G-body 25.3 SFI rebuild

Tried to have a productive weekend working on the car last evening and this afternoon. I wound up spending that time doing some rewire work on the power & ground cables.

Some of the professionals that saw the pics suggested I install a dedicated ground cable front to back in the car to attach all the ground circuits as the chromoly tubing & stock metal is not a sufficient ground plane.

Anyway, turned out to be quite a bit of work and was difficult to make the grounds look neat with as many connections there wound up being. Turned out alright I guess, but this case, form must follow function, so a properly grounded electrical system was more important than neatness.

The car previously had 1/0 power cable which I removed and replaced with 2 gauge cable and ran an identical size 2 gauge for the ground front to back.

In the passenger kick panel area I installed a pass-thru stud to allow me to ground the engine block & cylinder heads to the main ground cable. The block was tough to figure out since the diaper completely covers the block to the bottom of the heads. Passing from the frame to the block with the cable took some head scratching.

I also made up a harness leading up front to power the fan, head lights, parking lights and their respective ground circuits. I terminated that harness at the front of the frame rails with a 5 pin round Delphi weatherpak connector. I'll finish the rest of that once the tubular core support is built and I can install the front clip for the last time.

Other than the forward harness, the only other electrical components that need completing is connecting a couple data logger sensors to the engine.

Next project will be making a jig so I can then build the tubular chromoly core support.

assembly65.jpg

assembly66.jpg

Very Cool! Nice to find good stuff like that especially when you dont know about it's Just a little perk for all your hard work! Hopefully i can come to the track this summer and see it run!
Chris

Amazing work is all I can say and Very impressive tig work! If I may ask what Tungsten/rod/gas you are using for CM?.

Amazing work is all I can say and Very impressive tig work! If I may ask what Tungsten/rod/gas you are using for CM?.

Thank you.

3/32" red 2% thoriated tungsten, 1/16" ER80S-D2 filler rod, straight argon gas.

Although we have two Miller 250DX machines at work, I used my little Lincoln 175 Pro to do all the welding on the car.

Thanks for the info. I love my PRecision tig 225 also...rest of the stuff is miller. I have started using the lanthenate 1.5% (gold tip) with great succes on Aluminum and SS. ONce again VERY nice work!

Thanks for the info. I love my PRecision tig 225 also...rest of the stuff is miller. I have started using the lanthenate 1.5% (gold tip) with great succes on Aluminum and SS. ONce again VERY nice work!

Thanks for the compliment. The boss and I would both like to try a Dynasty someday, but neither of us want to pay for it. lol

assembly67.jpg

So do they look any different? lol

Just got the front shocks back from Afco where they were revalved. They were originally BNC shocks, but had the rebound side updated to the Big Gun package. Needed more control as the rebound was maxed out and the car was still 18"+ on the bars (with 2 3/4" of extension travel).

Hoping this tweak will ultimately allow me to take the bars off for good. We'll see come spring.

Oh yea, I got started building a jig of the stock core support. It's almost done with two more holes to locate. Once that's done I'll be able to start fabricating the brackets & bending tubes for the new chromoly tube core support.

BTW, the original core support (swiss cheesed) weighed 23 lbs on the digital scales. My calculations show the tubular version should weigh around 8 lbs.

Will take some pics over the weekend and give a weight on the new tube version once it's done. Hope to make decent progress on the fabrication Sunday.

Oh yea, I got started building a jig of the stock core support. It's almost done with two more holes to locate. Once that's done I'll be able to start fabricating the brackets & bending tubes for the new chromoly tube core support.

BTW, the original core support (swiss cheesed) weighed 23 lbs on the digital scales. My calculations show the tubular version should weigh around 8 lbs.

Will take some pics over the weekend and give a weight on the new tube version once it's done. Hope to make decent progress on the fabrication Sunday.

Very interested in this... I am thinking of lightening the front of the new car and would love to do something like you are.

Momentous occasion here today.

After 14 months of rebuild time, the Malibu is back on it's feet once again!

assembly68.jpg

assembly69.jpg

assembly70.jpg

Back to the shop tomorrow to work more on the tubular core support.

I worked today and got most of the tubular core support fabricated. I still need to mock up the fenders, hood & header panel to verify everything still fits as it should.

I also need to fabricate a bracket to hold the Star vacuum pump intake/exhaust tank. I'll also need to decide if I need to make a bracket for the coolant overflow canister as well.

Original core support, swiss cheesed down to 23 lbs.

assembly74.jpg

New chromoly tubular core support, 6 lbs.

assembly71.jpg

assembly72.jpg

assembly73.jpg

Mocked up the front end this evening. Fit seems good, little more flex than I'd like so I'll be watching that as I bolt the fenders down tight and if needed, I'll need to come up with some sort of bracing. I also plan to make come stand off's to provide bolt locations for some of the header panel bolt locations so I'm not relying on the end bolts under the turn lenses.

assembly75.jpg

assembly76.jpg

Looks great, just need some triangulation to get the shimmy out of it, too bad the cage is already done, no welding on that puppy anymore, be nice to tab off of it, how about some collar clamps with 3/8" heims for support tubes ?

Problem with the core support triangulation is the header panel headlight buckets run right below the outer portion of the top tube. Kinda blocks access to running a diagonal back down to the vertical upright. I'll come up with something, even if I have to cut a little more of the headlight bucket out.

I also plan to add some brackets to tie the header panel to the core support similar to how the stock core support was. Granted, not all the locations, just some key ones to even out the load of the header panel supporting it's own weight.