E85 effects after 1 seson

maybe some have openly vented tanks and some are running a sealed system see video.a car in a wet state with an open to atmosphere tank would obviously be different to a dry state with sealed system.fuel system differences may make a difference too some pump and reg combos will heat the fuel a lot some not so much

To bring this thread to a close I can't say beyond a 100% reasonable doubt that E85 was the cause of all the rust in this motor. I didn't see the inside pre E85 and is impossible to know the condition or what previous owner did with the it prior. With so many peeps having good luck with the stuff, this seems to be a isolated case. Most damage we read about is in the fuel system not inside the engines. In all my searching related to E85 I never did see another engine that looked like this being related to fuel.

For the rerecord I never said not to run E85. I simply was saying not to leave the car sit for long periods of time with E85.

Rick

My car sits a lot and I go for shorter rides than most. Water will accumulate and even contaminate the oil if your not watching temps. With that said, my borescope shows my valves, Pistons, and cylinder walls looking perfect after 1.5 years on E85.

My car sits a lot and I go for shorter rides than most. Water will accumulate and even contaminate the oil if your not watching temps. With that said, my borescope shows my valves, Pistons, and cylinder walls looking perfect after 1.5 years on E85.

Good info.

For the record, what thermostat do you run?

Rick

I've read that orange tint to cylinder walls etc is caused by store bought octane boosters that use magnesium substitues.

Just to add a data point.

I run sprint cars, they run mechanical injection on straight methanol.
They are inherently very rich at idle and difficult to get up to temperature.
I run on dirt tracks, ring wear is a serious issue (leads to more fuel dilution of oil).
You will see condensation of fuel in the tops of the valve covers, as not all the fuel vapor can escape through the breathers in the oil tank and the crankcase.

That said, I've never seen rust in a crankcase. (iron blocks, steel rods, steel cranks, iron cams, steel lifters, roller bearing cam... etc)