Enclosed Car Trailer Recommendations

gordyzx9r

Well..I'm under a year out from returning back to the states and it's time I started looking for a car trailer and I need some help sorting out the good from the bad and what I really need over what I want.

I have a budget of $12K. I've been watching ebay...but I haven't seen anything yet that has caught my eye.

If it has to be built, it has to be available in CA by June of '08.

I want an enclosed, tag trailer (yeah I know the goose necks are better but this isn't negotiable).

I plan on using this thing occasionally it's not like I'll be taking the car to track meets around the country. Maybe just some of the more popular Buick events and get togethers. I'm thinking under a dozen trips a year.

I plan on being able to put the GN and the Ninja in the trailer at the same time (at least I hope too anyways).

These are the dimensions I've been going off of when looking at trailers online (I hope the one about the GN is right):

1987 Buick Grand National (Regal): weight 3,520lbs, length 200.6”, & wheelbase 108".

1997 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R (motorcycle): weight 403.5lbs, length 80.7”, & wheelbase 55.7”

My first thought is that a 24' enclosed car trailer would be sufficient.

I would like to park the motorcycle in front of or behind the car, parked perpendicular to the direction the trailer is facing. I think it would be better to park the bike in front of the car closer to the front of the trailer. But I'll need to hear some ideas about that.

To accomodate the bike, I imagine the trailer would need additional floor mounts and some wall mounts (I think I've seen tracks advertised at some sites for the walls of the trailers). I would also like a removeable motorcycle wheel chock as well.

These are the other requirements that I think I need:
Bumper Pull (tag)
5,000lbs Axles
Stoneguard
4 5,000lbs Floor Mounted D-Rings
Roof Vents
Dome Lights with a Wall Mounted Switch
Corner Trim
Spare Tire

I'm not really interested in cabinets.

I have pulled trailers before (small ones mind you), but I've never had a car trailer before so I'm not up to speed on how far in you would actually want to park the car in the trailer, or the best methods to tie it down inside the trailer.

I will be towing this with my new truck, a brand new (left over) 2006 GMC 2500HD SLE.

So far, online, I've looked at the following brands/manufacturers:

Carson Trailers
Classic Trailers XT Dominator Series
Exiss Trailers Mach 10
Performance Specialty
R&R Aluminum Trailers
Pac West Trailers
United Trailers
US Cargo Trailers

I've done a search here and on the other Buick boards and there isn't much outside of a couple of people complaining about Haulmark trailers.

I'd like some recommendations on trailers and the different manufacturers.

I'd like some recommendations on options I should get and the options I should stay away from.

I'd like some tips on loading, securing, pulling, and unloading.

And anything else you would think is pertintent.

I've started looking at dealers in CA but I'm not sure about pricing and what would constitute a good deal.

Like this one...

Haulmark 24' Race Trailer for $11K

I'm a little biased. I looked at all the major brands, not just the overall stuff, but the little details/construction, etc.

I decided to go with the Classic Dominator (not XT) mine's a 24' and came with a finished interior (something you pay for on many other models).
I needed mine to help with my move to TN, so I also went ahead and completely equipped mine with an E Track system (two rails down each side of the trailer.
IMHO I wouldn't consider another brand even if I had to do it again.

With the Dominator XT your getting cabinets up front, which you'll have to decide if they're worth the added expense because they'll take away floor space.
a 24' XT probably wouldn't have enough floor space for both the car and your toy. Once you get the car load balanced there probably wouldn't be enough room behind the car. So in the XT you'd probably have to opt for a 26'.

Are you sure you measured your Buick correctly? I seem to remember laying the tape under mine and it being every bit of 18' tip to tip.

Anyway, my non XT (no cabinets or exterior lights) with the car loaded has a good 6'+ in front of the car.

Don't hesitate to holler if you have any questions. How soon do you need one? (I have an alterior motive for asking ;) )

Here's a picture of my 24' Dominator. BTW I love the single handle rear door!!

Trailer6 pictures from cars photos on webshots

Look on For Sale: race & performance cars, engines, engine parts, trailers for trailers, they have tons for sale.

I would go with a 26'-28' with 6,000lb axles. But seriously consider a gooseneck or a 5ver, they are much more stable. Anything more longer then you get into triple axles, ect,ect. The above length trailers will leave some room for a golf cart or ATV as a pit bike. The Ninja might not be a good pit bike unless you want to ride to the store outside the track for some goodies.

If you have some extra money get the electrical package and possibly the HVAC system. NEver know when you're going to be at the track and foul weather comes along and that heat or AC could come in handy.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I'm a little biased. I looked at all the major brands, not just the overall stuff, but the little details/construction, etc.

