Harness Removal

v6turboman

I'm completely removing the harness. I've got everything but where it goes throw the firewall and connects to the ECM. Do I need to remove the heater core to get wires out? I see the grommet on the inside, but can't really
get to it from under the hood.

I am about to swap out a good used harness for a butchered one and just got a look at the job this evening.

It looks as if there are two ways to get the ECM wires and rubber firewall swapped.

1. Take the entire blower and heating core assembly off of the firewall, make the swap, then put it all back.
2. Jack up the front end, remove the tire/wheel and the inner wheel well (having removed all of the stuff that's screwed onto it), make the swap, then put it all back.

I am delving into the electrical troubleshooting realm which is where my knowledge is smallest. Give me intake, heads, breaks, etc. and I can wrench away, no problem. All them dang WIRES, though, lol!

Anyway, I'm leaning toward the jack it up and go through the wheel well method, because there is something else I need to fix and that's the, take a wild guess, power antenna mast and motor. Two birds, etc.

Anyway, I said all that to say this: let's keep this thread up to date with our individual projects and maybe we can help the next gearhead who needs to do it, what do you think?

Weather is forecast for rain for the rest of the month, but the project can't wait.

I got a 16' x 20' heavy duty tarp, some #8 galvanized hooks, screwed the hooks into the 2x12 trim board at the top of the garage, and set it up over the car at the top of the driveway.

I'm going to get under there and get this done, come hell or high water...the latter being the most likely to occur, lol!

Ok, so here is why it's best to pull the inner fender and go in behind it.

20160421_190239.jpg 20160421_190213.jpg

That bracket secures the harness that connects to the ECM and etc. through the firewall.

Those are 7mm screws.