e85 test

garyk1970

Electronics Moderator
Staff member
put two pumps back in the tank,and found a e85 gas staion 40 miles away. filled her up ($2.09 gal:cool: ) turned fuel pressure up and started home....my coil pack is weak,when boost comes in its cutting out (i put the ORIGINAL pack back on just for a car show).
so tomorrow ill put on my msd wires back on and a new pack on and test again.not running the right chip (TT gas)or injectors(42's) but, the butt dyno even at 14psi is great.....and no knock untill the coil pack acts up.......
will look for 11 on the wide band and safely play around some tomorrow.

Gary,
This E-85 stuff is the perfect marriage for your Methanol designed vehicle!
Do you know the make and size of the OEM injectors?

Gary,
This E-85 stuff is the perfect marriage for your Methanol designed vehicle!
Do you know the make and size of the OEM injectors?

i can tell the difference even at part throttle,and wow.
i read where they used 83's?? or something odd back then....i have blue tops in there now.....thats the only parts i was missing that they used originally; injectors and chip.
60's and get my TT chip re-burned is in the near future:biggrin: if its going to run like i think it will on e85.....
e85 is the way to go IMHO because of the availability of the fuel around here and how easy it was to run it in my car.

im running 20 gallons e85,10 gal 93.....turned boost to 16-17 psi.....wideband on 10.5 no knock and wow.....my car has never run better......if any knock shows i will be off throttle......

i have a ungo air wide band,only goes down to 10.0...... some 60 inj and chip is going to be awesome.....

im running 20 gallons e85,10 gal 93.....turned boost to 16-17 psi.....wideband on 10.5 no knock and wow.....my car has never run better......if any knock shows i will be off throttle......

i have a ungo air wide band,only goes down to 10.0...... some 60 inj and chip is going to be awesome.....

Get'r done! ;)

kind of what i hear about alky kits, i don't know why i didn't do this eariler:cool: ......esspecially after embarrassing myself at Renyolds....:rolleyes:

kind of what i hear about alky kits, i don't know why i didn't do this eariler:cool: ......esspecially after embarrassing myself at Renyolds....:rolleyes:

Alky kits and 93 are cool but no match for a straight E-85 tune. You like the way the torque comes on dont ya ?? ;) E-85 is pretty good stuff.

Alky kits and 93 are cool but no match for a straight E-85 tune. You like the way the torque comes on dont ya ?? ;) E-85 is pretty good stuff.

yes:biggrin: ,my car has never spun the tires at 50mph before:eek: ....man i cant wait for some 60's and the chip(drag radials:eek: ).....how many psi is everyone getting with a safe tune?

another advantage,actually two ,are; no running out of alky,and no danger of damage if i did.....

Glad to see that some of you are fginally seeing the light. Just be sure you have enough fuel injector and fuel pump. Remember, you will need a 30% larger injector and pump because there is 30% LESS energy in a gallon of ethanol than there is in a gallon of gasoline! Of course, the 105 octane and the high latent heat of vaporization (sucks heat out of the compressed air/fuel mixture...i.e., a chemical intercooler) of ethanol really waken up a turbo motor. I would encourage all of you to slowly increase the E85 content of your "gas tank" from 25% to 100% while monitoring the fuel pressure, knock, exhaust gas temp, O2, etc. Good luck and don't beat on those pesky Mustangs and Camaros too hard!

Conrad Carter

Glad to see that some of you are fginally seeing the light. Just be sure you have enough fuel injector and fuel pump. Remember, you will need a 30% larger injector and pump because there is 30% LESS energy in a gallon of ethanol than there is in a gallon of gasoline! Of course, the 105 octane and the high latent heat of vaporization (sucks heat out of the compressed air/fuel mixture...i.e., a chemical intercooler) of ethanol really waken up a turbo motor. I would encourage all of you to slowly increase the E85 content of your "gas tank" from 25% to 100% while monitoring the fuel pressure, knock, exhaust gas temp, O2, etc. Good luck and don't beat on those pesky Mustangs and Camaros too hard!

Conrad Carter

thanks,slowly adjusting car,its resonding very well.added 20gal of e85 today $1.99 gal.....:cool:

guys i have aquestion about the reliability of running e85 on regular fuel pump and lines??? i know alchohol fuels usually eat up parts that reg fuel doesnt?????

Methanol is the aggresive alcohol. Not ethanol...as in E85! You should not have a problem with E85 eating the tank, fuel lines, pump, injectors, etc. Just be sure the fuel system is up to snuff. If you have some old rubber hose in the fuel system, I would strongly recommend that you replace it with new hose. Of course, I would do that whether running E85 or straight gasoline. Hose is cheap...... a fuel leak (fire?) due to old, brittle, cracking fuel hose is just not smart!

Replace those old vacuum hoses as well! A vacuum leak will cause the fuel system to go LEAN which is NOT a good thing under any circumstance but doubly not good with E85!

Conrad

guys i have aquestion about the reliability of running e85 on regular fuel pump and lines??? i know alchohol fuels usually eat up parts that reg fuel doesnt?????

Now over 25,000 miles on my daily driver running E-85 with stock fuel system, except for an upgraded pump, bigger injectors and a matching chip. :cool: The car already had the upgraded pump when I got it. So I bought some bigger injectors and a chip and I was off and running.

too lean if your straight e-85
shoot for afr's in the 8's
thats how i have it set in the xfi box
-dan

Most WBo2's use a gasoline afr scale. WBo2s measure lambda, not AFR and then use a look up chart to compute afr. Since best power lambda on E85 is very close to best power gasoline lambda, he is correct in aiming for low 11s afr on his wideband with a gasoline look-up scale.

I would make certain that your xfi is set up with an e85 scale vs gasoline otherwise you will be way too rich.

Most WBo2's use a gasoline afr scale. WBo2s measure lambda, not AFR and then use a look up chart to compute afr. Since best power lambda on E85 is very close to best power gasoline lambda, he is correct in aiming for low 11s afr on his wideband with a gasoline look-up scale.

I would make certain that your xfi is set up with an e85 scale vs gasoline otherwise you will be way too rich.

This is correct, I have my WB set at 11.0. XFI can run E85 scales and AFR 8 sounds right, I think some are even set in the 6 range with XFI. And remember E85 will make more power when rich vs. lean.

This is correct, I have my WB set at 11.0. XFI can run E85 scales and AFR 8 sounds right, I think some are even set in the 6 range with XFI. And remember E85 will make more power when rich vs. lean.

Yep.. rich is better than lean for power.. cool huh :biggrin:

Tell me more... How common is ethanol at gas stations? How much cheaper is it than gas?
What will I need to run it. Total, out the door.
And... If you're running low, and you can't find any E85, what's your contingency..

Availability...depends on where you drive. Seems to be common in the midwest. Doesn't seem to be available in small towns in North Carolina.

Lets' get this straight....you don't burn E85 because it is cheap because it probably won't be. You burn it because it has a higher heat of vaporization which means it sucks heat out of the air/fuel going into the combustion chamber and because it is 105 octane! In otgher words, you can turn up the boost w/o running race gas. It WILL take 30% more E85 to equal the energy in a gallon of gasoline so make sure you have plenty of injector band width and a fuel pump capable of pumping 30% more fuel at the required pressure.

If you run out of E85, you could probable get back home ok as long as you stay out of boost. I would swap the E85 chip for a gasoline chip when I filled up with gasoline just to be on the safe side.

Most folks slowly increase the % of E85 slowly and keep an eye on the injector duty cycle and the O2 levels.

If you are going to do this, read everything you can so you know the answers to these questions yourself.

Hope this helps.

Conrad

i have 60lb injectors, walbro 340hw and a tt chip. could i run it if i get the chip reburned or is it not that simple? thanks.