I decided to go with the Classic Dominator (not XT) mine's a 24' and came with a finished interior (something you pay for on many other models).
I needed mine to help with my move to TN, so I also went ahead and completely equipped mine with an E Track system (two rails down each side of the trailer.
IMHO I wouldn't consider another brand even if I had to do it again.

With the Dominator XT your getting cabinets up front, which you'll have to decide if they're worth the added expense because they'll take away floor space.
a 24' XT probably wouldn't have enough floor space for both the car and your toy. Once you get the car load balanced there probably wouldn't be enough room behind the car. So in the XT you'd probably have to opt for a 26'.

Are you sure you measured your Buick correctly? I seem to remember laying the tape under mine and it being every bit of 18' tip to tip.

Anyway, my non XT (no cabinets or exterior lights) with the car loaded has a good 6'+ in front of the car.

Don't hesitate to holler if you have any questions. How soon do you need one? (I have an alterior motive for asking ;) )

Here's a picture of my 24' Dominator. BTW I love the single handle rear door!!

Trailer6 pictures from cars photos on webshots

The hallmark you have in this link is definately a nice one, although I don't like black trailer (HOT, show the dirt too easilly) That same trailer in white would be pretty nice.
When you start looking at hallmarks that have the interior finished like that and all that shiny diamond plate the price is going to be up in the 11k range or higher as you're finding.
I got the finished interior, but didn't need all the fancy shiny diamond plate, so it only listed out for 8K
I also like the fairly light weight of the Classics, mine weighs in at about 3500 empty, only a couple hundred pounds more that a Featherlight of comperable size but FL's are budget busters.
I was all over and under that trailer before I bought it, and was amazed at the quality and strength of construction and still maintaining light weight.

Whatever you do, stay with a top name brand. Don't cheap out and get one of those that, for example, have the tongue welded under the frame. You want the tongue to be at least 2x6 square box rails that actually go back into the frame and are part of it. Look for strength, quality.

Racingjunk.com usually has something worth salivating over at every price point, new and used. Do a search under the Towing category and add a subcategory of either Used Trailers or New Trailers, and enter your price range.

You may need to join RJ (well worth the couple of minutes it takes) to do advanced searches; otherwise, search to the limits allowed.

I'd go with the 28' over the 24'. I had a 24' and always seemed to fill it up with barely any room to strap the car down. I bought a 28' and have room for a golf cart in front of the car and plenty of room for tools and other stuff. I still fill the 28' for those long race trips and have even thought of going to a 32'.

I just bought a 28 ft pace silver shadow. I would not go any smaller than 28ft but I have alot of things I like to bring with me. I would pay close attention to GVWR. I have seen some that only had 4000 pounds of usable load! I would look at racingjunk.com and compare prices.

I needed mine to help with my move to TN, so I also went ahead and completely equipped mine with an E Track system (two rails down each side of the trailer. IMHO I wouldn't consider another brand even if I had to do it again.

That's the one I've been looking at more than any other...

The RT2483TE with the following options:

SPARE ST205/75R15 LRC TIRE ON WHITE MOD WHEEL
SPARE TIRE CARRIER LOWER WALL
60"H X 84"W ALUMINUM EXTENSION RAMP FOR RAMP DOORS I.L.O. STD
LED LIGHTING PACKAGE UPGRADE
MOTORCYCLE (2) TIRE SHOE TIE DOWN SYSTEM
MOTORCYCLE MX TIE DOWNS 1000# CAP. (INSTALLED)
JACKS, STABILIZER - SWING DOWN (PER PAIR)
E-TRACK SURFACE MOUNTED (SPECIFY LOCATION)
LIGHT DUTY TIE-DOWN PACKAGE (9) LD TIE-DOWNS LOOSE
ROPE TIE DOWNS 1,000#, LOOSE, NOT INSTALLED
60" H-DUTY TRIPLE TUBE TONGUE WITH 15K 2-5/16" COUPLER

Just need to see if I can track down a dealer in CA.

If going with 28' then I would go with a gooseneck or 5ver. You'll have that extra room up top for storage or a good spot for a "quickie";) or a nap.

I think Otto had one for sale but not sure.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Think "Aluminum"

28'+. tag along. BUT...
NOTHING tows like a gooseneck. Buy right, buy once. 36'+
Racingjunk.com...excellent source.:smile:
Bought mine there, sold the old one there in one day.

The Ninja might not be a good pit bike unless you want to ride to the store outside the track for some goodies.

The ninja would make a horrible pit bike, it's big and fat for a crotch rocket. But I have to get it, my tools, the Buick, and some other stuff from one side of the country to the other and at the end of it all I'd like to have my own car trailer.

