F Body Sway Bar Ripping Bolts Out!!!

Any reason to try and use the F-body bracket with the F-body bushings? I saw they are NLA, but I have the ones that came w/my sway bar used off the WS6. Do they not fit? I apologize for not knowing, but my GN is in another state and I'm gathering the parts now. Was able to pick up a 36MM bar off an 89 GTA for $25--but I don't want to put it on if this isn't a good idea. Right now, it seems that the 36 MM bushings w/G-body brackets should work fine..but are the F-body brackets better or worse?

Thx

I run the hollow 36mm sway bar on both the GN and the elky, I put poly bushings on the GN, but still using the GTAs stock bushings on the elky, but have poly endlinks on both. So far I haven't had any problems with either one. <knocking on wood>

I run the hollow 36mm sway bar on both the GN and the elky, I put poly bushings on the GN, but still using the GTAs stock bushings on the elky, but have poly endlinks on both. So far I haven't had any problems with either one. <knocking on wood>

I'm confused as hell :confused: .... I read at the beginning that you had to shim the bracket or it would not sit flush. then JDPolzin said it WILL sit flush? and I cannot find poly 36mm bushings anywhere. which end links do you use? F, or G body?

oh, and where do you get the blue end link bushings? :biggrin:

edit: ROC87's post has nothing to do with this. for some reason whenever I click "quick reply" it quotes somebody.

Hmmmm...understandable procedure but I don't see how you shouldnt have at least a little of the bushing set in. I know the end link couldnt pop out, but if the bushing isn't in, then it would move all over the place. Could you explain this proper procedure so all of us could understand?

Maybe i havent made myself clear? You start out LOOSE and work them tight too your preference? If you tighten the end links, you pre-load the swaybar. It's really pretty simple.

I'm confused as hell :confused: .... I read at the beginning that you had to shim the bracket or it would not sit flush. then JDPolzin said it WILL sit flush? and I cannot find poly 36mm bushings anywhere. which end links do you use? F, or G body?

oh, and where do you get the blue end link bushings? :biggrin:

edit: ROC87's post has nothing to do with this. for some reason whenever I click "quick reply" it quotes somebody.

If you use the original brackets from your original swaybar and the 36mm bushings, it will sit flush. Hit up TSpool for bushings and endlinks! He usually has good rubber sets. Stay away from the Poly stuff in front end parts if you can.

You really shouldnt have many problems with he poly as long as you use the proper "poly" grease. Most of the professional hard core suspension guys I have talked to try to stay away from them if they can do to break down in the poly after having some miles on it. It tends to get very hard and dry and squeeks after a while. One way to correct that is to use "poly" grease! A good hard rubber bushing is good for a nice ride and the Del-Alum bushings are fantastic for all around performance. I had a few of my older cars that I used poly bushings in and I didnt have the money to change them out so I coated the whole thing in "Poly" grease. The only place i had a problem was in the lower rear control arms. They had a tendensy to snap, crackle, and pop while put under load. Other than that, never had any personal bad experience!

Hmmmm...understandable procedure but I don't see how you shouldnt have at least a little of the bushing set in. I know the end link couldnt pop out, but if the bushing isn't in, then it would move all over the place. Could you explain this proper procedure so all of us could understand?

BTW... The reason I dont personally start out with any pressure on the end links is so I can feel the change from essentially having no swaybar!

I have Energy suspension, and from what I've been told they are graphite impregnated. IDK if that's true or not.

BTW... The reason I dont personally start out with any pressure on the end links is so I can feel the change from essentially having no swaybar!

If thats the case then you should remove the end links completely. Otherwise, it will sloppily just pull on the end link bolts under cornering. I would start by tightening just enough to get the bushing into the arm to stay there, then start your testing. I would find it a waste of time to test while loose since you obviously will be tightening them anyways. Then again, time is something I very seldom have lately.:rolleyes:

Just finishined installing 36mm swaybar i torqued the endlinks to 28-30 ft lbs. this isnt to tight is it . Theres about 1 1/2 inch of stud exposed above the top nut on the endlink does this sound about right . It almost seems like its to tight the top and bottom bushings seem compresed i didnt note how it looked stock but does it sound like i went to far ??

Just finishined installing 36mm swaybar i torqued the endlinks to 28-30 ft lbs. this isnt to tight is it . Theres about 1 1/2 inch of stud exposed above the top nut on the endlink does this sound about right . It almost seems like its to tight the top and bottom bushings seem compresed i didnt note how it looked stock but does it sound like i went to far ??

It really depends on what end links you used as far as how much thread is hanging out of the nut. If it seems too tight just looking at it, loosen it up a little and work it until it is where you want it. Post a pic and I can tell you if you are at a good starting point or not.

there ac delco endlinks and harware forgot the exact part # . Is it normal to see them compress a fair amount hard to judge it yea i can probably get you a pic within the next couple of days thanks for the help

there ac delco endlinks and harware forgot the exact part # . Is it normal to see them compress a fair amount hard to judge it yea i can probably get you a pic within the next couple of days thanks for the help

The ACDelco's are a composite rubber material and do have some "give" to them. It is normal for them to compress some and due to the "give" in them, it is a good thing! If you look at an untouched front end on our cars, you'll see the bushings on the end links are compressed. I looked for a long time to try to find a specific torque to the endlinks and wasnt able to find that out. Maybe Turbofish38 could get that info? He's a lot of help on this info! Although, with different swaybars, it may not be adequate, even though they are the stock replacement bushings? From talking with a few different professional suspension guys, every one of them told me to simply leave them loose and tighten them to your specific preference. Just tighten them little by little. I have also read on some of the import forums that people actually like the pre-loaded effect and can gain from that effect on their specific applications but with our bigger heavier cars, it best not to preload.

I'm curious, those who have the F bar or want to do it, do you have a full poly front suspension, lowering springs and new shocks?