasonal blends should have less ethanol and go rich not lean so as long as you have a means to monitor knock from the lost intake charge cooling you should be reasonbly safe.

Of course a good used longblock that will tolerate a lot of abuse is only $400 or so in my world , I guess if I was risking a GN "stage" motor I may feel running a consistent race fuel would be a better option to protect my investment but the fastest series 2 3800 car runs 8.6's @158 on a stock short block boosting the crap out of it with twin turbo's.

Grumpy there is a station in Boston and one in Chelsea with e 85 , I have upped pump & injector size and getting a wideband in place on my sc 3800 to start blending some of it in march befor NED opens in april.

hmmm .. I won't drive 20 miles just to go get gas :p Again I am interested how Buick STREET cars are doin with it :cool:

chips

I guess my point to all is e-85 is a great fuel.But,go ahead and get a chip for it right away instead of experimenting as i did.By the way i do have a wideband but at 118 plus looking around the cockpit is hard for me as i`m not that experienced a drag racer but i`I`ll get better at it as time goes by.
We don`t seem to have any fluxuations in e-85 here for winter a s it usually doesn`t vary that much like up north temp wise..Some of the supra guys got testing kits and we all buy from the same source.
thanks for the help.

I have my scanmaster located on top of the dash, directly in my line of sight. Going down the track I can see it just fine and still make sure the path ahead is clear. My feedback on motor is more important than the "look" of where my gauges are placed during tuning. If you are not able to make the adjustments to monitor the mixture and detonation during testing and tuning, dont be surprised if it goes boom. :redface:

Murph, my mixing comment had to do with the octane loss, not it going lean, I actually said once it starts going fat BTW.

Murph, my mixing comment had to do with the octane loss, not it going lean, I actually said once it starts going fat BTW.

gotcha , there are 2 things to consider when you get higher or lower ethanol concentration

1 richer vs leaner
2 higher vs lower octane

(less ethanol % richer but lower octane value - more ethanol % leaner but higher octane)

There is a 3rd consideration...more ethanol (or methanol), higher heat of vaporization....i.e. more heat is sucked out of the air/fuel stream which lowers the tendency to detonate. Ethanol and methanol are both chemical intercoolers!

I needed the Alky with a single pump 60# injectors and 49, I was maxing out my 60s , Rick and I will be doing some testing this year to see where the Duty cycle is with the new turbo, 80# injectors and 2 pumps.With the 49 & 80# injectors and double pumper 23 psi 100% E85 showing + 8 on the correction , I think we were around 75% I cant remember Maybe Rick knows? , So with the new turbo I will let you know I think I will max them 80s out , I think a a single nozzle and alky will take it where I need to be?

Have you and Rick done any testing on this subject. Inj.% duty cycle at a fixed boost level with alky and then without, something safe like 20-22psi for e85.