Full Manual Valve body

CopGn

How much of a pain would it be to drive a with a full manual Valve body (shifting for every gear manually)? Has anyone tried it? Any benefit at the track or street? What happens if you come to a stop without putting it in first? Can you put it in neutral if you know you are stopping?

manual shift body

Copgn, I've been asking the same question but have got no
input so far, I have a manual valve body in my G.N. but have
never driven it yet, kinda wonder what to expect???
Vern

CopGN

I didn't have a choice thats way it was when I bought it,
My car had an engine fire so instead of fixing it the guy
let the insurance Co. take it thats where I got it. and let
me tell you it's been a project
Vern

A manual valvebody is pretty much like driving a standard without the clutch. If it's in third when your stopped you will taking off from third gear.
There is no reason to put it in nutral when stopped. It still has a converter like any other automatic trans it just won't shift itself.

So if you had the power you could pull from a stop in second and then tool around town in third? I had a big block in a light car (2750lb) with a 5 speed. Unless it was going up a hill I would always take off in second. Actually if the car was going downhill starting from 1st made the car slower due to the drag from the 1st gear ratio.

Heck, I launched my car in 2nd at the track. I thought I forgot to turn the transbreak on, figured it out when I went to go for third and it wasn't there:confused: It can be a pain, but not as bad as a stick, no clutch to contend with. (See my sig.) As for hitting the shifts right, I have a shift light set for around 5K.

Yes if you have the power you could.
I have a 70 Camaro with a 650 horse bbc and 4.56 gears so driving around town 1st gear is pretty much useless. So I start out in second.
But as far as a gn, with 3.42's i don't think it would make enough low end power to start out in second driving around town. it would move, but you would have to really step on the gas to get it to go.

When my t type broke at the track, my good friend let me put my car on his trailer, and I drove his 87 T with a TH400 and full manual valve body about 70 miles home. Once you get use to it, it is not really a big deal.

tangofox,

Why on earth would you put a TH400 in a stocker in the 12's for? These days you don't do that until you are in the 9's. A Th400 weighs more, and takes more power than a 200. I've heard of tests in the past on cars with a Th400 in the 12's and it slowed it down by .3 sec in the quarter over a 200 trans. Besides you are giving up overdrive and lockup for the street.

And whether or not you have enough power to start a TH400 or 200 trans in second gear is not the issue. ITS NOT GOOD FOR THE TRANSMISSION! Don't do it. It won't go out immediately but over time it will hurt it. 4.56 gears make that a little different than our 3.42 gears. But just the same first gear in a 200 are clutches and second gear is a band. I'm not a tranny guy but I don't think the band was designed for starting from a stop.

I was wondering the same thing about having a t400 with a brake in a high 12 car. Seems like you took alot of streetability out of the car for that level.
As far as starting in second on a t400. Iv'e been driving the car that way for over 6 years and have not had one problem with the trans or motor. With a 3000 stall converter and 4.56 gears first gear is really useless on the street!
But i do agree with doing that on a 2004r. Probably not a smart thing to do all the time.