Gets kinda lonely sometimes.....

Johnnie

Well, I'm sitting in my chair ar a local cruise in amongst approx 200 cars of all types. There's super bees, super birds. Chevelle of all types, corvettes, studebakers, a Henry j, fords from the 20s'thru new, pickups of all sizes and shapes, 2 lambos, a lotus, a ford, a plethora of tri-5's a 66 Bonnie 421 soft top, Harley's ,even an old Pontiac ambulance ...... Well you get the picture.

Alas,.......*sigh*..... I am the ONLY turbo Buick.....

Our Turbo Regals don't stand out as well as the Muscle Cars, Hot-Rods & Sports Cars.

I'm just pleased when someone recognizes my car as a Buick instead of a Monte Carlo.

To be honest, what you just highlighted is one of my favorite things about our cars. I never see the at shows. If i do there is usually only one. When someone talks to me about my car, one of the first things they say is 'wow, I never see these anymore!'

That being said, being able to talk to other TB owners is always more fun. hehe

There are a few local TR's at some of the shows I go to. But they don't show up often.

But I make it a point to MEGA-REPRESENT our community! I used to get all the same comments you guys get. And sometimes I still do.

I have even heard the "why a V6?" comment a few times.

That's when I get to act confussed and tell them "I don't know. You should go around the lot and ask the other v8, v10, and v12 owners who's got the fastest car here. Let me know what they tell you."

A big *AMEN* !!!!! to that, my brothers and sisters! Standing proud, indeed , my friends. Even though there was some pretty rare and pricey iron there, my little stock GN definitely draws her fair share of attention . Kind of interesting, but it seems the twenty-somethings are appearing to get more and more interested. I read in another post, and I agree, that these "kids" grew up in the 80's not really being exposed to late 60's / early 70's muscle , but instead grew up admiring what 80's muscle that was there at that time in their lives. Now , as they get older, they are wanting the cars they admired. I still find the "old timers" not really interested much and sticking with their likes, but that's ok. To each his own.
I frequently find myself enjoying answering a multitude of questions and trying to be a responsible ambassador for our TB community. Knowledge is a good thing.
For that reason, and just like was previously stated, I make it a point on my Friday evenings to attend this event to showcase what awesome beasts we enjoy. Sometimes I will wander off and look at the other cars. I will come back and , looking like just another admirer and not the owner, will enjoy listening to some of the comments. One fellow said to his friend, " Gee, I wonder who the owner is?" I said , quite proudly and politely I may add, "Me!"

I met a fellow TB enthusiast (GN 87Mike) yesterday. One heluva nice guy and has an absolutely gorgeous , wicked GN. Myself, growing up in the 60's and 70's and doing my fair share of drag racing in my BB chevelle, I am blown away by a car capable of mid 10 second 1/4 mile passes and yet drive able on the street. (My chevelle was not really all that drive able.) Of note, I tell the folks that ask me questions about performance, what some of these cars are really capable of, WITHOUT a "bottle". One guy I talked to had a trick 440 super bee and laughed , saying , albeit politely, "no way!" I told him to google it and let the videos prove what I was saying.
I am hoping that as the spring and summer progress, that my car will be parked next to one of her siblings or cousins. One can hope.
By the way, this community *rocks*.

Our cars have got to be one of the most misunderstood , but well known cars out there . I rarely see other TB's at car shows , but it seems it gets a lot of attention with people asking tons of questions . Last show I was at , my buddy who has a 458 Ferrari Italia was telling everyone looking at his car how bad ass mine was !! He loves the Turbo Buicks and still can't get over how quick they are .

For me , I am surprised at some of the interest from the younger crowd ( teenagers/low-mid 20's ) at cruises/car shows that are aware at what a TB is , but most do recognize a GN faster than a T-type . When I have the GNX out , most know what it is to , and almost without fail , everyone asks if it is real , and at least a few look under the back of the car to check out the rear .

I get the, " I don't see many of these anymore" every morning at Dunkin' Donuts in the parking lot. :cool:

Unfortunately it's usually followed by, " Does the turbo still work on it?" :eek:;):po_O

Usually 95% of the shows I go to I'm the only Buick also. If there is another Buick, it's usually a Boat Tail or a 60's Skylark/GS. Sometimes at cars and coffee there may be one or two GN's. There are others local too me, but if they aren't getting to race their cars they just don't bother with the show events. Most of the attention the cars get is from people in their 20's to say 40's, the older people couldn't care less and only look at the 60's muscle cars. Do get a lot of the same comments like "not many of those left" or "is that a Grand National" or "why did you paint a Grand National that color?".

Well, I'm sitting in my chair ar a local cruise in amongst approx 200 cars of all types. There's super bees, super birds. Chevelle of all types, corvettes, studebakers, a Henry j, fords from the 20s'thru new, pickups of all sizes and shapes, 2 lambos, a lotus, a ford, a plethora of tri-5's a 66 Bonnie 421 soft top, Harley's ,even an old Pontiac ambulance ...... Well you get the picture.

Alas,.......*sigh*..... I am the ONLY turbo Buick.....
Yes I have been that guy lots of times and I love it. My local cruise is quite big , 1000 cars on a good night and its awesome having the only gs or gn. Usually there are 4 or more gns but usually I have the only gs of any kind. I get lots of "is it a real gs" and "is it really a 455" and i am glad to tell them of course it is. The gn always gets" wasn't it the fastest production car that beat the vette. " Yup. Love being the lonely buick guy. I love the reactions when I tell them the little v6 kicks the big blocks ass on the street. Yup the gn definitely gets all kinds of respect.

This past Sunday at Captree this nice looking GN is rolling past me with the windows down and at that moment i point at the car and yell at my friend (which owns a badass GN) "LOOK A MONTE CARLO" My friend started lol and the guy in the GN looked at me and just smiled -- I think he knew it was joking.
Seriously -- Calling a GN a Monte Carlo never gets old.

Thats almost got me arrested! Was going to a local air reserve base for bowling night and the guard at the gate started giving me crap about coming into the gate too fast and then refers to the gn as a Monte and I made the mistake of correcting him and he got total attitude and I instantly realized I was. Arguing with a guard with a automatic weapon on his shoulder and I was not getting on base unless I wised up fast and apologized for questioning him and for everything he said I did. I was lucky he chilled out because he was seriously getting pissed and I almost got pulled out of the car and searched. Never forget his reaction when he said you think your a hot shot in that monte, I said its a buick not a Monte. He got totally irate after that and I knew I crossed the line. I did some serious groveling to clean up that mess and get through the gate that night. Lesson learned. Civilians should Never argue with a airmen with an automatic weapon on his shoulder.