Gbodyparts headliner

ASturbo86

I'm very disappointed with the response from Gbodyparts on the headliner I purchased from them.
After being assured by Brian and Eric it was the 'closest' match available before and after it arrived, I took my visors and moonroof slider in to get recovered at my local interior shop with the extra material. With one look they could tell it was not the correct color they usually use for GN's. This confirmed my initial concern and I contacted Gbodyparts to resolve the issue. I sent them samples of my original (which I confirmed matched up with two other GN's in my area, to avoid the usual fading excuse, etc.) and a sample of the wrong material they sent me to demonstrate the very noticeable difference in color. Also tried to give them some time and only deal with Eric since I know Brian is going through a tough time right now. In the meantime, I had Acme headliners and another vendor that carries Acme products send me a sample of their Med Dk Gray material which should be in our cars. Guess what, the samples they sent me were almost an identical match to my original.
So with it being confirmed in numerous ways that there is TRULY an almost identical match out on the market for our GN's I thought for sure Gbodyparts would agree and stand behind what they advertise by sending me the correct color headliner. To my surprise I was told this is as close as it gets and that hundreds of others have used it without a problem. I really don't care what others have put in their cars, a lot of people don't care what they stick in their cars, I do and I paid good money for it to be correct! I could have went down and grabbed some off the shelf grey material, slapped it on and saved a whole hell of a lot of money. I didn't go that route because I wanted the closest color to original and made the mistake of thinking that gbodyparts had some quality control to make sure customers got what they expected. One option they gave me was to send it back AT MY EXPENSE and they would get me the correct color headliner (which confirms they know its available) shipped back to me AT MY EXPENSE. Wow, what a great deal! My other option is to send them back the original headliner they sent me AT MY EXPENSE again and they will refund the cost of the headliner. So if I do this I will be out the initial shipping cost, return shipping cost, and still no headliner. GREAT CUSTOMER CARE GBODYPARTS. THANKS!!!!!:mad:
I've dealt with Kirban, Turbo Tweak, and other various vendors over the years and have never had anywhere close to this type of 'tough luck' or 'take it or leave it' response! These are Buicks not Chevys!!!

To be fair, I have had better dealings with Brian in the near past which makes this so much more disappointing and frustrating. He helped me out on a power master issue I had and also sent out an expensive part that wasn't packed in my original shipment.
That being said it doesn't excuse this issue. I'm still hoping they will come thru with a better resolution.

You should see the blue seat covers he sells. It doesn't even come close to going with any part of the interior, let alone match original. The blue carpet doesn't match the original, but the color works with the interior trim. I don't think there is quality control, as alot of things are dropped shipped, so they never see them. He sees the $$$$ though!:mad:

That's what I was told, 'it was dropped shipped so it couldn't be incorrect', when the headliner first arrived and I questioned if it was the correct color because it was so light compared to my original.
I just don't understand how they could carry a gray headliner that differed so much from the original when Acme (which is the liner material manufacturer they use) has a near perfect color match available.

I'm very disappointed with the response from Gbodyparts on the headliner I purchased from them.
After being assured by Brian and Eric it was the 'closest' match available before and after it arrived, I took my visors and moonroof slider in to get recovered at my local interior shop with the extra material. With one look they could tell it was not the correct color they usually use for GN's. This confirmed my initial concern and I contacted Gbodyparts to resolve the issue. I sent them samples of my original (which I confirmed matched up with two other GN's in my area, to avoid the usual fading excuse, etc.) and a sample of the wrong material they sent me to demonstrate the very noticeable difference in color. Also tried to give them some time and only deal with Eric since I know Brian is going through a tough time right now. In the meantime, I had Acme headliners and another vendor that carries Acme products send me a sample of their Med Dk Gray material which should be in our cars. Guess what, the samples they sent me were almost an identical match to my original.So with it being confirmed in numerous ways that there is TRULY an almost identical match out on the market for our GN's I thought for sure Gbodyparts would agree and stand behind what they advertise by sending me the correct color headliner. To my surprise I was told this is as close as it gets and that hundreds of others have used it without a problem. I really don't care what others have put in their cars, a lot of people don't care what they stick in their cars, I do and I paid good money for it to be correct! I could have went down and grabbed some off the shelf grey material, slapped it on and saved a whole hell of a lot of money. I didn't go that route because I wanted the closest color to original and made the mistake of thinking that gbodyparts had some quality control to make sure customers got what they expected. One option they gave me was to send it back AT MY EXPENSE and they would get me the correct color headliner (which confirms they know its available) shipped back to me AT MY EXPENSE. Wow, what a great deal! My other option is to send them back the original headliner they sent me AT MY EXPENSE again and they will refund the cost of the headliner. So if I do this I will be out the initial shipping cost, return shipping cost, and still no headliner. GREAT CUSTOMER CARE GBODYPARTS. THANKS!!!!!:mad:
I've dealt with Kirban, Turbo Tweak, and other various vendors over the years and have never had anywhere close to this type of 'tough luck' or 'take it or leave it' response! These are Buicks not Chevys!!!
SO after all this bashing WHAY DIDN'T YOU JUST RETURN IT FOR A REFUND AND HAVE THAT OTHER SUPPLIER SEND YOU THERE'S INSTEAD OF THE BASHING???

Why do people feel they have to come to a public forum to mention EVERY LITTLE THING that happens in life regaurding vendors?

Personally, Once I seen it didn't match I would of asked for a refund (regaurdless if YOU have to pay for shipping back to him! After all It's YOUR decision to return it.) and sent it back. Now your done with that and move onto the vendor that sent you a sample that matched your preferance.

You see here, IT'S ALL ABOUT "YOUR PREFFERANCE"!! If YOU don't like the product, Whay not return it for one you do like?

SW.

SW.

Imo

SO after all this bashing WHAY DIDN'T YOU JUST RETURN IT FOR A REFUND AND HAVE THAT OTHER SUPPLIER SEND YOU THERE'S INSTEAD OF THE BASHING???

Why do people feel they have to come to a public forum to mention EVERY LITTLE THING that happens in life regaurding vendors?

Personally, Once I seen it didn't match I would of asked for a refund (regaurdless if YOU have to pay for shipping back to him! After all It's YOUR decision to return it.) and sent it back. Now your done with that and move onto the vendor that sent you a sample that matched your preferance.

You see here, IT'S ALL ABOUT "YOUR PREFFERANCE"!! If YOU don't like the product, Whay not return it for one you do like?

SW.

SW.

Don't know what the best way to go about something like this. I assume the original poster is somewhat pissed. IMO, atleast he's letting others know what to expect if they order the same product he did. Best of luck.

FEEDBACK forum, right?

Why is it always considered 'bashing' on here when you post feedback on your experience with a product and vendor?
Why is it wrong to expect the best quality available for your money?

Yes, I am pissed that I spent $256 plus shipping on a product that was touted as a "99%" match and does not come close to that. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/207598-headliner.html
I did raise the issue with them when it first arrived and was assured I had received the correct color and was the closest you could get. Even asked them if the color was marked somewhere on the product. When I confirmed that the MED DK GRAY material available FROM ACME was actually a 99% match by obtaining a sample, I thought for sure gbodyparts would agree once they saw it side by side too. I have to get appearance approvals as part of my job and the product I was sent would have been rejected in a heart beat. And no, I'm not expecting a perfect match, but it sure is hard to swallow when I know a material is out there that gets close, on top of it coming from a manufacturer that they carry. I'll post some pics to prove my points later tonight.
If I was a vendor and a person wasn't happy with my product and proved to me it wasn't correct, I would not expect them to pay for added shipping in the neighborhood of $100 because of it. I would consider it my mistake as a vendor advertising something that wasn't true and try to make that CUSTOMER happy. Just like I have experienced with other vendors on here and other places.

Let me break it down (approx):
initial shipping = $40-$50
return shipping = $50-$60
shipment for correct color headliner = $50-$60 (gbodyparts or any other vendor)
So I would be out an extra $100 or more dollars to get the CORRECT color headliner, hmm sounds fair to me.

All I want and expected with all the evidence is for them to admit it doesn't match (see the 99% reference) and send me one that does without additional shipping cost.
I'm hoping to receive some more feedback from them and we can come to a better resolution. This was one of my last resorts after phone calls and e-mails. Maybe I should just wait and deal with Brian when he is back.

READ thru the FACTS of my posts and you may understand the situation. Leave the emotions and the defending out of it.

So all this because of color?
Not to get off point but to let you know that I have done Auto Upholstery for over 25yrs with our family owned buisness and they are still in buisness. I'm yet to see why headliner material is costing $100 to ship!! Or $40-50 each way...

Not sure if your buying it with the backing board already attached or not but if you are I don't understand that either. Replacing a headliner on the original backing board is easy (about a 2hr job). And most Auto Upholstery shops will replace the headliner for you for about $75-85 (Including the material) At least thats what I charge! It's so easy my 9yr old helps me, We just finished a crown victoria for $90 and that was completly installed and included the material..

NOW, Let me tell you why I posted above. He is a little bit about the manufactures of materials. These companys mass produce these matrials and colors can vary a bit for the simple fact that there dye varys from order to order. You can have a PEFRECT color for 1yr and then the next time it's off. Thats due to the company making them. The sample they sent you could have been one of there original samples that did match good BUT the actual material sent out could slightly vary.

** So even though your angry with G-Body parts it may not be there fault one bit. If they started out with a company and the material matched 99% at first and now it's a year or more later that company may have got in a slightly different batch.

Steps of process:

1) Manufacture makes product for suppliers: Process is "Dying" the fabric!!
2) Manufacture sends out samples to there suppliers.
3) Suppliers try to match fabric by showing customers that sample.
4) Suppliers don't buy those huge sample books ofeten so samples do get out dated.
5) Vendors go to a supplier to see about getting Headliners done for us. At that time the samples matched 99% so he goes with that supplier.
6) Year goes by, The Manufacture gets in there new Dye order and continues to dye there fabric for resale. doesn't ever notice any color differance (PROBUBLY NEVER CHECK) due to the mass production.
7) Suppliers recive this newly dyed fabric, do they always check to see if it matches there sample NO. Who would think...
8) It's now passed to the vendors and onto the customer. THE SAD PART IS IT'S THE LAST PERSON WHO SOLD IT WHO LOSSES REPUTATION OR MONEY!!

I'm not defending at all, I just know from experiance on how buisness's get there products and how manufactures/ suppliers work to provide those products.

When dealing in leather the colors & Grain can vary quite a bit, when you deal with fabrics and Dye things do vary. Thats part of it in the upholstery field.

Hope things work out for you..

SW.

Yes, all about color. Headliner=Appearance item=color. Again, spend good money expect an equal advertised quality product. Call me crazy.

It's the ABS headliner, not just the material. I would have went to my local shop if I was just going to recover. Don't want to do it again in a few years as I have read that others had to do, even Brian himself stated this in a thread. This helped drive my decision. Do it once and do it right, thats why I spent my hard earned money to have it RIGHT.

I understand some of your points but this is where quality control comes in. I am well aware of manufacturing processes and color drift in products, as stated I work with it on a daily basis. This is why manufacturers have masters and any good company controls their quality by conducting periodical checks to make sure they are still in tolerance. I would hope a company like Acme that supplies an appearance item like auto upholstery has such quality control.

The sample I got was a recent piece from their current material. I did this purposely because the local upholstery shop that has been in business for 45 years and noticed right away that the material color was wrong, had shown me the correct stuff (#1810) from a Acme sample book they had. This was one of the excuses I got that the sample book was old. Proved that excuse wrong, and also the famous fading one because the material color under my visor sticker was the same.
You have to see this, its light gray compared to the original blueish gray that are in all GN's and T-types.

Thanks to those who understand where I'm coming from and my frustration.

This is a feedback forum. Both positive and negative should be allowed. If I have a bad experience with a product, I should just send it back and shut up, but if all went well, post about that? Just giving heads up to people looking for correct, not good enough. The seat covers I am talking about are not even close to matching. I do not expect a perfect match, but atleast a color that doesn't look out of place.

And notacarlo, that is a pretty classless reply. I know everybody holds gbodyparts up high, but they are just a vendor like any other. If he is going to sell products and have them drop shipped, he should stand behind them better.

You guys this is supposed to be between the OP and the person feedback is being left about...

If you have a problem start your own thread...

Alan I haven't been in much since my wife passed away. 12 years it takes more then 2 weeks to get your head back in the game.

I just opened & looked at your sample. The color you sent me doesn't look correct for an original GN it is too blue. The one we have is lighter then factory but no one produces a 100% dead on match. I have enough low mileage cars here with the correct color I can take pics of.The one we sent you is the same one we have sold 90 + of. I'm down to less then 5 left.The moon roof head liner is from the same batch I had to buy back in 06 when I developed this headliner to give Moon roof guys options.

Now I'm not sure what my employees said to you or didn't say. The headliners we are selling we use to buy pallets of. I'm stating 100 at a time so visors would match. #1810 Medium dark gray is what we always order.
When you get material from one batch & material from another any company will tell you they never match 100% lot from lot.

So what I'm telling you is the material we did all these headliners with back in 06 is the same one I have on my shelf. Acme will even state that we would be best off buying visors & headliners at the same time so they would match & that is what we did.

Now I was told you stated it should be Ox gray which would not be correct.
it is a dark charcoal type color.

forcefed3.8's the blue we have was from acme & that was the closest they could supply. We do have a new Blue on our site that I feel is lighter then the original but gives you the option. We had It developed 2 months ago.
Here is the link.
GBodyParts.com Online
If you really think this is an easy business laying out $ trying to get things developed for 25 year old cars have at it.
It has never really been about the $. It was the love of the cars & my family enjoying working together. Getting up everyday & wanting to go to work.

Right now I don't. It will probably be a long time before i do again. Joe who worked with us in Pa. is coming back to work for us. Hopefully this will help get ME back on track. Anyone who owns a business knows you can't baby sit an employee. Every one who has dealt with me enough knows we will work this out. I just need a little time to get my head back in the game. If you want e-mail me your #. I still have to investigate wether they drop shipped 1 from acme or sent what we had here in stock.

Hey Brian, thanks for getting back on this. Hope you are doing as good as possible at this time, can't imagine how tough it is. I tried to deal with others at your company but was pretty hot, as you probably could tell, after the responses I got. I understand completely about the employee thing. I'll leave that in the past and go forward from here.
The facts I listed are correct though. Not looking for 100% match, I understand this is not possible but this light gray color is not close at all in my opinion. My car is an '86 T-type with the same code 82 Med Dk gray that the GN's came with. I matched mine up with two other low mileage GN's in my area just to make sure mine wasn't some freak.:D My car has around 80,000 miles on it, owned since new and garage kept all its life. I always try to go out of my way to make sure I have all the information before I start taking a stance on something. Everything that I have seen with my own eyes out there from my friends cars, the local interior shop, and the #1810 Acme samples obtained show at least a 95% match (some blue to it and darker). The headliner material you sent is maybe a 75-80% if you ask me. Looks like the current light gray material in my GMC.
Really not trying to be a pain in the arse, just want the closest thing to original out there and what appears to be available.
Are you sure the moonroof headliner you sent me was from Acme, Eric stated that you use a different manufacturer at times? You said something about dropped shipped before when I asked but this headliner was packed with the rest of the stuff I ordered. Unless it was dropped shipped to you first and then sent to me?
Never thought it should be Ox gray color. I thought maybe the one I was sent is this color since you list it on your website and in person looks like what is in the attached picture listed as Ox gray #1808. That is how far the difference appears in person between my original and the one you sent; #1810 to #1808. Just as you can see with the samples I sent you from both.
I'll send an email with my number. Thanks again for your time on this.

Attachments

• Foamback_Headlining_Material.JPG
    Foamback_Headlining_Material.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 361
Scot W, it's clear you're a vendor that has an agenda to keep complaints down. Did the OP's situation not happen or are you trying to kill every RELEVANT post that starts in the FEEDBACK FORUM?

OP, I get where you're coming from, the next best thing to do now is help Bweavy with what you found out so that maybe he'll switch over to your find of a closer color. From your last post, it looks like you're doing that. ;)

headliner

Any time a part is ordered from any company, the product must be inspected by the receiver. If a problem occurs with the product, something must be done to rectify the problem. In this specific case, the problem should have been addressed in another manner. Contacting the company, having patience, and not bashing the supplier is the proper route.

The situation will be rectified, as always.

Special circumstances require special handling. Please be patient.

One option they gave me was to send it back AT MY EXPENSE and they would get me the correct color headliner (which confirms they know its available) shipped back to me AT MY EXPENSE. Wow, what a great deal! My other option is to send them back the original headliner they sent me AT MY EXPENSE again and they will refund the cost of the headliner. So if I do this I will be out the initial shipping cost, return shipping cost, and still no headliner. GREAT CUSTOMER CARE GBODYPARTS. THANKS!!!!!:mad:

He did contact them

Scot W, it's clear you're a vendor that has an agenda to keep complaints down. Did the OP's situation not happen or are you trying to kill every RELEVANT post that starts in the FEEDBACK FORUM?

As a matter of fact what I and EVERY other vendor would like to see is TO TRY and KEEP THE "MINOR" COMPLAINTS DOWN" You know, The ones that could have been solved with a simple phone call to THE OWNER and a little patients. And in Brian's recent situation, Have a little understanding / patients.

What upsets me and (other vendors) is seeing such tiny little minute issues being boasted here without thought, With talking to employees only, without speaking to the owner, without any patients..

You see he talked to employee's and NOT Brian himself! If he would of had patients to wait and speak to Brian this would have been solved in the exact same manner it was tonight and without the public humiliation. and either way I'm sure Brian will address this color issue.

Thats why I post...;)

SW.