Well...quotes are starting to pour in.

I contacted a couple of dealers via email in the SoCal area. This is a quote for a Pace Pursuit.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about Pace? I need to find out if their roofs are the seemless type.

And is it a good idea to get roof vents? Do they leak at all?

Model # PR8524TA3

Model Description Our Price
Pursuit 8.5x24 Tandem 5000# $8,670.00
Standard Features: (Subject to change: selected options could affect standard features)

Patented Dust Proof Sidewall Design, Chip Resistant Undercoating, Dexter (ITS) Independent Torsion Suspension Wide Track Axles with EZ Lube Hubs, Modular-Styled Steel Wheels by Enkei w/ E-Coat Prime & Powder Coat Finish, Aluminum Fenders, All Wheel Electric Brakes w/12v Breakaway Switch- Battery & Trickle Charger Included, Welded or Bolted in Place Safety Chains w/ Security Clasp Hooks, Fade & Crack Resistant TPO Front Cap, Frames are Phosphate Power Washed and All Exposed Metal is Painted w/Premium Quality Paint, Long Life Coating on Zinc Plated Fasteners, Semi-Trailer Quality 12v Lighting, SX Rear Ramp Door with Spring Assist and Flap (4500# Capacity), 48in Beavertail for Easy Loading, Trailer Rated Radial Tires, 48in Precision Jig Built Solid Core Side Door w/Flush Lock and Stainless Steel Piano Hinge, Cast Aluminum Door Holdback, 3/4in Plywood Floor, 3/8in Plywood Interior Walls, T-Nuts on All Doors, Automotive Style D-Bulb Weatherstripping, High-Tech Roof Sealant, 6in I-Beam Frame or 8in I-Beam Frame on Models 26' and Greater, 16in On-Center Frame Crossmembers , Lauan Finished Ceiling, Truck Body Flat Style Flat Top Design, ABS Molded License Plate Holder w/Built in Light, Conspicuity Treatment on all TA3 Models and greater, .030 Exterior Aluminum with 11 Standard Colors to Choose From, 16in On-Center Wall Hat Posts with 6ft 5in Interior Height w/ 6in I-Beam or 6ft 3in w/ 8in I-Beam Frame, 5/3 Honest, Fast, & Fair Warranty.

Option Information
Option # Quantity Description Units Unit Price Our Price
25140 1.00 Auto Hauler Special (PR/RT) Each $283.00 $283.00
Notes: Auto Hauler Special Includes 24in ATP Stoneguard, (4)D-Rings, (2)Non-Powered Roof Vents, (2)12v SX Dome Lights, (1)12v Wall Switch, (4)Stainless Steel Center Caps (PR & RT models only)
12172L 4.00 Floor-Mount D-Ring Loose 5000#/EA Each $14.00 $56.00
Notes: Floor Mount D-Ring Recessed Loose/Each (5000# Capacity) For Motor cycle
60225 1.00 Spare- ST225 75R15 LRD Tire/Steel Rim 50 Each $134.00 $134.00
Notes: ST225/75R15/LRD Tire/Rim (5000# 6-Lug)) (2540# Tire Capacity)
16014 1.00 Tire Mount Inside No Cover/EA Each $30.00 $30.00
Notes: Floor Supported Tire Mount Inside/No Cover
17515 24.00 White Vinyl Walls & Ceiling Only/LTF (PR LTF $14.00 $336.00
70009 24.00 Black Marble Vinyl Floor/LTF LTF $24.00 $576.00
Notes: Black Marble Vinyl Floor, includes Lauan underlayment/Per LTF
12003 56.00 E-Track Wall Recessed/LF LTF $7.00 $392.00
Notes: E-Track Wall-Recessed/In Feet. Horizontal Mount Only. One row full length each side wall and front wall. NEED HIGHT
Subtotal $1,807.00

Order Total $10,933.00

I find it strange that they're charging you for options that are normally standard on other makes.

Autohauler special??? You actually have to pay for D rings and a stone gaurd and roof vents???

Pace trailers aren't designed to be car haulers like many others. You turn them from a utility trailer to a car hauler with extra cost options, etc.

I find it strange that they're charging you for options that are normally standard on other makes.

Autohauler special??? You actually have to pay for D rings and a stone gaurd and roof vents???

Pace trailers aren't designed to be car haulers like many others. You turn them from a utility trailer to a car hauler with extra cost options, etc.

Dave how many of those options came standard on your trailer.

I think thats a pretty good price, if thats the retail I would expect to get about 2 grand off of that.

