funny clueless guy at pep boys today

People need to remember that parts counter help at a chain parts store are there to look up what YOU the customer wants.Do they really need to know any more than the information that YOU the customer gives them?I don't think so.If you are relying on the parts counter guy knowing more about your vehicle then you shouln't be working on your own car.They really only need to be able to get the part I want them to get, if they can do that than I am 100% happy with their knowledge of me vehicle.:) Eric

People need to remember that parts counter help at a chain parts store are there to look up what YOU the customer wants.Do they really need to know any more than the information that YOU the customer gives them?I don't think so.If you are relying on the parts counter guy knowing more about your vehicle then you shouln't be working on your own car.They really only need to be able to get the part I want them to get, if they can do that than I am 100% happy with their knowledge of me vehicle.:) Eric

LMAO because you just reminded me of a friend of mine. He purchased wheel bearings to change in his F-150. He asked the parts counter worker how tight should the nut that holds the bearings in be. The parts counter (AutoZone) worker said 400 ft/lbs. My friend put that nut on so tight that all the grease was squeezed out and the heat damage caused him to have to get a new spindle. He was pist. I couldn't help but laugh. He definately learned his lesson.

evidently you must work for pep boys or autozone. do you mean to tell me that the counter guy at one of these stores has no business knowing anything about cars??? no way is it true, that I need to know more about cars than the parts guy at an automotive supply house. Did you ever hear of "specialization?" this term defines why anything gets done in this world. i am a plumber. i don't claim to be a car mechanic just because i can solder joints or peice a heating system together. why do you think there are all different types of doctors? specialization is the key to overall success in the world. i am tired of these car stores being so cheap that they hire these idiots, and in the meantime, sell things that don't pertain to cars, such as quads, minibikes, and all the other chinese/foreign junk that they are trying to make a buck off of.

by the way to get back to your main point, that they (the counter guys) are there to only look up on the computer what the customer wants..............why even have a counter guy in the first place? why not let you look it up on your own, which is what i usually end up doing anyway.

evidently you must work for pep boys or autozone. do you mean to tell me that the counter guy at one of these stores has no business knowing anything about cars??? no way is it true, that I need to know more about cars than the parts guy at an automotive supply house. Did you ever hear of "specialization?" this term defines why anything gets done in this world. i am a plumber. i don't claim to be a car mechanic just because i can solder joints or peice a heating system together. why do you think there are all different types of doctors? specialization is the key to overall success in the world. why even have a counter guy in the first place? why not let you look it up on your own, which is what i usually end up doing anyway.

No I don"t work for any parts store.As for specialization,come on you are going to a parts store to get parts.If you want specialization go to a repair shop.These guys shouldn't need to know how to fix cars.The only requirement I think they should need is to be able to look up the part and get it. YES it would be great if these $8.00 to $11.00 dollar an hour guys could tell us everything about every car out there but that is just unrealistic! You think the guy behind the counter should know more about cars than you right?you said you are a plumber.Well should the guy at the plumbing supply house know more about plumbing than you?If I went down to my local plumbing supply house and asked them what I needed to do a job they would laugh at me and tell me to get a professional to come in and tell them exactly what they want.Why should the auto parts store be any different.Granted you're probably going to say it is more of a DIY type of environment but shouldn"t the customer tackling the job really know more about that job than the kid behind the counter?When you go to the supply house to get your parts I suspect you don't ask the guy behind the counter how much clearance you need between the toilet and vanity and tub to be within code,or ask how high should you install the shower head.That"s because you are the professional and you should know this stuff ,if he knew more about your job than you he would be doing it. I just think people are asking too much of these kids at the discount parts stores.I agree with you that they should at least know the parts.We need to remember not everyone loves these cars like we do so they don't even know what they are.As for my local Autozone all the guys behind the counter are like the guy you described.They don't know anything,but as long as I am able to get them to find the part they did their job in my eyes.I went there to get a part if I come out with the part I should be happy.As for looking up our own parts that would be great.I look up my own parts online either at autozone or advance and get the part number and verify they do have the parts that way if the parts guy has trouble finding it I can just give him the part number to go get it.Everybody can save themselves the trouble at autozone by just saying it is a buick regal ,then when they ask engine size tell them 3.8 turbo. At advance I believe you can just say buick grand national.

