GNX #009 For Sale

Gnx

Talked to the owner and he is doin it on a first call basis meaning if you called first and you can get him the mullah you will own it. He has a guy now supposed to wire him the money in the mornin and if he does not receive the wire money its up for grab. He sounds legit and not very familiar with GNX he also said the car is for real, no dents nor accidents, and has 29K miles on it. Whoever that first caller is a lucky next GNX owner.

I spoke with him myself also. He told me car has 34k miles on it? Said he has owned it for ~10 yrs and it has had one repaint (he had it done).

He sounded very honest and upfront about the car. Sounds like a nice car at a great price.

Said GNX turbo, suspension, McClaren sticker on door, etc all still in tact. He also said he has the information on the original owner.

If only my credit card limit was that high. :biggrin: I'd be on my way up there. Now if he took a trade :cool: Anyone need a truck?

Gnx????

I talked with the guy and he is very nice and straight forward about the car. There are some things that don't match, or I would drive there in a second. The tag in the door is for 15 inch wheels, the body tag under the hood dosen't have GNX stamped in it, and the ac box dosen't have any ASC wrighting on it. He read these things over the phone to me so I not sure if he was miss reading the tags :confused: > If there is any one in the area that has seen the car pm me thanks.

Something amiss here (after my wife said get it) :mad: . Priced low and conflicting stories between the ad and the two board members above with the owner. I'd be nice also if I was gonna take someone for 15k over what a clean clone is worth. I'm passing on this one, might regret it later, better safe than sorry,30k is alot of money.

Price

Now he want's 35K and he doesn't have the book or the jacket to show proof of the car. I hope this is a real one but it just seems to fishy.

You know guys, a vin check would say a lot as to whether it is a real gnx or not. Other than that, it's just speculation. Just my opinion.... :)

?

I talked with him as well. The details of the repaint are alarming. Doors off etc?? Local shop repair to avoid Carfax??? The emissions sticker under the hood is incorrect according to our conversation. RED FLAG. I passed on it. The VIN just indicates GNX dash. The smaller stickers and details are very hard to transfer or fake effectively. Just mt .02

I also told him I was interested at his listed price. I was honest with him and told him if the car was all he said it was that his price was a bit on the low side compared to what others are selling for. That being said, I advised I was interested at his advertised price as that is what he had it for sale for.

He called today offering it to me for $35k... I guess his buyer from Cali fell through.

All in all, I didn't get any "bad feelings" from my conversation from him. But I'm also not bidding on a car on ebay. The car was advertised for $29500..

Folks, I was lucky caller number one. After talking to the owner (who IS extremely pleasant) over a two day period I passed on the car after seeing several pictures.

In my opinion the car is legit, however by the looks of it it's been run VERY hard and I just decided that I didn't want a resto. project. The owner faxed me a copy of the original sales receipt; VIN matched and car was listed as "Buick GNX". Strange however that it was purchased at a Lincoln Mercury dealer up in Illinois (matched CarFax mileage though). The evaporator box DOES have the ASC emissions sticker--can see it in a picture I had him send me; the rear suspension pictures show a very rough, dirty and rusty GNX factory set-up; the Maclaren door sticker is correct, however the 009 dash plate is very faded; CarFax matches the current owners somewhat "moving" history of where the car has been. The engine compartment is really unpresentable. Looks like the receiver dryer and AC lines have been replaced though the owner knew nothing about it. He didn't seem too concerned with the rarity of the car (just replaced the alternator and gave them the original as a core--ouch), however he is very honest about what he knows has been done to the car (bigger injectors, 2nd owner installed a 4.11 rear end; a/c converted to R134, "she burns a little oil) and he talked about how he races an '86 Turbo-T. Someone along the way looks like they had some real quarter mile fun--current owner said he's never run it in the quarter. You'll have to judge for yourself.

Dennis Kirban was kind enough to spend some time on the phone with me to discuss what to really be concerned about and ultimately I walked--although he's right, if the car is legit it's not going to lose value. I knew there was a gentleman in CA that was waiting for my decision--looks like he passed too based on what I read here.

Net/net, if your inclined to want a resto. project I think a cheap plane trip to the Memphis area will be money well spent. I decided I'd wait for the right car and pay bigger money, however this may very well be cheap entry into the elite 547.

bishir said:
Does anyone think the low number significantly affects the value of the car?

I thought the same thing, I remember reading somewhere that the cars numbered 10 and under went to Buick Execs.

bishir said:
Does anyone think the low number significantly affects the value of the car?
-----------------------------------------
FWIW & IMHO:I am not a GNX owner, nor have been, nor will be, but unless the # would be the first one in private possession, (#3, maybe), or the very last one (547), or #33, (the only astroroof owned & built for Heinz ?????, late Pres of ASC), I don't think that the 3 would have any finincial signifiance. If I was buying one that would even be driven a little, I would prefer a later one after they had their processes down pat & any bugs worked out. Something like between #300 through #500 would suit me ideally. I think that anything after #500 and they might have been rushing to get them completed. Just my thoughts on a very subjective subject.

There was a GNX sitting in the used car showroom in a Lincoln Mercury dealership in Westmont, Illinois for a very long time. I believe they wanted 35k for it along time ago. I do not know if it is the same car or not but I remember it having low miles on it.

The bill of sale is from Terry's Lincoln Mercury, Orland Park, IL.. Sold on 9/4/87 with 168 miles on the clock. Selling price was $29,292 (full sticker).

Did the man say anything about the car being in Alabama?About two years ago there was a theft recovered GNX with low miles for sale here.If he still has it next week I will go and look at it.I was there today but I didn't see this until I was home.

No, nothing about Alabama. The car went from Illinois, to Arkansas (where it saw the rear end changed, bigger injectors), then the last 11 years in TN. I should also mention that the car no longer has a cat. converter and is equipped with an older flowmaster exhaust and Hypertech computer mod. That about exhausts my notes guys. Contact the owner at the number listed in the CCTOL.com or Autotrader ads and he'll be happy to talk to you--I suspect someone may have already taken the plunge on this one.