My trailer has the one pice roof. I dont know if its any better at keeping the rain out. (hasnt rained here lately) But I would think that it would be much easier to seal.

I believe the pace is a well built car hauling trailer. I havent pulled mine much yet, but the times i have it has tracked straight and didnt sway or wonder while passing large trucks. Note I have no sway control or load leveling devices installed.

I believe the pace is a well built car hauling trailer.

I agree. My Pace 36' gooseneck (28' floor) has been great. Classics are fine, too IMO. Others may be cheaper but I wouldn't dip below this general level of quality. My first enclosed was a bare 24' Classic but in 2001 I wanted a gooseneck with finished interior, AC, 120V outlets/lighting, built-in generator and cell. Pace had a new manufacturing facility in Texas, helping the decision. Still wish I had added a couple of other things upfront.

I agree with Dusty's comment about seriously considering a 28' tag vs. a 24'. I'd consider another Pace for the next step up, but would prefer an all-aluminum Optima or similar. Can't justify... yet.

Roy, e-mail me with pics/description of your new trailer if you don't mind.

Art

Dave how many of those options came standard on your trailer.

I think thats a pretty good price, if thats the retail I would expect to get about 2 grand off of that.

My trailer has the one pice roof. I dont know if its any better at keeping the rain out. (hasnt rained here lately) But I would think that it would be much easier to seal.

I believe the pace is a well built car hauling trailer. I havent pulled mine much yet, but the times i have it has tracked straight and didnt sway or wonder while passing large trucks. Note I have no sway control or load leveling devices installed.

I didn't order any options, it comes equiped as a car hauler. That is to say, four flush mounted D rings, Completely finished interior with white vinyl walls and ceiling. Stainless stone gaurd, polished stainless exterior corners, D rated tires, 6lug wheels.
I also bought my own E track and mounted it down both sides at two levels (knee high and chest high for complete tie off capabilities for heavy objects) and saved a ton of money that way.
I did not opt for a fancy tile floor and took the standard grey painted 3/4" plywood.

Well, I called the guys at classic today and he seemed to think he could get me what I want plus a little more (a 50" ramp on the side so I can just drive the bike in :D and stainless steel hardware) and still keep it around $10G.

The problem...getting it to CA. No dealers for Classic in CA. The ray of hope is that his WI dealer who happens to move coaches and RV to CA quite often may be able to bring one to CA if he happens to have a coach going that way.

Just an update...

I bought a 28' Classic RT2883TE.

I can't wait to see what this is going to cost me in gas driving from CA to AL.

I get back to the states in May...I can't wait to get back to the USA. Been in South Korea now since '04. I left my GN, Ninja, and cats with my dad while we were stationed here. The GN & the Ninja are dead (I think my wife secretly wishes he'd killed the cats too). Anyways, I'm hoping the Buick is just a crank sensor (he drove it on it's weekly around the block trip to get a paper...when he got it back to the garage, it refuses to crank). The carbs in the Ninja are probably lacquered.

My opinions are these:

Do not settle for any trailer that doesn't have the optional heavier axles. You will find that the heavier axles may be a bit overkill but will last longer then the entry level ones that come on most. Also make sure the trailer has easy lube hubs, this makes it much nicer when it comes time to add some grease.

If you can afford the disc brakes they are well worth the $$$ especially with the truck your pulling it with.

Make sure the walls and roof are insulated, this will allow you to store your car in it all year around and is more climate controlled...not to mention not near as hot inside during the summer months.

With the current price of fuel get a V nose trailer to help cut wind resistance. My flat front trailer is like a giant wind brake even with the rounded top. Not to mention the longer you get the more it will weigh and that's more fuel used...get one just long enough to fullfill your needs. If you get one of the real long trailers you'll find that parking becomes a problem as well.

I have a 24' Haullmark Elite II that is plenty big for my TR and a 4 wheeler as well as track junk up in the front.

You will find that a single rear wheel (SRW) truck is going to sway while towing down the highway...especially if there is a cross wind or a semi blows by you. I used to pull my trailer with a 3500 SRW and at times was a white knuckle tow. Since switching over to a 3500 dually I feel much less fatigue after a long tow. If you don't already have 10 ply tires on your rig, you should probably consider some when it's time for tires.

The LED lights are nice and are nearly maintenance free...much more visable as well.

You can always add more tie downs as you need them, they are not a big deal to install.

A good quality break away kit is paramount...should you loose the trailer for whatever reason it will save your arse.

Smooth sided panels are real nice and make it much easier to keep clean.

You will find that used trailers seems to hold their value like gold, a guy can darn near get retail for a gently used trailer these days.