e85 pros/cons

oddfire6

ok, forgive me for being so stupid. they just started selling e85 near me and was wondering what some pros/cons are and if its worth running. if it is what mods need to be done to run it. thanks

Oddfire6,
Look back through other posts for the info needed.
Conrad

Oddfire6,
Look back through other posts for the info needed.
Conrad

Conrad is correct. Go back and search from the begining, and read every post in this section. You will find many answers to your questions! E85 is great!, I have no complaints running 29 pounds of boost at $3.58 gallon:D

I was also reading that it is corrosive to aluminum, so you wouldnt be able to run an aluminum fuel cell, aluminum fuel rails, etc. I wonder if billet aluminum would be ok?

Methanol is bad news for aluminum. Ethanol is not nearly as aggressive. You will be ok.
Conrad

Methanol is bad news for aluminum. Ethanol is not nearly as aggressive. You will be ok.
Conrad

Well exactly how aggressive? I'd love to use E85 but if it would eat away at my fuel cell/champion fuel rails slowly. I still wouldnt want to use it.

It is my understanding that you don't have to worry about it. I plan to run it in my Champion rails. If you are worried, get the inside of the rails anodized.
Conrad

It is my understanding that you don't have to worry about it. I plan to run it in my Champion rails. If you are worried, get the inside of the rails anodized.
Conrad

Could you explain anodizing to me? I see it all the time about fittings being anodized. Is it just a coating? Wouldnt a little nick in the anodizing remove the protection? Just curious.

Anodizing is a thin, tough coating that can be applied to aluminum. The aluminum bumpers on my 74 Z28 were anodized from the factory. A lot of the AN fittings are anodized blue.
Conrad