Headgasket advice.

Tony sy2356

Hey all, I spent some time searching for an answer to my questions, but I didn't find anything very clear one way or another.

Story time first.

A few years ago I built a GN up for a friend of mine, he recived it as a basket case in many many boxes. The long and the short of it was we rebuilt the car from a hacked up psuedo racecar back to a decent street car. I never had a chance to work out the bugs in the car ( powermaster, fuel system ) before he sold the car to another guy. The new owner has had all the odds and ends sorted out by another freind of mine, I was just too busy to look at it for him.

The other day I got a call from the owner and from what he described it sounds like he pushed a head gasket, it's getting towed over tommorow and I can check for myself then.

The engine is a stock 109 block, crank and rods. TRW pistons, 218/218 cam, ATR headers d/p and w/g. T72 p trim .85 turbo, FAST, etc.

The heads are champion ported irons with reciver grooves milled in and it was running 1007 felpro gaskets.

Now for question time.

I called to order some gaskets from a friend of mine and he strongly suggested to not try another set of the 1007's. He has had nothing but problems with them. After spending a few hours here searching about the 1007's and others I'm really not to sure what to think. Some guys seem to like them and others not so much.

The car was making good power and living with the 1007's, from what I gather the owner took the car out for a ride and forgot to turn the tcc lockup speed up. I'm thinking that he lugged it really bad going into 3rd and lifted a head.

The car had a really safe tune in it 20 degrees of timing 11-1 afr 21 psi and razors alky kit. It was making 490hp/540tq at the wheels on the chassis dyno just last week.

I'm assuming the reciver grooves are milled correctly, the heads came from Cal Hartline I believe, they were on his personal car once upon a time.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to explain the situation.

----cliffnotes---
using 1007 gaskets, lifted a head due to driver error, should I try them again or get the grooves machined off and try some cometics?

Thanks in advance.

Tony