FAST XIM Module

lazaris

Anyone running this or has had experience hooking it up for a coil on plug set up on our car cars equiped with XFI?

In the works for a GN!

We are in the process of converting a GN to coil-on-plug as it has a FAST XFI already installed. This will perform as good, or better, than the distributor set up, be much less expensive and work on street cars with A/C.:)

We have the experience of doing this on other cars, so it is a matter of adapting it to the GN. Dyno testing has confirmed our better performance results.

When the street version is done, we will do a race version as well.:D

Less expensive than a dizzy???Somone need a calculator?

6 coils+XIM module=$$$$

Get of my case

Less expensive than a dizzy???Somone need a calculator?

6 coils+XIM module=$$$$

Why are you again following my posts and trying to dis-credit me?:mad:

Guess your "vacation" was not long enough?

We are in the process of converting a GN to coil-on-plug as it has a FAST XFI already installed. This will perform as good, or better, than the distributor set up, be much less expensive and work on street cars with A/C.:)

We have the experience of doing this on other cars, so it is a matter of adapting it to the GN. Dyno testing has confirmed our better performance results.

Nick,

Are you using the XIM Module for this? If not have any of the FAST dealers used it yet with the XFI box?
Nick when will this be ready? Whats the difference between the street and the race version?

Nick,

Are you using the XIM Module for this? If not have any of the FAST dealers used it yet with the XFI box?
Nick when will this be ready? Whats the difference between the street and the race version?

Yes, we are using the XIM box.

Doubt that other dealers have done anything for the turbo Buick application, but it has been done on other makes

Right now we are very busy as our race season is in full swing. It will probably be 2 months before we finish testing.

The major difference between street and race will be in the wiring harness and location of the coils. The race version will be a stand-alone harness w/o provision for AC.

This will perform as good, or better, than the distributor set up

Dyno testing has confirmed our better performance results.

Can you elaborate a little more on the dyno results you got. Was it BETTER or AS GOOD than the distributor setup?

Yes, we are using the XIM box.

Doubt that other dealers have done anything for the turbo Buick application, but it has been done on other makes

Right now we are very busy as our race season is in full swing. It will probably be 2 months before we finish testing.

The major difference between street and race will be in the wiring harness and location of the coils. The race version will be a stand-alone harness w/o provision for AC.

Nick,

Ok thanks. I'll give you a call Monday.

This will perform as good, or better, than the distributor set up, be much less expensive and work on street cars with A/C.:)

I spent $250 for a 7al2 box, $150.00 for a distributor, and a MSD crank trigger cost me $225.00, but you can get it done with the stock crank sensor. I'm curious with the cost of LS1 coils, XIM, harness, cost for mounting the coils how it will be MUCH less expensive than the distributor setup? Tony Gomes has a distributor on his TSO car with A/C also. The Crane ignition box is less than the 7al2 MSD box and has proven to perform well also.

What trigger wheel does the XFI/XIM use for crank reference?

I spent $250 for a 7al2 box, $150.00 for a distributor, and a MSD crank trigger cost me $225.00, but you can get it done with the stock crank sensor. I'm curious with the cost of LS1 coils, XIM, harness, cost for mounting the coils how it will be MUCH less expensive than the distributor setup? Tony Gomes has a distributor on his TSO car with A/C also. The Crane ignition box is less than the 7al2 MSD box and has proven to perform well also.

From Summit:

7 AL-2 box - $559.40

Dist. - $356.90

Coil - $166.30

So who the hell cares that you got a deal on some used parts?

Also, I know Tony has a dist. on his car, but again, who cares?

My car has a dist. and it was a PIA to make it fit and work, and I do not have AC.

I have been working with a local tuner and dyno operator, and Ken Dutweiller who was kind enough to spend time with me to discuss this project.

As far as tech details, this will be provided to those that purchase kits. For someone that want to copy it in China or wherever, they will have to buy a kit too.

Why do I have to justify to you, or any other self-proclaimed critics, of what I am doing or how I am doing it? Answer is I don't.:mad:

Seems lately there is a rash of personal attacks, unwanted and unwarranted criticism especially toward vendors. If this sounds "abrasive", it is because I am personally tired of constant trashing on this board by a few. There are many other that share this sentiment also.

It is a place to share and exchange information, helpful comments are appreciated, hateful and negative stuff has no place here.

This is sounding interesting, I can not wait to hear some dyno numbers.

From Summit:

So who the hell cares that you got a deal on some used parts?

Also, I know Tony has a dist. on his car, but again, who cares?

My car has a dist. and it was a PIA to make it fit and work, and I do not have AC.

I have been working with a local tuner and dyno operator, and Ken Dutweiller who was kind enough to spend time with me to discuss this project.

As far as tech details, this will be provided to those that purchase kits. For someone that want to copy it in China or wherever, they will have to buy a kit too.

Why do I have to justify to you, or any other self-proclaimed critics, of what I am doing or how I am doing it? Answer is I don't.:mad:

Seems lately there is a rash of personal attacks, unwanted and unwarranted criticism especially toward vendors. If this sounds "abrasive", it is because I am personally tired of constant trashing on this board by a few. There are many other that share this sentiment also.

It is a place to share and exchange information, helpful comments are appreciated, hateful and negative stuff has no place here.

Others that may factor in the costs of distributor vs. XIM/COP will most likely look at a large inventory of used distributor parts as a comparison of cost.

I pointed out Tony has a distributor you acknowledge knowing that, but yet say a distributor won't work with A/C? Marketing angle?? :confused:

Sorry you had a problem fitting a distributor to your car. I see in your sig you may have had a problem with your sway bar installation also. :biggrin:

As far as answering to me or the community, you will when they buy the kit that you are marketing, so far you have answered nothing at all. I'll take it that you don't have dyno results to back up the claims you made above. Instead of answering legit questions you seem to take a defensive stance and I would be skeptical of dealing with a vendor who hides behind this rather than answer legit questions.

Well Ted, guess you missed the point as you think COP is strictly for a race application?:confused:

The person that would do COP on their GN and want to retain street use and AC will find it MUCH easier than installing a dist. These owners would like to keep a by-pass hose and thermostat and have less clutter, not more, for their occasional driver. The MSD 7 AL has no place in a street driven car as it add more complexity and less reliability.

For a race car, the COP is more dependable and reliable than a dist set up.

As far as my credibility in the Buick community, I think the 20 years of my demonstrated ability and achievements speaks for itself. I value my honesty and reputation more than just making a buck.:smile: Yours....?????

When the time comes for tech info, I WILL have the answers and provide them at that time.

Your attempt to give me another "dig" also shows your lack of class. The pic in my signature is BEFORE the HR bar was installed. Go to my web site and view the AFTER run there that was a 1.35 sixty foot. I am sure Paul at HR Parts will appreciate your plug for his products!:biggrin:

Nick, then don't make a bold statement that it is cheaper and better than a distributor and you have dyno backing to prove it (or imply that). Don't knock what works well. I'm sure the COP will be a good deal for street cars and will prove to be a good product for race cars. Talking about lack of class, your attacks toward me for asking legit questions which you STILL have not answered show me a little more what I was hoping not to see. As for your 20 years, I'm at a loss for what you have done as I have not ever read anything in the past about your accomplishments other than selling TA headers, coolant additive, replaced as race director in BG, a lawsuit with somebody in FL, and sticking your head in on My/Dans TA recent success and not answering legit questions.

BTW thanks Ralph for answering my question about the interuptor ring.

Can we have cool off period Nick and Ted?
If you guys want to talk about each other take it to PM.

Happy New Year...

Healthy debate and the exchange of information helps everyone.
Grown men arguing over the Internet is an embarrassment to this community.

How many vendors do we have to lose on this board because of this garbage?

It seems that you have limited knowledge about the XIM and how it operates, Have you seen the trend in the automotive industry, going to cop ignition, not putting in distributors. The advantages over the conventional electronic ignition are the elimination of a mechanical distributor, increased voltage at the spark plug, better timed spark, and a more efficient running engine. I for one would like to know that my spark is accurately firing at the correct time. With a distributor you will always have the timing chain and camshaft whip to contend with, and the associated noise induced from a conventional ignition. With the XIM you are not limited to LS style coils, you can run any style or output of coil. Hell we are running 8 HVCC msd coils with one. Smart or Dumb coils are able to be controlled by the XIM.

But Ted you should know about this advantage as you have a Big Stuff 3 that should have the capability for cop, or doesn't that feature work properly yet??

I think that this should be an excellent option for those running a XFI and wanting a more reliable ignition, with two step capability. For those that don't want to loose too much of the stock appearance or A/C functionality. And it will work with all the factory cam and crank sensors.

It seems that you have limited knowledge about the XIM and how it operates, Have you seen the trend in the automotive industry, going to cop ignition, not putting in distributors. The advantages over the conventional electronic ignition are the elimination of a mechanical distributor, increased voltage at the spark plug, better timed spark, and a more efficient running engine. I for one would like to know that my spark is accurately firing at the correct time. With a distributor you will always have the timing chain and camshaft whip to contend with, and the associated noise induced from a conventional ignition. With the XIM you are not limited to LS style coils, you can run any style or output of coil. Hell we are running 8 HVCC msd coils with one. Smart or Dumb coils are able to be controlled by the XIM.

But Ted you should know about this advantage as you have a Big Stuff 3 that should have the capability for cop, or doesn't that feature work properly yet??

I think that this should be an excellent option for those running a XFI and wanting a more reliable ignition, with two step capability. For those that don't want to loose too much of the stock appearance or A/C functionality. And it will work with all the factory cam and crank sensors.

Timing does not fluctuate with the distributor. Rotor phase may a little, but the timing reference is taken from the crank. Yes, I have talked with John and can go to COP with a 24x wheel, or 60-2 (talk about accuracy), but at this point why mess with what works as there is no guarantee there will be gains worth the $$ over my MSD distributor, and I GUARANTEE it won't be cheaper than a distributor setup.

We have converted a Syclone to COP using a 24x wheel and LS-1 coils already. He was limited on distributors with his tall deck block.

Thanks for being professional. :biggrin: