Front Mount vs. Stock Location Intercooler.

I ran 11.77@112 on a stock turbo, stock intercooler (ported out inlet ) and 30 lb injectors using DOT 8"M&H tires, back in 1990. You dont need an intercooler for your goals. (But it won't hurt either. ) Learn to tune the car. Way more power in that than all the parts you ever throw at it.

Funny thread. A untouched stock location has been 132 in the 1/4. Fastest stock turbo car ran 11.3 on a factory stock IC with Dutt neck.

Here in Florida a front mount makes the ac blow warmer and car heat up in traffic. So its new fans, new radiator, upgrade the wiring to the fans, possibly upgrade the water pump.. for what??

The big advantage to a front mount is if you have to "hot lap" the car like in class racing.. the larger area is a benefit. You let that stock IC cool down.. it will get the job done.

Getting some extra heat will help an injection kit work better anyways. And boost numbers upwards of 30 PSI have been done on SLIC and meth injection.

I don't know how any Hot Rodder can perform the Spring Cleaning on the OEM SLIC & not want to at least port the inlet as much as possible. It just stands out as the bottle neck of the system & begs for a good grinding.

~JM~

I don't know how any Hot Rodder can perform the Spring Cleaning on the OEM SLIC & not want to at least port the inlet as much as possible. It just stands out as the bottle neck of the system & begs for a good grinding.

~JM~
Its all relative. If your motor cant breathe.. opening it up does nothing.

One could argue the bottleneck is the turbo's outlet only being 2 inch.

Its all relative. If your motor cant breathe.. opening it up does nothing.

One could argue the bottleneck is the turbo's outlet only being 2 inch.

That was next on the porting list, but wanted to learn more about it first.

~JM~

Any of you guys ever see a TTA stock downpipe :eek:

Have not.. I have seen a stock GN one.. Is it very restrictive?

Oh and.. Power can be had CHEAP! Check out my sig.. I have less than 2k in parts.. Unfortunately now I just need to learn to tune. But I am pretty happy with my power for now. I don't know how much power could be had with a better SLIC or FMIC.

Any of you guys ever see a TTA stock downpipe :eek:
Yup and id rather run with it and spend $1k on other parts than replace it with a kool guy one that will net about 11 hp on a low 11sec car. Then again that wheel dump is cool. Just hack a big hole in the unibody and let it breathe

Yup and id rather run with it and spend $1k on other parts than replace it with a kool guy one that will net about 11 hp on a low 11sec car. Then again that wheel dump is cool. Just hack a big hole in the unibody and let it breathe

:D TTA guys don't understand that either

Well.. To be fair, it might not be the "cool guy" aspect that leads people to a 3" pipe.. I needed one due to the puck size on the new turbo. The stock one would not have covered the hole, or I would have kept it... I bought a pipe for as cheap as I could find..

Thanks Bison,I wasn't trying to be a a$$ ,just trying to make a point(no disrespect to any):oops:
If you have iron heads alum are faster
if you have flat tappet a roller is faster
if you have chip FAST is faster
if you have SLIC front mount is faster
All these have been beaten to death.:eek:
Now back to the op question.Pick an ET or what YOU want for the car.For ex I only want my car to run 11.50 in bad air because that will be about 11.10 in good air and anything faster than 11.40 at our local tracks will get you booted.I have no intention in putting a bar in either of my cars so my combination will reflect this.I also don't race a dyno so really don't care about those numbers.BUT if you want to go to go to cruise night and car show the more aftermarket parts you have on the car the more things you have to talk about so go ahead.;)Ok let the mud slinging begino_O

Kevin

Bison runs everything you said in the "Oppisite Order" an Runs 6.90's in full street car.......!!! Bhahahah

HelloBozos said:
Bison runs everything you said in the "Oppisite Order" an Runs 6.90's in full street car.......!!! Bhahahah

You are starting to become rather annoying. I still will put my money on Bison. Put up or shut up.

I ran 11.77@112 on a stock turbo, stock intercooler (ported out inlet ) and 30 lb injectors using DOT 8"M&H tires, back in 1990. You dont need an intercooler for your goals. (But it won't hurt either. ) Learn to tune the car. Way more power in that than all the parts you ever throw at it.
I have not seen any reference to the flow characteristics of the slic scoops in general. My Precision slic scoop does not present air well to the entire core.Definate improvements can be made.The stock scoop performs quite well.

If I was younger I'd roll race ya. Bring it on down to Bradenton and let's line 'em up in the 1/4 mile. 3.42's vs 3.20's

HelloBozos said:
This race we use Snow Tires??? or come on down to Sunny Florida!!!

Dont worry about that. There is a high probability I'll be moving to FL within a couple years. At least I'll know there is someone there to pick on when I get there.