Frame/body bolts

movinfast

Ok so I've been reading about frame offs and I want to make sure I'm doing this right. The bolts that are in the car they are covered. I have to use a whole saw to expose them?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

No, you reach in from under the frame and take them out.

If you're unlucky the weld nut rips loose from being rusted up.. Then the 'fun' starts. From what I can tell that's a problem with northern cars.

No, you reach in from under the frame and take them out.

If you're unlucky the weld nut rips loose from being rusted up.. Then the 'fun' starts. From what I can tell that's a problem with northern cars.

Northernnnnn cars, right. No salt in Ga.

Wouldn't some w-d work on the bolts. Let it sit for a day or two. That must suck all the threats I read they had to drill holes. I hope I'm a lucky one. Looks real clean, no rust or anything down by bolts.

All of mine came undone with a 3/8 ratchet. No spraying or heat needed. I reused my bolts.

Mine has always been in either NY or MA,but my guess is it was never driven in salt.

I did it in an ice-cold carpeted garage with no lift. It took me probably 40 hours. Maybe more. It was something I didn't want to rush. I'd rather go slow doing something right the first time. Had scissors jacks and stands..
...a 2x4 in the slot under the rocker panel running full length of the rocker.

You read about everything that you have to unhook?

Fuel lines, power steering, driver engine harness. pass harness. Anything else?

Bumpers. Just the p/s reservoir. Tranny linkage... The gas tank can stay. You'll see when under there what goes from frame to body. You have to go up more than 3in or so.

I'm takin body completely off. Should I get a bar and tack we'll it to the rear of the frame so it doesn't tweak a lil before I take rear bumpers off. I read it in a thread.

Do you plan on dropping in the GNX bushing? It drops in. No bolt. (pic) Check out the height between the frame and body in the pic. If you check yours,you see just how high.

Yeah,mine has a lot of factory undercoating.

gnxbshng.jpg

Yeah I'll be putting them in also.after I reinforce the frame and powder coat it

I'm takin body completely off. Should I get a bar and tack we'll it to the rear of the frame so it doesn't tweak a lil before I take rear bumpers off. I read it in a thread.

I didn't on mine. I'm sure it can't hurt.
I don't believe the rearmost frame horns don't really do much. I just let mine relax back there,then put the bolts in. Those were the last ones I did.

I believe every body bolt is a 15mm. Just put a shallow socket up in the holes with a 6in extension. The holes are about 3in across. ?? Good amount of room. The gas tank is bolted to the body.

don't bother with the penetrating oil- it's not going to get up into the threads up in the body..

just put a breaker bar on the bolts and loosen them up with firm but gentle pressure..

If you are gonna go that far pull the front clip off before you try pulling the body off. Just as well dismantle the whole car if you got the space and go through every bit of it. DO NOT use an impact to remove or install the body bolts! You may also get one that spins. Here's a trick that may work. Hook your engine hoist to the trunk latch on the body and keep pressure on the caged nut and you should be able to get it out. Good luck, have fun. I'll never do it again.

I agree about never wanting to do it again, that's why I went with neoprem. Although the ride was a lot harder.

I believe every body bolt is a 15mm. Just put a shallow socket up in the holes with a 6in extension. The holes are about 3in across. ?? Good amount of room. The gas tank is bolted to the body.

Ok,someone just flagged my reply above for Bad Spelling. What kind of cr*p is that?

I don't see anything up there that is wrong or misleading due to spelling. No,nothing has been edited.