Emissions in texas

junction34

I heard that in the state of texas that once a car has reached either twenty (or twenty five) years old it does not have to pass emissions. Is this true? Also can you pass emissions with a alky kit? :confused:

If you register the car as an antique @ 25 years you do not have to get it inspected at all. You are only supposed to use the car for shows and stuff, not daily driven. The license plate fee is real cheap as well.
My 2 pass without cats & alky but I am not in a metro area.

my roomate has a 1976 ranchero. He has it inspected every year by law and all he has to pass is the saftey inspection. He drives day to day. In five years mine will be past that mark. I wont to drive it day to day but that is also five years from now.

emmisions

Hi,
25 years is the emissions cutoff in the Houston area. We are in one of the six or so non compliance areas of the state, hence we must undergo testing.My 93 passed last year with a stock converter, have the motor out this year, will see how she does with the 009 injectors when I reassemble and install the motor.2 more years and my car is exempt, though I would like it to be clean anyway.

yep, once car is 25 years old it only has to pass a safety inspection, lights, horn, seat belts, wipers, brakes, and steering in working order, if you are in one of the emission testing counties....it varies by country which ones have full emissions / tread mill testing for cars under 25 years old. The safety inspection is only $10 or so.
Getting the car registered as an Antique is a little more difficult, unless you are only going to drive it to a show or parade...if you are caught driving it otherwise you'll get some steep fines is what the county clerk told me when I inquired about that...so I elected to leave it as it was so I could drive it anytime.

ok thanks for the help guys. Five more years to go. Then i will be out of college and able to put some real money into her or just an 87! :cool:

Score! Do the emissions equipment still have to be there after 25 years? Would it be legal for me to throw away my waterlogged and rusted cats on my Rx-7?

madhat said:
Score! Do the emissions equipment still have to be there after 25 years? Would it be legal for me to throw away my waterlogged and rusted cats on my Rx-7?

Depends on where you go. I have not had a cat on my car for years, but i always go to the same inspection station. Just hollow it out if you are worried.

well i guess I shouldn't worry...my GN has never had its cat on it...the clogged original came in a box...and the only thing they have ever complained about is a high beam being out.

Does the required readings depend on the county?
My car just passed with flying colors with a plugged cat I ran a LOT of oil through from a bad motor. This is a new motor but I KNOW she is a bit rich at the bottom end.

FWIW ......
There a new guy at the place I had it tested and the "former tester" is in jail.
Apparently, the story has it that he sold stickers to a local club. One of the cars got tested somehow, they went back to the station, went through his books, threw him in jail and fined everyone they could find.

Jerryl said:
Does the required readings depend on the county?
My car just passed with flying colors with a plugged cat I ran a LOT of oil through from a bad motor. This is a new motor but I KNOW she is a bit rich at the bottom end.

FWIW ......
There a new guy at the place I had it tested and the "former tester" is in jail.
Apparently, the story has it that he sold stickers to a local club. One of the cars got tested somehow, they went back to the station, went through his books, threw him in jail and fined everyone they could find.

i wont get into it but if you need a car inspected that wont pass its not hard to find a place that will help you out. :wink: