Fan Problem

Dustin27987

My car is 1987 Bucik Turbo T

Sometimes when i turn my car off the cooling fan will just turn on and run, draining the battery when i don't catch it. Why is this happening?

When i rains my car also leaks water from the floor vent on the passenger side. Any ideals?

1 last question, my blower fan doen't seem to blow very hard, do the get wore out?

sounds to me your fan delay relay is bad causing fan to stay on. dont know about second question. possible hi speed fan relay bad causing blower motor not to run on hi...

oddfire6 was right,just unplug the biggest relay on the drivers fender.check water "flap" under ac/heat box and make sure its not stoped up.look in through grille in ac box and make sure there isnt debris stoping air from entering box,also look and make sure gasket is in place where ac lines go into ac box.make sure you dont have a vaccum leak and air is coming out vents and defrost and heat ducts at the same time.

If you want to replace that fan delay relay with a NOS/NIB AC/Delco piece: I've got one to sell. PM Me ;) .

I have the same problem. My fan keeps running after I shut the car off. I checked out the local auto parts store and they want $65.00 for a new one and that's with a discount becuase I'm a regular there. :eek:

Does any one know where to get these relays? It is a discontinued GM part and my local auto parts store can't even get me a cross referenced one. Some one at work told me it might have a bad diode. It looks like you can get them open. Repairing it might be my only option....

Dustin27987 said:
My car is 1987 Bucik Turbo T

Sometimes when i turn my car off the cooling fan will just turn on and run, draining the battery when i don't catch it. Why is this happening?

When i rains my car also leaks water from the floor vent on the passenger side. Any ideals?

1 last question, my blower fan doen't seem to blow very hard, do the get wore out?
Had the same problem a while back. Turned out to be the Hi-Speed Fan Relay. Irregardless, unhook the fan delay relay. Trust me, you don't need it because your car will hardly ever reach the high temps that makes the fan delay relay activate anyway.

I replaced the Hi-Speed Relay and it has never happened again.

Good Luck

flip

Mine was all jacked up when I bought it. High speed fan barely working. Low speed fan not coming on at all, fan running when the ignition is off....
Just pulled out the relays and cleaned out every last bit of that black tar (what happens to the die electric grease after 20 years)...cleaned it out of all the pins and sockets, and the fans started working like a MOFO. But the delay finally went totally kaput. The coil was totally rotted from rust. Big rust chunks fell out when I first popped the cover off. Doesnt matter though. I dont need the fan running when its off. Its not protected from water at all, like the ones on the passenger side are. Guess the bean counters only had anough pennies for the passenger side shield. Thats one of the many bad things about using a high pressure washer on your engine. If you just snip the leads for the coil, you can leave the delay plugged in like mine is, and the rest ofthe fan system will work fine. It just wont run when the motor is off.

Hmmm...sounds like you guys could use the 5000 cfm Mark VIII electric fan. We use/stock the programmable Spal pulse width modulated variable speed fan controllers along with our HD 70 amp relay kits and of course NOS Mark VIII fans circa 1997, 1998 only. We build 1978-88 G-body cars and this is the most powerful fan set-up on the market-if anybody needs/wants info, feel free to drop me a line. -Jabin

Sounds good Gmachinz. How much for the whole set up?

I thought my Delay Relay is on the drivers side (also according to the diagram from www,gnttype.org) and it won't let the fan shut off when the car is off. When I wiggle or unplug and plug the connection at this point, I can hear it click, then I'll plug it back in and the fan will stop running with the car turned off.

I didn't know that I could just unplug it and the fan will still come on when the car is running.

Dustin, as for the leak in the car, check the seal from the top of the a/c box to the firewall. You will have to take off the metal molding at the base of the windshield that the wipers rest on to see the seal. If water gets in there it will definitely leak into the car. Has your heater core been changed? That would cause the seal to get messed up. A bead of silicone where the top meets the firewall should do the trick.
Be very carefull pulling the metal molding off, its VERY easy to bend and get kinked up. Good luck.

The kit is $339 plus shipping for everything. The fan is NOS and we can pre-wire the fan assembly at no additonal cost. -Jabin