Gas Tank strap bolts

dmclean

I am trying to remove the gas tank to inspect it and front strap bolts seem to be seized in the cage nut. I don't want to force it and I have soaked it with penetrating oil. Any advice to getting the bolt out without wrecking the cage nut would be appreciated.

gas tank mounting bolt.PNG

I am trying to remove the gas tank to inspect it and front strap bolts seem to be seized in the cage nut. I don't want to force it and I have soaked it with penetrating oil. Any advice to getting the bolt out without wrecking the cage nut would be appreciated.

View attachment 256180

what penetrating oil are you using ... I use G96 gun treatment .. I know sounds stupid... but I spray it on and leave it sit.. spray again leave it sit.. and MOST of the time. it will break things loose ... it literally just breaks the rust away

I use this if the typical PB Blast doesn't work ... the key is to let it sit and soak in... not just spray and put a wrench on it ... leave it sit soaked for hours and even overnite if possible

what penetrating oil are you using ... I use G96 gun treatment .. I know sounds stupid... but I spray it on and leave it sit.. spray again leave it sit.. and MOST of the time. it will break things loose ... it literally just breaks the rust away

I use this if the typical PB Blast doesn't work ... the key is to let it sit and soak in... not just spray and put a wrench on it ... leave it sit soaked for hours and even overnite if possible
I had a can of gunk penetrant and sprayed it yesterday morning. It's was sitting for a day before I tried to wrench it. Pacecarta just said to impact it off so I'll try that.

impact gun

and its not a caged nut its a clip nut , slides off
Thanks for the terminology. I wasn't sure what to call it. I am in the IT world and a similar nut is called a cage nut. Won't the impact gun damage the clip nut. I suppose an auto supply place would have a replacement though if I wreck it.

the bolt is metric m10x1.5
you could use a nut on the top just would have to hold with a wrench while you spin the bolt up

i dont remove those, just loosen them to the last thread then with the tension off the straps youll be able to drop the ones at the front

the bolt is metric m10x1.5
you could use a nut on the top just would have to hold with a wrench while you spin the bolt up

i dont remove those, just loosen them to the last thread then with the tension off the straps youll be able to drop the ones at the front
Finally the rain stopped. I got the front bolts loosened a good inch or so and expected the tank to drop as I backed off the bolts but it didn't. I can't figure out what might be holding it up. the feed, return and vent hoses are disconnected and the rear bolts are loosened. Any ideas?

It'll still be pretty snug up there. There's still a good amount of tension on the rest of the strap. One inch won't do it. Keep going

It'll still be pretty snug up there. There's still a good amount of tension on the rest of the strap. One inch won't do it. Keep going
Thanks Boostlan, I have the front supports backed out as far as they will go as suggested by pacecarta and thought the weight of the tank (and gas I couldn't get out) would allow the tank to drop but it won't budge. I might try to gently try to pry it a bit but not if there might be something else holding it that I don't know about. Frustrating fun!

It looks like it was the anti-squeak strap was stuck to the underbody. I just went out to look and it had dropped by itself.

remove the 13mm bolt holding the steel lines to the trunk floor above the axle

I forgot to mention that I did that already. The tank is loose now. I'm just going out to lower it and see if I can get the locking cam off to take a look inside for rust. I'm crossing my fingers. The outside looks great, no rust at all. Wish me luck.