Hard Brake Pedal

MARKO

I've notice lately on my 86 GN 80000 miles that my brake pedal
will get really hard and the car is hard to stop. Then it seems
to be fine for a while. I'm assuming it has to do with the booster.
I'm just curious as to replace it with one from Kirban, get a
rebuild kit or change it over to a vacuum system? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

time out

:eek: PARK IT! Your power master is on the outs. A dangerous situatuion. I replaced my unit with a new one for show. A rebuilt from Jack Cotton is a less expensive option. Do not drive it untill it is replaced or repaired. Go to www.rennie-macintosh.com the turbo regal web site for tons of info on powermasters. Mine did the same thing, turned out it was the switch. :rolleyes:

It is probably your accumulator. Check to see if it has been changed. If it has then your accumulator will have large yellow circle around the circumference. Your accumulator is located on the drivers side of the master cylinder w/ a diameter of about 2 inches and nut in the middle of it. The GM part# is 18038507. Also check your fluid level when the brakes are depressureized by pumping the brake about 10 time with the car turned off. Make sure there is enough.

zoned out

:mad: Today I checked autozone.com the were $348 plus $61 core plus shipping $18 = $427. Just sold a nice rebuilt for $200 :rolleyes: :mad:

Which means vacuum is fast becoming the way to go. I think the price will go down in the future however because Cardone must have a huge pile of broken Powermasters that need to be remanufactured. It is a closed system -- one in, one out, so I think they just need to catchup.

Does anyone have the part number for the updated switch?
Mine is the grey one and I think the updated one is black.
I tried calling the dealer and they had no clue.

I can shoot you the part number tomorrow, but be aware-these suckers aren't cheap