Help....My pump motor for brake system does not run and pedal is hard.

BUICKGNX

Hey guys.
I would really appreciate it if i got some feedback. I changed the pressure switch and accumulator. The fuses are ok but the pump does not turn on at all and the brake light is always on my gn. I tried last night to bleed the system from the booster side (2 nuts). Fluid with key off dripped out very little. Th pedal went down a little. How do i check if the pump motor is the problem. I have a multimeter that i bought at walmart but am not really sure on how to use it. How do i check the grounds?
This brake system is driving me crazy. Will bleeding the system cause the motor to run?

Input please guys..
Thank you kindly...

Michael:(

Hi,

Unfortunately, gnttype is down so getting the troubleshooting flowchart is going to b a problem. I did that and forgot to hook up the pump motor connector!

Voltmeter, always set it to DC volts (or maybe a solid line with a dotted line above or below) NOT THE WAVY LINE or AC volts. Use the 20 volt range or auto range.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY. I WOULD LIKE MORE FEEDBACK. HOW DO I CHANGE THE PUMP MOTOR? IS IT HARD? I WAS THINKING ABOUT SUCKING OUT THE OLD OIL IN THE RESERVOIR WITH A TURKEY BASTOR AND THEN CHANGE PUMP WITH A NEW ONE THAT I BOUGHT. WHAT PROCEDURE IS NEEDED TO DO THIS STEP?

PLEASE REPLY BACK

THANKS FELLOW BUICK MEMBERS
MICHAEL

Switch it to vacuum brakes and be done with it once and for all. You DO NOT want to be driving down the road and lose your braking capabilities!!!!

When gnttype.org comes back up, check on converting or buy a kit from Red Regal T on this board. It's not that hard to switch it over and you'll never have to worry about it again.

Stupid slugmasters.......:mad:

there is a contacter in the motor , i had 2 of them die. problem is you cant get to it. dude, just do yourself a favor and switch to vacuum brakes. its cheaper and you wont have to worry about that hard pedal out of the blue.:eek: plus it will save you money and headaches down the road. you could goto autozone and get a powermaster for cheap. i went through 2 of them in a year. go vacuum and be done.

Thanks for replying.
Does this mean that my pump motor is toast. When i plug in the connector into the relay, i hear a click but no motor turning on. How can i check with a multimeter? I bought a new pump motor. What now???? How do i change the pump motor?
Please let me know. This brake system is driving me insane.
:mad:

Thanks kindly

Michael:)

I don't know how to change the pump. It may be glued on there or bolted from the bottom? Either way you should be able to see how it attaches from looking at it.

BUT, I would save yourself the headache and get the Powermaster remanufactured unit. You've probably aready spent more than it costs to get the reman unit. I say you cut your losses, return the pump,and get a complete Powermaster unit with a warranty from Autozone.

I checked the autozone website today to get yet ANOTHER powermaster, 52-9702 part number gave me
Unit Price: $347.99
Core Value*: $61.00
Last time i got one (a year ago) it was $150 or so. Limited lifetime warrenty my ass, i might get one so i can replace it 5 or so times till I get a good one, then a year later go get another one.

I really dont want to convert to the vac just yet :p

Yeah the reman has shot up. Amazing. I bought one for under $150 about 6 months ago. It is now over $500 :eek:

Originally posted by MistaScott
Yeah the reman has shot up. Amazing. I bought one for under $150 about 6 months ago. It is now over $500 :eek:

I bought my car from a gentleman in texas and he said he just got a new one from autozone and it has a lifetime warrenty and if I needed a new one they would replace for free.

Well the autozone down here are idiots and it took over 2 weeks and 3 different powermasters to get one that would even prime and start working. They said I was installing it wrong and said they were not going to give me another if this one didn't work.

I'm going to rip it out when I put the vac setup on and tell them to shove it :D