Fan turn on temperature

GNRick

Retired member
My spal fans are turning on at 208 and off at 199. Yes I read the vortex site. Last time this happened I replace the fan switch and that fixed it. So I replaced the switch again and no change. It appears GM discontinued the old switch and the new one has a higher turn on/off temp. My question is does the extender chip determine the fan turn on/off temp? My extender doesn't seem to control the fan. Thanks.

Low speed fan relay from the factory is chip controlled.

Wbat it controls now if anything would depend upon how those fans are wired....

The high speed fan control/relay is from the intake switch and yours is normal around 210 degrees.

OK something failed after going wot last week. The fans are spliced together so they come on and off together. Oreilly's website says turn on temp for their switch is 212 degrees. Sounds like my chip never controlled the fans and I always relied on the switch.

Mike Licht said the default turn on temp for extender is 175 and turn off is 170. With a 185 stat my car will never see 170 so the fans would theoretically never shut off. However I know my fans used to come on and off so this makes no sense to me unless my fans were controlled by the now discontinued fan switch.

My spal fans are turning on at 208 and off at 199. Yes I read the vortex site. Last time this happened I replace the fan switch and that fixed it. So I replaced the switch again and no change. It appears GM discontinued the old switch and the new one has a higher turn on/off temp. My question is does the extender chip determine the fan turn on/off temp? My extender doesn't seem to control the fan. Thanks.

If your fans were wired properly, they should have hot wired relays of their own that are powered by the stock fan control harness. They should never be powered directly by the stock harness, it can't handle that kind of current draw.

Sound like you may have lost the signal from the ecm.

I would make a jumper wire and see if you can toggle the fan from the relay plug.

Rick could you elaborate? Is there a pin from the ecm that I could jump to the fans? I think the ecm is fine though...I just need a chip programmed to turn on the fans at about 190 or so.

On the low speed fan relay ground the dark green wire. This should make the fan come on. If it does everything from the relay to the fan is working. That would mean the ECM is not sending the ground to the relay or there is a problem in the wiring from the ECM to the relay.

Found the problem. Blown 30 amp fuse in Racetronix harness. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!