Frame reinforcement

movinfast

So I’ve been doing a frame off on my car. And I had an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I’ve been doing a frame off on my car. And I had an idea.

what do you guys think? And do you think it will help
bd4cc95560fc5c6846ae48df643d2750.jpeg
cba12b54d5a8fbbbe8dbb295ebe87cc3.jpeg

0a91b65d470462a49165a4e4b2445717.jpg
921195f2a3e9f09fba6009acce6db936.jpg
1a88e1cc4b6c4ac94f0717db3c753612.jpg

Yes that should help! I put a tube on a 45* on the section where you removed the flat straps and then gusseted it in with a flat plate. Doing a frame off like that is a hell of a lot of work! I also fixed just about every body mount hole
And added a cross tube near the shock towers & boxed the open rails. And a new floor pan.

Yes that should help! I put a tube on a 45* on the section where you removed the flat straps and then gusseted it in with a flat plate. Doing a frame off like that is a hell of a lot of work! I also fixed just about every body mount hole
And added a cross tube near the shock towers & boxed the open rails. And a new floor pan.

You should check out my build in the restoration section. It’s called my turbo6 project

I am trying to think here...so please be kind. First off...basic geometry will definitely prevail in stiffness in the frame. However, the fuel filter is located exactly were those braces are and that will be another issue. I am assuming here, this is a build of something that probably needs a lot of fabrication? That is too say, what you are doing is all ready above my skill, so I got nothing else...

I am trying to think here...so please be kind. First off...basic geometry will definitely prevail in stiffness in the frame. However, the fuel filter is located exactly were those braces are and that will be another issue. I am assuming here, this is a build of something that probably needs a lot of fabrication? That is too say, what you are doing is all ready above my skill, so I got nothing else...

Thanks for putting this out there for us to look at!!!!

I'm of the same opinion as "JM". They look as if they will be in the way of the OEM fuel filter, not so hard to relocate, but to the post below his, it asks a legit question.

How thick are these gusset's and will they really achieve much more of the intended purpose once welded in than a good set of adjustable control arms and a big sway bar?

And/or, will they actually enhance the beefed up control arm/sway bar setup?

Is this summarization or is there some data showing it works better?

My car will be undergoing some major changes soon. If this is a legit upgrade, and worth the effort, I'd be all about doing it.

You're surely thinking outside the box. :)

Last edited:

I am going to relocate the fuel filter for sure.I am also not using the stock fuel lines.

I'm of the same opinion as "JM". They look as if they will be in the way of the OEM fuel filter, not so hard to relocate, but to the post below his, it asks a legit question.

How thick are these gusset's and will they really achieve much more of the intended purpose once welded in than a good set of adjustable control arms and a big sway bar?

My car will be undergoing some major changes soon. If this is a legit upgrade, and worth the effort, I'd be all about doing it.

I’m not sure how much they weigh but they are 1/8 steel and and pretty light. It started to be more a cosmetic thing for me but seeing how that area only has such a small brace I was hoping it would reinforce it a lil more. Welding that in place will or should help the frame when I notch it in a couple weeks. Yes I am relocating the fuel filter and running all after market fuel lines

I see it as there’s a skinny gusset there now and I’m making it better. Lol it’s gotta help some how

bbe0b5fcd214683a933eb30b0cd05565.jpg
e1a849dfcb6dfc0cb61dd7e2305e22b8.jpg
its so pretty lol turbo6. Just a quick mock up. I gotta grind a lil off the side for a curve.

Mine.
BTW, the frame topic has been posted before. Not sure the search works, but it's worth a try.
The rear brkts for the cross bar are available from GNS.
And, yes, the welds were cleaned up....
The pads on top of the shock mt area are 1/8" 6 x 6".. legal to mount roll cage struts to.
rear frame tie bars 002.jpg
rear frame brace brkts 008.jpg
rear frame tie bars 003.jpg

We sell a Lot of bracing for these cars and we even offer a "Frame Box in kit" to box in the large straight portion of the frame.

Engine bay/ Core support braces
Frame box in kit
Triangulated braces - works only with a OEM stock location IC
Separate front frame braces which will clear a Front mount
Shock tower braces
Rear frame brace brackets

Last edited:
AIRC, it's 1.25" x .125 wall. I can measure tomorrow, and be sure.
That’s overkill on the wall thickness but Chucky’s engine makes monster power.
That rear bar could be 0.093 wall or 0.085 wall and still work very well.
Chuck is making like 1200hp