Heads Up Shootout !!!!

qwknuf6

100% STREET CAR
7th annual Buick vrs. Ford run what you brung Shootout in three weeks . This event is really unique in the fact that everyone gets a chance to race from mild to wild . Over 200 cars expected ,7 second Buicks and Fords will be there along with stockers and everything in between. This is a team event and the rules are simple ,each car makes qualifing runs and is paired up with the corrasponding quailifier from the other team ,the slowest pair races first and work the way thru the field until the two fastest cars are left , each race is worth 1 point ,the amount of races is detemined by the number on each team ,100 buicks and 125 fords means, 100 races .***Free ** entry if you are from out of state ,(plenty come from out of state). The race is Oct. 27 (Sat) qualifing starts in the morning . the track is in noble Oklahoma just outside of Oklahoma city ,OK .e-mail me if you have any?'s .BTW this is a tie breaker, its 3 wins for the Fords and 3 wins for the Buicks so come help break the tie!!!

event

damn!
can someone take a video and send it to me? :D

road trip

wanna split the gas? lol....let me know and i'll go. later....

Getting ready for Noble on the 10/27/01:D

Attachments

• pa190006.jpg
    pa190006.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 154
I'm still waiting on parts, but I'll be ready next weekend.

Attachments

• mvc-008f.jpg
    mvc-008f.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 132
my stage 2 is running !

well I just might make the shootout this year . drove my car a few miled today . see ya'll in Noble

What Race Gas will be available at the track and how much?

(just keeping this on top)

I had a great time at Noble,OK. for the shootout!
The Ford guys won so they have bragging rights for the year!
My car ran it best at 12.28 at 111.70 with a 1.92 60':(
I think it has a little left in it!
I raced a Mustang and trailered him up with ease! 1 point for the Buick team!:cool:

Reposted from the big list.

Just rolled in from a tiring weekend up in Noble, Oklahoma. For the uninformed, the Oklahoma GSCA chapter puts on an awesome shootout once a year and this year was no exception. The Hillybilly Racing Team (Scott Winsett, myself and Corey Day) got a late start on Friday as we were planning to head up and do some early testing to see how the track was and make sure the car was okay. We rolled into the track about 8:30 and unloaded the car.

After a quick check over, we headed up to the starting line to make a pass. In passing we met up with Bob Peterson who made the trek down from Minnesota (THATS how good this race is), Lawrence and Janace Conley, Neil White and some of the other guys letting us know that the track wasn't all that. I decided to back the chip in the two step back down to 4800 to be on the safe side. We had put some new rubber on the car so I was really anxious to see how the car was going to do. After what seemed like an 1/8th mile burnout, Scott staged the car and left with the wheels up and clicked off an 8.52 @ 162 with a 1.32 60 foot.

After a cool down period, we decided to try a higher chip in the two step and we encountered some sort of anomaly that caused the car to jump into neutral off the starting line. Personally I'm confident it was some sort of driver malfunction but I'm having a hard time selling that to Scott.

At this point, we called it a night and headed to what has to be the crappiest Ramada Inn I have ever seen. There was a $29.00 Thunderbird Inn across the street that I think would have been nicer than this ****hole but I degrees. Let me get back to racing.

Next morning we load up and roll back to the track. After teching in, Scott notices some water coming from the front cover. A quick investigation revealed that the rubber cap blocking one of the heater hose outlets was leaking. After looking at multiple ways to rig it, I gave up. Fortunately, Will "Parts Car" Wheeler made the save once again for us and let us pull one off his car since he had blown a gasket earlier in the day. For those that missed the last Buick Vs Ford deal in Ennis, Texas, we lost a timing cover bolt and Will let us pull one out of his engine so we could make the finals.

We waited until about 11:30 to let the track get some heat in it. Temperature was probably somewhere in the high 50s/low 60s so it was really good racing weather. We headed up to make a pass and after another crowd pleasing 1/8th mile burnout, cracked off an 8.40 @ 163.8 with a 1.28 60 foot. At this point this put us the #2 qualifier behind John Schmidt with the twin turbo Opel who made the track down all the way from Ohio (THATS HOW GOOD THIS RACE IS) and since he qualified with a 7.96, we knew it was out of reach so we went back to the pits and waited to see if anyone went faster than we did.

Bob Peterson ran an 8.59 I believe and Conley had a customer's twin turbo car there which was running some high 8s I believe but ended up bowing out early due to some valvetrain problems. This pretty much locked us at #2 and we waited for the pairing to be announced.

As usual, they ran the slowest cars first and worked up to the faster cars. The race is single elimination match race style. Basically they pair you up and whoever wins gets a point for their team. Well, by the time they got down to the top 10 fastest cars, the Mustangs had a lock on the win so the last races were just for pride. When we finally found out who we were matched up against, it turned out to be our old "friends" with the twin turbo silver LX that was raced in Ennis earlier this year. If you recall, they won the race but we were about a half a second faster and were just running to see what the best ET we could get was. Well, not this time. This time it was personal.

Scott does another long burnout and while Corey is backing him up, I told the starter, "Look, these are both turbo cars. Can you hold the tree a second or two to give everyone time to get on the two steps?" He agreed to do it so I knew we were going to have a race on our hands. Both cars go in and stage and get up on the two steps. The tree comes down and the Mustang redlights. Scott redlights and takes off after him. While I couldn't tell from my vantage point how big the lead was apparently it was pretty good by the top end because Scott started pedaling the Mustang about 900 feet down. You can hear on the video that he was in and out of the throttle 3 times before the finish line. We just wanted to make sure those guys knew what Buick power was all about. Scott crossed the line at a pedaled 8.53 @ 160 to a losing 8.66 @ 162. I'm sure this isn't the last we've heard of these guys.

All in all it was a great race. The event is run top notch, the track personnel are very friendly and very cooperative and the facilities are pretty decent as well. Speaking with the Oklahoma club guys, I'm really trying to convince them to make this a 2 day event next year with a Buick only fun/time trial day and a Ford vs Buick day. All of you out of state people who would be willing to make the drive for a 2 day Buick event in Oklahoma should let one of their club guys know to help persuade them :)

Great time seeing old friends and watching an awesome race even if the Buicks lost. There was a rumor circulating through the Ford camp that the slower Fords were told to stay home so that the Fords would have an advantage. There were something like 70 Buicks and 40 Fords and most of them were pretty fast. There was also sandbagging a'plenty in the Ford camp but that's about par for the course.

Fun time, though. I can't wait until next year!

That silver J&L coupe has only been running for two months or so... give him some time and he will get the hang of it!!

Ouch. Got pounded on the downloads... may work best to try back later if its too slow.

Shawn