Gnx X-ray

More white

Actually when reviewed prior to its transformation, I looked at the grille and thought if I painted the grille you would see all the black from behind the grille ,the radiator , my nice trans cooling brackets …..And I did not think that was what I wanted:confused: . So no white grille… no white headlamp bezels. :biggrin: Regards Rick

Rick-You sent me some pics(ASC assembly line)....I hope these aren't the ones that were never returned? I don't recall you asking for them back. I do still have them,although my GNX is gone. I gave copies to the new owner. If you want them back,just let me know and they're yours AGAIN. I will always keep the magazine you gave me -THANKS! I don't visit here much anymore...interests have changed. I'm trying to get 60 mpg out of a Geo Metro. 8 more years till retirement & I'll have a new toy-looking hard at a Ford GT. I still stay in touch with Richard a couple of times a year & see him as well. Went on a 25th anniversary cruise last year during the Nats. Sarah is married and pregnant-due in August and living in Fla. Let me know if you need the pics back. Stay in touch.
GENE

that is one beautiful car. only hope that when i get my turbo buick i will look half as good as yours does. dave

Rick-You sent me some pics(ASC assembly line)....I hope these aren't the ones that were never returned? I don't recall you asking for them back. I do still have them,although my GNX is gone. I gave copies to the new owner. If you want them back,just let me know and they're yours AGAIN. I will always keep the magazine you gave me -THANKS! I don't visit here much anymore...interests have changed. I'm trying to get 60 mpg out of a Geo Metro. 8 more years till retirement & I'll have a new toy-looking hard at a Ford GT. I still stay in touch with Richard a couple of times a year & see him as well. Went on a 25th anniversary cruise last year during the Nats. Sarah is married and pregnant-due in August and living in Fla. Let me know if you need the pics back. Stay in touch.
GENE

Hi Gene, No these are not the pictures but I would like them back to make sure I have not lost any of mine. I will send them back. I gave you the second set that I hade made when the developing was done. Don’t you wish you still had you car? The Ford GT is nice we have one at my work getting up fitted. I will PM you. I plan on putting these pictures on the other thread in the future. Regard:biggrin:

Rick-I'll get them in the mail to you over the weekend. As far as having the GNX back....it would be worth more now,but really I did everything I could with it except drive & that would have depreciated it. If I can't find your address(I believe I know where it is)I'll get back to you for it. Thanks
GENE

This is to show you how I made the X Ray badge. First I had to figure out the font type of text that was used in creating the GNX badges. When that was done I needed to create the proper size and crisp lines needed. I used velum over an oversized X Ray text so I could add the tape to clean up the lines. Then I resized the test to be the same as the GNX emblem. I then took this design to get acid etched. The acid etch process takes your design and etches it into magnesium. The different depths are determined by the amount of time you leave it in the acid. I made two parts in case I made a mistake in cutting it out. After I cut it out I painted it and then added the tape a put it on the car. In total I probably have 40 hours into making this badge. :D

Attachments

• badge 1WTMK.JPG
    badge 1WTMK.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,569
  • badge 2WTMK.JPG
    badge 2WTMK.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,565
  • badge 3WTMK.JPG
    badge 3WTMK.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 1,573
  • badge 4WTMK.JPG
    badge 4WTMK.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,554
I always thought it was a cool car, still do. The white lower air dams being painted scarred me for chipping, and scratching issues....did that ever happen? Also seeing the turn signal bezels on the front bumper being white, and the headlight bezels being blk always made me scratch my head. I am glad there was blk in places, keeps it from looking like a blind man painted it.

I have never had problems with the paint chipping on the lower air dam. I used adhesion promoter prior to painting and it work out well :) . Speaking about painting the bumpers and the turn signal bezel were chromed originally :eek: on my car ….I prepped the chrome parts using a Sikkens material for etching the chrome prior to painting. That worked better than I even expected. I did also use Sikkens paint on the chrome parts.:biggrin: Regards Rick

I will post new pictures when I get back form my trip to Norwalk.:D

Rick-Finally found your address & sent your pics tuesday with USPS & delivery confirmation. Let me know(PM) when you get them. Sorry for the delay. I need to talk to you about some things. Thanks
GENE ROSS

Ever seen a white GNX Grand National Buick?

I think I have.....:D

(I will post pictures from Norwalk, hopefully later tonight.)

Regards Rick

Pictures of the car at Norwalk shown with the very rare ASC sun shade, and two GNX's that also showed up at the show #250 and #447. It was a great time....:biggrin:

Attachments

• x ray 10.jpg
    x ray 10.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,343
  • x ray 11.JPG
    x ray 11.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,340
  • x ray 12 .jpg
    x ray 12 .jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,341
  • x ray 13.jpg
    x ray 13.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,328
  • gnx.jpg
    gnx.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,330
I used expanded metal and glued it to the back of the retention ring. I also cut the back of the headlamp buckets to let more air into the engine compartment. I will add some close up pictures tomorrow.:D PS. I have the original parts.

Cool stuff!
Being how simple a mod that is, I would've thought most modded turbobuicks out there would have done that by now. I see the drivers "bright" headlight being used as intake once in awhile, but I would think using both for helping underhood airflow would be a very good idea.