group leather seat cover purchase?

Originally posted by GMV6TURBOPOWER
a few updates carmotorsports doesn't even have the material anymore and they didn't really seem to want to get involved unless we had more than 20 people. he also said there was only 50/50 shot at them getting the material .they also said the hides were $800 each each car requires 2 hides 1 for front 1 for rear so they have $1600 just in materials before they even make them into seat covers. so with that said jax is willing to offer a discount not a real lot it all depends on how many people we can get on board. they were talking something like 3 people front and rears a $90 discount i think 5-10 a $150 discount and so on. they also said if people only needed the fronts we can do something there too!!! if any of you guys can help out by throwing up a post or link on any tta website a buick website with the tta's or a pontiac or even just a third gen website i'm sure we can get covers made up in more colors than beechwood. all the help i can get will be appreciated thanks james 203 605 4704

Sounds good with Jax.. I hear their leather is real nice and way better then stock! I'll post around on some TTA boards.. I think if we could get a nice little group that discount would rock! Mine are in great shape but I know one day they won't be. And by then Jax might not do them anymore! So hopefully we can make this come to life! :)

GMV6TURBOPOWER: are you in contact with Jax's? I just posted on 3 other boards including a GTA board. Hopefully we get a good amount and good discount! :)

I need front and back.
I'll put off on ordering them until we see where we are with the group purchase.

the size of the discount will totally depend on the amount of people we can get on board. i know i need a full set myself and have a problem with $1800 seatcovers. and i fear just like you guys one day these won't be available especially since carmotorsports says it's only a 50/50 shot whether or not they can even get the material from their source. i know a few years ago there were reproduction 71 gto seat covers everywhere and then the factory that made the material burned to the ground and eventually the allready made covers dried up and kinda became priceless because nobody else in the world was able exactly reproduce the material the same and even today they have to restamp 70 gto covers to try to get the grain. the point here is there is a limited market for these covers and we better grab them while we still can.

Just an FYI, a few years ago I found some NOS rear seats.
I heard back from them today that they have a 'few' sets left.
Once I get the lowdown this may be the way to go for the few of us who need rears (they were a quite a bit cheaper than JAX's rear covers) that way we can get everyone on board for the fronts and we can just buy new backs from the other place.I'll post details when I have it.

I cant afford to do the fronts at this time..

If someone can actually get rear seats/seat covers I would be interested..

I have also seen the Jax seat covers and was impressed at how nice they were.

later
Jeremy

I'm working with Denise over at Jax's now.. I just asked her about just the drivers side. Here are some prices so far...

Front & Rear TTA Leather 1-2 sets $1790.00 each set
3-4 sets $1700.00 each set
5 & Up sets $1640.00 each set

Front Only TTA Leather 1-2 sets $895.00 each set
3-4 sets $850.00 each set
5 & up sets $820.00 each set

i know we don't have any choices but i will update you on my install.

i dropped off the seats and covers tonight - should have them back in a week.

- 2 small details with the covers... on the bottom seat covers - the stitches were falling out. it's like they didn't tie the ends.

- one of the seams was not sewn straight. once they are on the seat i'm sure it will be obvious that the stitches are wavy compared to the straight seam.

overall the quality looked pretty good though. i guess for the price (compared to the other vendor) they came out pretty good. both shops that i took the covers to were overall impressed with the quality even though none of them had heard of jax.

also note - the side bolsters (the plastic, wavy sides of the seat back) need to be reused. the seat covers are sewn to the plastic! obviously - plastic with holes sewn into it is not strong. when you sew into it again - you make more holes making it less strong. i hear many stock seats tear at this location - obviously this is going to be a tough spot when re-uphostering the seats. i could not find a vendor that sells replacement bolsters. my guy tells me he will make the decision once he gets the seats apart - he said my plastic looks really good and is still soft which is good. we are debating cutting the orignal cover next to the bolster - and sewing the new cover to it instead of the plastic.

i'll post pics and all the details when i get the seats back (~1 week from today as long as no problems pop up).

Denise e-mailed me back and the fronts are only sold in pairs! I guess your better off. I'm sure it would be noticable to have the crap factory leather on one seat and the new Jax leather on the other. Even tho it's better leather I'm sure the color is'nt dead dead on.. Damn why did Pontiac have to cheapen the leather up in a car that costs 32K I would have been out of my mind if I bought one new and the leather went to hell that quick!

any updates?
it looks like I have two or three NOS rear seat sets lined up so I'm ready to buy fronts whenever this happens.

Originally posted by Metal
any updates?
it looks like I have two or three NOS rear seat sets lined up so I'm ready to buy fronts whenever this happens.

Are these the complete seats or just the Seat backs and are they GM New Old Stock? I recall some one out of Texas who was selling these a few years ago. Is this the same vendor?

Thanks,
Dave

Originally posted by davege
Are these the complete seats or just the Seat backs and are they GM New Old Stock? I recall some one out of Texas who was selling these a few years ago. Is this the same vendor?

Thanks,
Dave

these are just the NOS seat backs, I think we are talking about the same guy.

quick update - picked up the seats this morning. $500 for installation. the covers will work - but i was expecting a little better. the worst thing is all the stitching. the passenger seat looks ok, the driver seat the stiching is all wavy compared to the seams.

however the installation place is using my old covers and are going to see what price they can come up with to make repro covers. they will be exact duplicates of the originals. i've seen some of the custom work these guys have done and they do good work.

once i get some more pics and get the back in the car i'll post up a thread showing all about these jax covers.