Engine Mechanic near Fort Worth, TX ?

gn87man

Guys,

I am looking for recommendations for a very good, reputable, reasonably priced engine mechanic in or near Fort Worth. I live on the northwest side of Fort Worth, near Saginaw.

On my 87 GN, I believe a few of my main bearings are bad. Oil pressure is very low (about 5 psi at idle). I can hear the slight bearing grind noise at idle.

Getting lots of knock at only 2000 rpm.

I will need an engine pull, thorough internal engine inspection with appropriate machine work if needed, and new main bearings and rings, at a minimum.

Anyone know of a great, reasonably priced engine mechanic who works on these cars in the Fort Worth, Texas area?

I sure would appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you all so much in advance.

As with all these, Jack Laswell at JL enterprises out in Royse City(a bit of a haul but well worth it) and Mac'S south of benbrook on 377 just past whiskey flats. Both great shops.
Arlington Machine does good work but they don't do r&r and such just machine work.

Thanks so much TexasT! I will check out both of them for a quote. Have a good one sir.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

gn87man,
Have you given any thought to taking this tear down as an opportunity to install forged pistons and maybe forged rods as well? I think it would be a wise decision but that is just me. In '99 I shattered a piston in my '92 MR2 Turbo from over boosting and I was fortunate to be working for Toyota at the time so I saved a few bucks.. I took that opportunity to install JE pistons and a TRD metal head gasket but I kept the stock rods because they are very stout and have proven reliable up to 800-900HP.

Any way I was just curious, good luck with your rebuild and have a great weekend,
Gregg

Last edited:
Hey Gregg,
Thank you for the suggestions.
Yes sir, I plan on replacing my pistons and rods with forged pistons and rods. I also plan to replace the head gaskets with copper head gaskets. Might as well, since I am already in there, right? :)

Thank you again and I hope you have a great weekend too.

Landon

Hey Gregg,
Thank you for the suggestions.
Yes sir, I plan on replacing my pistons and rods with forged pistons and rods. I also plan to replace the head gaskets with copper head gaskets. Might as well, since I am already in there, right? :)

Thank you again and I hope you have a great weekend too.

Landon

Your welcome.

Copper is not the direction you want to go in all likelihood....steel shims or a MLS type gasket (Cometics) is what I recommend. I do some tuning work in FT W but my shop is in Red Oak......give me a shout.

Copper is not the direction you want to go in all likelihood....steel shims or a MLS type gasket (Cometics) is what I recommend. I do some tuning work in FT W but my shop is in Red Oak......give me a shout.
Thanks so much HouseofSpeed! I will probably go with steel shims. And I will give you a shout in the near future.

Both great shops for sure. I would consider the fel-pro 9441. Cometic and steel shims are not forgiving if your tune is off.

Both great shops for sure. I would consider the fel-pro 9441. Cometic and steel shims are not forgiving if your tune is off.
Thank you sir. I will definitely consider the fel-pro 9441 head gaskets.
Thanks so much HouseofSpeed! I will probably go with steel shims. And I will give you a shout in the near future.

I had a buddy take his GN to Macks and they kept it for a very long time for items that didn't require a motor pull. . Jack told me he had a back up for 3 to 4 months so I found a guy in OK that I trailered my car to have the motor pulled and rebuilt

I had a buddy take his GN to Macks and they kept it for a very long time for items that didn't require a motor pull. . Jack told me he had a back up for 3 to 4 months so I found a guy in OK that I trailered my car to have the motor pulled and rebuilt
Cool deal...thank you very much for the information.

I hope this is not your GN for sale. What a beautiful car. Not sure if it's just my eyes but that paint looks fantastic. I have'nt seen many GN's that look that nice.

I hope this is not your GN for sale. What a beautiful car. Not sure if it's just my eyes but that paint looks fantastic. I have'nt seen many GN's that look that nice.
No sir, this is not the GN for sale. The GN for sale is in excellent condition. Not one drop of fluid leakage anywhere on that car. That car is all original mostly.

Thank you for the compliments.

This post is for my other GN. It has lots of go fast goodies on it. Think I spun a main bearing in it. [emoji45]

Update: Finally got the engine out and found the problem. I broke the crank shaft and one of the main caps!

The cause: low oil pressure caused the front main bearings to seize up, while the crank kept turning! Sheared the crank journal in the center of the crankshaft! The oil pump went bad on me. [emoji45]

The bottom end was all stock except for new bearings.

I am going to install a stroker kit now and a high performance oil pump.

The top end was entirely replaced about one year ago.

Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure....

d4d421f1874d7c6d24f98546acb35069.jpg

ac806a40d87e844d372091c7405ea6df.jpg

c7fd57608babdfbfe67e05563e2c6bfd.jpg

Yes sir....found a guy who does work on these engines and other race cars. He is located in Mansfield, TX, about 40 miles from me.

Here are some pics of the rebuilt top end, which was done about one year ago....

61d67db756958e654bb4b88ecd34c293.jpg

5dac77cfa1cad251112e1a15a2e2854e.jpg

1733eea025973ee87c4bdfadeaa0f43a.jpg

bb3110d40ed676d9be9f838214ead215.jpg

cb61a719f5e7ff60d3cb04b09f5ddbcc.jpg

Care to share the name of the shop in Mansfield? I'm not too far from there.