Help me pick out a Turbo while the wife still lets me buy one!

bishir

Serenity Now
Well, my turbo is blowing oil so it's probably time to pony up for another. I just go permission to buy one and I want to see what you're suggestions are for my application. Let me tell you my mods and how I drive my car:

Car: Currently is a daily driver.

Mods: Exhaust, SMC Kit, 40# Injectors (good deal), Adjustable reg + Walbro 340 w/hotwire, powerplate, and Big Mouth Cold Air Intake.
STOCK TURBO and INTERCOOLER at the moment.

I'd like to buy a downpipe at the same time I buy the turbo too. So any deals on both would be nice.....

My Goals: I'd like to get in the low 7s in the 1/8 mile and retain most of the streetablity of the turbo. I've read on here that the TE-44 and TA-49 are awesome street turbos and I'm considering one of them, but I'm open to all suggestions. Trans was recently rebuilt with a stock D5 Converter, but in another year or so that could change. I'd like to do the Dutt neck, but might save up for a bigger intercooler anyways...

Thanks for taking your time to read and help,

James

PS, I said I'd never mod this car when I bought it.... how quickly things change in a year... :cool:

A 49 would be just fine for you, and you wouldn't have to change any of your intake plumbing, which you might have to do if you went with a TE style turbo. If I remember correctly I think PTE gives you a deal if you buy a turbo and a THDP at the same time. Can't remember for sure though, so you'll have to call them yourself.

I agree, TA49. Spend some time getting that sucker dialed in and I don't think you'll be disappointed. You may run out of injector tho if you max it out..
:cool:

The car is pretty much dialed-in with low 8s in street trim and poor 60fts. (2.0 best :( )

I'll try to contact PTE, thanks!

Also, I'm guessing I should upgrade to a better oil feed line and drain. Who sells these or will they come with a new turbo?

Thanks,

James

The braided lines are very nice and the drain one is a pain to install. Much easier with the turbo out of the way however. :)

Get some studs for the drain tube fitting too.

M8 on both ends about 40mm long. Makes the reinstallation of the drain fitting easier.

Thanks.. it's looks like a TA-49 and a Terry Houston is in my future....

Correct me if I'm wrong but PTE has the lowest priced TA-49
and John's Engineering has the lowest priced THDP I could find. I'm still waiting to see if anyone offers a combo deal...

James

You see these specials from Mike at Full Throttle?

Might be worth checking into.

I ordered my Extender chip and translator upgrade from him, good transaction. :)

Specials Limited Time
These are some short term specials

Terry Houston 3" Downpipe with your choice of dump pipe or cat
$399.99

Terry Houston 3.5" downpipe $489.99

57lb Seimens highZ injectors $49.99 ea

Buy any turbo and a set (6) of 55, 72, or 83lb Seimens injectors (at $59.99 each) and get a ECM upgrade to low Z drivers FREE! Save $129.99!

PTE frount mount intercooler $894.99

Mike Licht
Full Throttle Speed & Style
586 790 4406
mike@fullthrottlespeed.com
We will compete, give us a chance!

That sounds like a good deal and I'll probably buy the downpipe at that price especially if the testpipe has a dump. Is there another way to contact him? Does, he have a website? I'm at work now and I can't email.

Thanks,

James

JUST to push u in the direction...

The current price at Full throttle on the THDP is hands down the cheapest I have ever seen them.

Money is tight for me now but man what a deal. And Mike is a very honest guy !!

JUST to push u in the direction...

The current price at Full throttle on the THDP is hands down the cheapest I have ever seen them.

Money is tight for me now but man what a deal. And Mike is a very honest guy !! The TA 49 is a no doubt seat of the pants difference.. Get it and you will have perma smile when the boost spools..:D :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks, I'll definitely try to contact him then. Is there any other way to contact him other than email?

I guess my last question would be wether or not I need an HD actuator for the TA-49 or if my stock one would be enough...

Thanks,

James

I guess my last question would be wether or not I need an HD actuator for the TA-49 or if my stock one would be enough...

Thanks,

James [/B][/QUOTE]

I used my stock wastegate when I installed my TE-60. I later made it adjustable. It worked fine, but with age parts do deteriorate so a new one wouldn't be a bad idea. I plan on getting a heavy duty adj. wastegate when my car gets back together. My stocker has over 160k on it.:eek:

Thanks for the help. I'll just reuse my adjustable wastegate then. The TA-49 and THDP W/Dump was only 1019 from Mike at Full Throttle. Good deal IMO...

James