E85 Goo, How To Say Goo Bye To It!!

Chriss. So since the Lucas Oil E85 Safeguard treatment seams to fix this problem when it arrises, do you think it’s a good solution?

D

Does lucas have proof of this like a gas tank rusting then you pour it in and it cures the problem? Honestly I dont know i dont use that junk i mean "stuff" :p J,k Nick! Nick must hate me already lol..Love ya bro!

yeah maybe it does do a great job to protect against corrosion?! I honestly couldn't tell you ive never used it? But to buy it on ever fill up LOL must not be that great the first time around :D

Hey Nick thanks for adding the Sta-bil product to the discussion. I read about others having luck using it and not getting the Goo, but I didn't find any info on those who did have the Goo, use Sta-bil and it went away like the Lucas has. But that doesn't mean there isn't anyone out there, which is what this thread is about, cures that work.

Hey 87Chrisss, I had my GN tank cleaned and added a drain to it before going to E85. I also used a new Bosch 044 pump (in-tank) when switching to E85 and already had a new SS braided fuel system on the car. I have a thread in here from like 10' that shows some issues with what I believe to be a water issue too with E85. I don't have pics of my Goo issue but I did bring my injectors to Caspers Electronics here in IL and John cleaned the goo out so it was real.

I never used the Lucas Oil Stabilizer in my GTO or GN, but I now add it to my GTO just as another precaution even though it doesn't need it due to it's fuel system. I haven't driven my GN since Summer of 11' so I can't comment on it in my GN but it's going in with the new engine in 14' that's for sure.

There are facts that are now identified, the Goo or Tar is from a Petroleum molecule in the E85 fuel. Just add the Lucas and your worries are over. ;)

Maybe junk was a bad choice of words. I agree.. But you don't need it.

I know the reason why that happen to the op or can give him an idea why that might have happened to him.

1. Betcha he probably has the same stock filter on it and hasn't changed it in a while.

2.If it was the same tank he used his regular pump gas in, there is a chance he never thoroughly cleaned it before the swap.
Why you ask?
Sediment from pump gas loves to hang out on the bottom of your tank... Let it dry out and it coats the tank with sediment. Guess what the Ethanol does to that sediment yep..Breaks it down and causes the sediment to dissolve that's the junk you see in the pic.

What are the 3 most known Ethanol problems,
1. Fuel pump goes out.
2. Fuel filter clogged with mysterious GOOO & the filter is brownish or blackish :D
3. Clogged injectors.

Chris, this may come as a suprise, but I do agree with all you have stated! :)

On most GN's I prefer to use a new fuel tank for E-85 as the original is a big unknown and do not trust them.

Magnafuel SS in-line with the feedline. The Bosch 044 has an internal filter and BTW, this filter or gas tank theory is weak. So lets get this straight, rust mixed with E85 is causing a black tar/goo that builds up on the injectors?
So why did new Mitsubishi Evo's get the goo, old rusty tanks, bad new fuel pump filters?

The reason I started this thread was to kill theories like the above from emitting on the internet any longer, there are now facts to what is causing the tar/goo and I posted the solutions and what's causing the molecule to form into the tar and even examples of those using the product that stopped the Goo. What's left is having a GN member with the Goo start with the Lucas and post back so that those who don't believe, can because a GN did it and not some Import or Carbureted engine.

:rolleyes: The reason I started this thread was to kill theories like the above from emitting on the internet any longer,

Ok well I dont have the problem neither does anyone i know. Im done here, hope you figure it out. Maybe the lucas might fix your mysterious GOO/ tar build up,have a good one.

That's funny.. I've been running 160's for a while & i've never seen that on my inj's. & i run str8 E85 out of the pump lol.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

There are facts that are now identified, the Goo or Tar is from a Petroleum molecule in the E85 fuel. Just add the Lucas and your worries are over. ;)
I get this goo on the tips of my injectors and it builds up very fast. I wouldn't want to wait 3 months to flush with gasoline,although I did find that the gasoline gets rid of it completely. Thank you for this info. I will put it to use in the spring.
I've also noticed that the E85 I use smells like strong rum. There is another station near me that sells E85 that has very little odor and certainly doesn't smell like rum. I think it would be worth my time to use this other and see if the goo presents itself. I'll post my findings.