No I don"t work for any parts store.As for specialization,come on you are going to a parts store to get parts.If you want specialization go to a repair shop.These guys shouldn't need to know how to fix cars.The only requirement I think they should need is to be able to look up the part and get it. YES it would be great if these $8.00 to $11.00 dollar an hour guys could tell us everything about every car out there but that is just unrealistic! You think the guy behind the counter should know more about cars than you right?you said you are a plumber.Well should the guy at the plumbing supply house know more about plumbing than you?If I went down to my local plumbing supply house and asked them what I needed to do a job they would laugh at me and tell me to get a professional to come in and tell them exactly what they want.Why should the auto parts store be any different.Granted you're probably going to say it is more of a DIY type of environment but shouldn"t the customer tackling the job really know more about that job than the kid behind the counter?When you go to the supply house to get your parts I suspect you don't ask the guy behind the counter how much clearance you need between the toilet and vanity and tub to be within code,or ask how high should you install the shower head.That"s because you are the professional and you should know this stuff ,if he knew more about your job than you he would be doing it. I just think people are asking too much of these kids at the discount parts stores.I agree with you that they should at least know the parts.We need to remember not everyone loves these cars like we do so they don't even know what they are.As for my local Autozone all the guys behind the counter are like the guy you described.They don't know anything,but as long as I am able to get them to find the part they did their job in my eyes.I went there to get a part if I come out with the part I should be happy.As for looking up our own parts that would be great.I look up my own parts online either at autozone or advance and get the part number and verify they do have the parts that way if the parts guy has trouble finding it I can just give him the part number to go get it.Everybody can save themselves the trouble at autozone by just saying it is a buick regal ,then when they ask engine size tell them 3.8 turbo. At advance I believe you can just say buick grand national.

I hear what you're saying. You can't expect these guys to know much about cars. If they did, they would be working somewhere else making more money. But you are completely wrong about the plumbing supply house. In fact, there is a master plumber and a journeyman that work at my supply house. Most guys at supply houses used to be plumbers. They decide to go work at a supply house because it's easier. They are either lazy, or just couldn't hack it as a plumber, and rather hang out in the ac at the supply house all day. I constantly have questions for the guy, Joe, who is the master plumber. He is about twice my age, and probably has 3x my experience. I am a professional, but there are always new things to be learned. I just thought it was funny when the guy asked me if an '87 Buick Grand National was an SUV. Bottom line, I think Pep Boys is much worse than Advance. I've actually had really good experiences at Advance. If you dealt more with Pep Boys you would know how I feel. Pep Boys should stop being so cheap. It would behoove them to pay some decent money to a little more knowledgeable counter guys. I know for a fact that more people would shop there if their workers weren't such idiots. I can think of 2 people off the top of my head, that don't even go to Pep Boys anymore because the people there are so clueless. Instead they go to the local Bob's auto parts, which is a little more of a drive. Anyway, I think that Advance, and maybe Autozone, are much better run than Pep Boys, and that's why they have been kicking Pep Boy's butt. I just go to Pep Boys because it's in my neighborhood.

I hear what you're saying. You can't expect these guys to know much about cars. If they did, they would be working somewhere else making more money. But you are completely wrong about the plumbing supply house. In fact, there is a master plumber and a journeyman that work at my supply house. Most guys at supply houses used to be plumbers. They decide to go work at a supply house because it's easier. They are either lazy, or just couldn't hack it as a plumber, and rather hang out in the ac at the supply house all day. I constantly have questions for the guy, Joe, who is the master plumber. He is about twice my age, and probably has 3x my experience. I am a professional, but there are always new things to be learned. I just thought it was funny when the guy asked me if an '87 Buick Grand National was an SUV. Bottom line, I think Pep Boys is much worse than Advance. I've actually had really good experiences at Advance. If you dealt more with Pep Boys you would know how I feel. Pep Boys should stop being so cheap. It would behoove them to pay some decent money to a little more knowledgeable counter guys. I know for a fact that more people would shop there if their workers weren't such idiots. I can think of 2 people off the top of my head, that don't even go to Pep Boys anymore because the people there are so clueless. Instead they go to the local Bob's auto parts, which is a little more of a drive. Anyway, I think that Advance, and maybe Autozone, are much better run than Pep Boys, and that's why they have been kicking Pep Boy's butt. I just go to Pep Boys because it's in my neighborhood.

I figured I was probably going to be wrong about the plumbing supply guys.I think the difference that people need to understand is that these discount chains are geared towards DIY.The knowledge is"nt going to be the same as you would expect from a jobber type of parts store that deals with professional mechanics.Plumbing supply is geared towards professionals so the counter help in theory should also be professional.:)

this thread made me laugh a little. yesterday I went to the Carquest Regional Warehouse for a heater core for my TR. They usually have anything I have needed for my Camaro but this was first time for this car. They did not have. Bummer, thought what the hey I'll stop at Pep Boys just in case.They had the part. Did not list Grand national or T-type but had motor with turbo listed. I was blown away. anyway that cracked me up

The biggest problem with the new generation of parts people at say, Autozone is that they are completely reliant on the computer. When I worked at several places back in the day, including dealerships, you had to know how to read the manuals and catalogs. To me these people should be able to use manuals and look things up. They should also pass a comprehensive test to qualify for the job. There is nothing more frustrating than coming to the realization that the guy behind the counter is completely clueless. I've actually had to tell some how to cross-reference part numbers. They should never give out advice period if they don't know what they are talking about! It was fun for me when I worked, to actual prove to customers that I was right and knew more than they did. There were plenty of Chevy boys that were schooled by this former Ford guy. :)

The biggest problem with the new generation of parts people at say, Autozone is that they are completely reliant on the computer.

Ditto

Growing up I didn't have anyone who knew two cents about auto repairs. I had to seek out help from repair shops and parts stores. During this time places like Autozone and Advanced was full of people who knew more than their fair share about cars. If not for these people I would have been screwed! Nows days I'm still no wiz kid when it comes to cars but I probaly know more than most people working behind the counters of Autozone and Advance. As you pointed out they people relie heavily on their new computer programs to find parts. This allows them to hire people with little or no auto repair experience...making for a cheaper work force. I really can't aurgue this and in some ways I'm happy since this works better than some idiot without a computer looking for my parts. The thing is, they lack skills to cross check parts. Now granted I agree they don't need to be master machnics but they need to be able to cross check and find a few things without a Computer. DIY'ers change **** up all the time! Just look at how many people on this board alone who's shoehorned a 3.8 Turbo into something other than a Regal. Heck, what about the guy who shoved a Duromax into a Cultelsss but changed the exterrior of the car to look like a Grand National? I bet he would have tons of fun at his local autozone...your Buick has a Duromax?? lol I've gotten to the point I don't tell them my car if I'm looking for something thats not typical found on it. A good example would be if I needed parts for my vaccum brakes. I would simply ask for parts off some Malibu or Monte Carlo since the 87'T-types never came with vaccum brakes.

Oh, Oh, I got one.....Last thursday I call up O'reilly's and tell the "PARTSMAN" that I need the driver's side motor mount for my Turbo T.....SO he replies that he has the LH one in stock and that he would have to order the RH. He than replies.... "if the LH one is the driver's side come on down, I got IT.........:eek:
Saturday, while I'm changing the LH side (driver's side:wink: )motor mount, I notice that the freeze plug under the LH side (driver's side) is leaking.......So instead of calling O'reilly's I go down there. Now I'm face to face with the "KID" (partsman), now this isn't the same partsman from last thursday, I tell him that I need a freeze plug "KIT" for a '87 Buick Regal 3.8 Turbo 231 v6 blah, blah, blah......So now he is looking into his crystal ball (computer), he replies that they don't sell them as kits......I correct him, stating to him that yes they are sold in kit form or individually....and the next request that I had was that I wanted a brass kit not steel kit. Now he is looking at me like "What frigging planet did this guy just come from!!!!!!!" As I look back I could see that we were done! It's saturday, 5:30pm, and as most people know that Most Real Parts Stores are closed........you know the ones......the ones that you show them a widget and they say "Yeah I've got that widget, its for a '54 Chevy pickup, thought you had me "boy" didn't you!!!!!!!!!!!"

You can get your parts from a place where the countermen know a lot more about the parts they are selling than the average chain store but then it would have to be called Napa and the parts would cost way more to pay the wage the more knowledgeable guy requires.

