Engine Rebuild. Have some ? for you Guys

DOC420

I am a newbie on this forum but have been tinkering around with my 87 GN for about 6 years now. I have been a technician at a private shop for about 5 years now. I know a lot about service but not so much about the performance field. About a month ago One of my buddies and I were out laying some patches and i lost the #1 rod bearing. :mad: Pulled the motor and trans and tour it down to the bare block. Every bearing in this thing was wiped out. None of the main bearings spun just the #1 rod bearing. It is basically welded to the crank. I gave up trying to get it off. I have recently purchased a new rotating assembly from Full throttle. CAT crank. Girdle, K1 rods, diamond pistons .030 over, king bearings. Am i on the right track? Have you heard any good or bad things about these assemblies? I would also like some help with the heads. Plan to stay with stockers but would like to rebuild. Any suggestions for springs, valves etc... Thanks alot guys. I am a little long winded but i love this car. Thanks again.:cool:

i had a bad experience with the cat girdle it was hitting the crank and the bolt holes didnt line up. i didnt put it in had an experienced engine shop do it and they were not impressed by the girdle either. they normally put on the rjc girdles. it cost me enough in machine work to get the cat to work opossed to just buying an RJC and i would have saved some money. I dont know if all the cat girdles are like that or i just got a bad one.

Also what do you want to use the car for? what are your goals if any

Thanks for the reply Cory. I am going to mach it up on my block tomorrow and see what happens. Bad news though i received my block back from the machine shop with no work done said it was junk. He said the cam ate into the front of the block and scored it bad. Looked at my cam and noticed a little scoring on one of the back of the bolts( threaded part that comes through gear). Does not look like anything bad. As to what i would like to do with my GN. My father and I race in an org. called NASA. It is road racing. Fun as Hell. This is what i plan to do with the beast. Any comments enlighten me. Thanks alot for the info.

DOC