I get this goo on the tips of my injectors and it builds up very fast. I wouldn't want to wait 3 months to flush with gasoline,although I did find that the gasoline gets rid of it completely. Thank you for this info. I will put it to use in the spring.
I've also noticed that the E85 I use smells like strong rum. There is another station near me that sells E85 that has very little odor and certainly doesn't smell like rum. I think it would be worth my time to use this other and see if the goo presents itself. I'll post my findings.

You said on on your tip. lol. Sorry. Funny stuff.

Maybe junk was a bad choice of words. I agree.. But you don't need it.

2.If it was the same tank he used his regular pump gas in, there is a chance he never thoroughly cleaned it before the swap.
Why you ask?
Sediment from pump gas loves to hang out on the bottom of your tank... Let it dry out and it coats the tank with sediment. Guess what the Ethanol does to that sediment yep..Breaks it down and causes the sediment to dissolve that's the junk you see in the pic.

Chris,

What is the best way to clean the tank?

Chris,

What is the best way to clean the tank?

Few different options, i have used muriatic acid / phosphoric acid and i have also taken a tank to a radiator shop to tank it. There is the old school trick of nuts and bolts with some vinegar and degreaser but i stick with what has worked for me.

On the other hand I have used E85 much in the past, to avoid any headaches with tanks i just buy a new Galvanized tank.

I really wish the OP would understand that i know why he is forming that sludge crap its because of his gas tank. But hey, if he thinks a bottle of lucas can help than by all means buy one every fill up and let me know how it goes. The following doesn't belong to me but its some good info. This is in regards to Gas Station E85 storage.

Tanks Cleaning Tanks If another type of fuel was stored in the tank that will be used for the E85, it must be cleaned because storing gasoline causes some particulates to settle out and form a sludge. Introducing alcohol into these tanks will place this sludge into suspension and will lead to serious problems with vehicle driveability. There are several methods for cleaning sludge from the bottom of a tank. Each method must be completed by a certified and bonded company familiar with cleaning petroleum storage tanks.

I got a slightly used tank from a buddy - and while overall it is in great shape - when I drained it of the residual gas - the bucket I poured the gas into had a large amount of the usual - ? - what? - sediment?
That brownish looking stuff.
Almost like very fine dirt.
I guess I can flush it with some more gas and shake.
Can't see the chain or nuts n bolts working since it has the internal baffles.
I suppose I'll just try some more clean gas and shake it until it comes out clean

You can wash it out with a water hose. Just put a shop vac in the opening afterward and blow it dry. Won't cause any problems.

Same price at Oreilly Auto parts

You might want to check the price again. I bought it yesterday at O'Reilly's and it's $10.99 plus tax so the total was $11.79

The price is cheaper on Amazon at $7.99 but shipping is $4.48 so total is $12.47 plus it says will ship in 3 to 4 days then you have to wait for it to be delivered,so not such a good deal.

You might want to check the price again. I bought it yesterday at O'Reilly's and it's $10.99 plus tax so the total was $11.79

The price is cheaper on Amazon at $7.99 but shipping is $4.48 so total is $12.47 plus it says will ship in 3 to 4 days then you have to wait forrkit to be delivered,so not such a good deal.

And your in a different location and prices do change throughout the market.

The price is cheaper on Amazon at $7.99 but shipping is $4.48 so total is $12.47 plus it says will ship in 3 to 4 days then you have to wait for it to be delivered,so not such a good deal.

Oops! I could have sworn it said free shipping when I posted the Amazon link. :confused:

Very interesting. I've not seen it yet myself but I do believe you guys 100%.

Ok guys, you are all looking into this waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy too far. Like TType6 said, just run a half tank of gasoline through it a couple times a year and you wont have the problem.