You can knock the "computer" parts look up system but it's much much much faster than trying to look up parts with one of the 100 catalogs the store usually has. Then there is the issue of more than one manufacturer making the part but your store only carrying one of them. You'd have to get the pn from every manufacturer, go to the back, look until you find which one you carry... no thanks. Much easier to find whats on hand via the computer. Very seldom do you need any of the books and when you do, the customer knows what he wants already.
The new computer systems I have been seeing are pretty impressive and I forsee the ink and paper catalogs becoming obsolete soon

I agree with you 100%
I was a teenaged counter guy

Now I am a plumber
I do go to the supply house and ask questions about parts and new tech.
I generally know what I am looking for.
In the supply house I go to they have a "master heating tech" he can accurately answer 98% of heating questions and problems. He really knows his stuff.
2 winters ago he calls me because he has no heat in his house.
In ten minutes I new the problem and had it fixed in 1 hour.
My point he can look up parts details and trouble shot with the info we give him. But put him under the hood and he is lost.

The parts guy gets the parts we ask for
And the
Mechanic tells you the problem or fixes it.

AutoZone...

I used to work for AutoZone. That was a interesting experience. The store(s) I worked at werent too bad, just had misift customers and a high turnover rate. I consider myself fairly knowledgable about cars, but by no means am I an expert. If a customer came in and said "I need this part for such and such a vehicle", I could do it no problem. Most customers of AutoZone, however; think the parts people are mechanics. I told countless people that we are not. And dont even get me started on the free OBDII diagnostic that AutoZone does. They want the car fixed then and there... agravated the hell outta me. Most of the management, etc. are good to work with. I did however have a few d!ckhead store managers. Some people just shouldnt work at a parts store. But I do agree, nowadays there are all kids working at parts stores. A shame really.

And there are the customers who call to check the price on a quart of oil... :mad:

I know everyone has heard this one before... I'm talking to my co-worker this morning, I told him I bought a used car this weekend 86GN. I go into detail explaining the 3 TR's I've owned prior, the difference between T-Type's, Turbo-T's, and Grand Nationals, and mentioned it was produced by Buick. We were talking for like 10 minutes, so he asks to show him a picture, and I do. You know what he says next, "Is that some type of a Monte Carlo"? :mad: WTF dude!!!!
My brother used to have a Monte Carlo and when i got to high school he got out. My first car is an 81 Regal and everone insists that it is a Monte Carlo and I am wrong.

I ran into these problems all the time with my 64 chevy II. It had a DANA 60 so you could imagine the hassle of trying to get a pinion seal for it. It also had a 406 in it. So again just trying to get a water pump was an ordeal.

you guys want knowledgeable people behind the parts counter

GO to the Ma&Pa parts stores and stay out of the big corporate chain stores.

We have a few mom n pop or family operated parts stores around here. But most of them have gone to some sort of chain. Only one I can think of currently is a old family store that used to have a machine shop. Good people there. Sometimes they can be a PITA to deal with though.

Ive been out of AutoZone for over three years. TO THIS DAY, I still get asked questions about cars and such. Even told my old boss what was wrong with her car once. I did have a little help to make sure I right, or at least putting her on the right path.

Lately Ive been dealig with private parts warehouses, that supply auto shops. Havent had any bad experiences. One part I got was bad, but they refunded my money without problem. If I need a specialized part, I'll go to the dealer. But anything routine I'll hit the chain stores.

Recently I was helping my buddy track down some exhaust manifold gaskets for his T-Type. None of the usual local stores had them, they couldnt get them or had to order them. Made a call to the local NAPA store in Middletown, they had them in stock. Had to pick them up but for $8 in stock I'll go for a ride.

As for people not know what my car is, surprising most people know that it is or at the least that it's a Buick. Had some kid (18, maybe 19 tops) in a WS-6 T/A tell me my car had a turbo V8 in it. We were rolling on Coastal Highway in OCMD arguing. Sadly he didnt want to pull over and count my plug wires so he found out the hard way and ended up embarrassed in front of his hot blonde girlfriend.

I could go on all day but I'll stop here.

Check the date before your post. Pay attention son.

Why not? I don't see why we can't bring back an old topic. I actually have a couple stories that I will post when I am not fixing something to eat... Posting from the Iphone lol. Anyways, I want to work at an autozone so hopefully I get the job :D.

The stories never end.

I wanted an oil pan gasket for my 87 T. Guy brings out a box and I read the back, many misc years of Buick V-6. I open the box and it is too small to be for the 3.8. He insists it is the right one becasue the puter says it is. After a few minutes of discussion, another guy comes over and looks it up. He says we don't have one but I can get one here this afternoon. Looks at the guy and says that one is for a 3800, not the same motor Bub.

Mikey