Help on changing over to E85

onefastgn

I was just reading all the post about changing over to E85 and i was just wondering what the basic things i will need to do to change over to use E85. From what i gather i will need to change the fuel filter to a none paper filter and have Eric from TT convert my chip to a E85 chip. And it looks like i will have to mix the E85 with some 87 oct gas. I was thinking this would be better the going with the alky set up do to the fact that I'm not racing it all the time. Any advise would be great. The mods are in my sig. on the Turbo-T. I was looking to stay in the 11's with this combo. Thanks

Big fuel pump and inj. The only reason you would mix it with gas I would imagine is that your fuel system insn't large enough for straight e85.

The larger injectors and fuel pump and fuel filter for sure. How about a scan gauge, wideband O2 sensor, and E85 chip? Or, you could go with a vintage FAST system that will cover all the bases. I would also look at larger feed and return fuel lines if you get crazy with the injectors/pump.
Conrad

Well i just talked to Eric and it's pretty basic. Just change to an E85 chip and use only E85 straight. And if there is any knock then use the adjustments that are available in the chip to help tune it. No need to change a thing. My combo is good for mid 11's safely. I will post more info when i get it installed later this week. The way i see it is, it's going to be alot cheaper to run E85 and get the performance that i'm looking for without paying for race fuel or a alky system and never worry about an alky pump failing under boost. I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Where can I get a chip for e85? I have a 92 camaro with a TTA drive train and It would be cheaper to convert the chip, injectors and filter and run e85 then purchase an alky kit. I would actually save money as I drive. Any help would be hot.
Thanks

If you are doing this purely to save $'s, be careful. Check the price of E85 in your area and compare that to the priced of the gasoline that you would normally purchase. E85 will have to be 25-30% less than your gasoliine to be "break even" based solely on the price of fuel. If you factor in expenses to be able to run E85 safely, you will need even more savings per gallon!

I'm not saying don't do it....just run the numbers first to be sure it will meet your needs (save $'s) before you spend your hard-earned $'s.

Conrad C.

I have been fighting with octane for years. I can't get GT100 anywhere and if I could, it is big bucks.
I am currently running 110 which is $8.99 gal + the occasional O2 sensor. I want to run razors alky kit which is $525 + alky. I am a lead foot. I don't want to keep putting alky in and myabe have a failure. E85 is race fuel and I am done. No failed O2s, no running out to get alky, no additional alky tuning, no possable
alky system failures. And most importantly......readily available and less expensive.
If gas becomes reasonable again, I can always put my old chip and injectors right back in.
Thanks for your concerns though, most would let you make mistakes so they can tell you how smart they were later.

let us how this works out for you. i've been thinking about this for some time now. i don't know, but what i've read--- is that some people who have gone e85, mix a half tank with e85 and a half tank of 93 to get better gas milage, i don't know if that is done on a e85 chip or not. or what year they were doing this. also look into tax breaks, where i live e85 lets you ride in the hov lane.

You sound like me. I love to feel that torque and don't want to depend on add-on equipment to keep your motor alive. E85 would be perfect for you. I assume it is readily available in your area. It is not readily available for me yet.
Conrad C.

carpool lane, for more than 2 ppl, buses, and motorcycles. but 1 person in an alternate fuel vehicle can use it also. yeah, i see eric said to run e85 only, and that's what i would do. i wanna know how much boost you end up with and mileage. good thread

Still looking for chip options. I don't know what is available. Do I even need to change the chip if I up size the injectors 30-40%. CALLING ALL E85 CHIP BURNERS! I need to buy something. Current specs:
PT51 pushing 25psi.
37# Injectors
Fuel pressure 38psi at idle
AFR .768 at the trap (Perfect)
All I want to do is convert. Not upgrade anything or go faster.
I have 48# injectors in stock and my fuel pressure can increase a bunch.
I already have over sized fuel lines and I will have to change my filter.
Who has something that works?
Tom

I am not looking for a mgmt. system or anything like that. I just want to find someone who cuts OBD1 chips for this purpose. I assume it is the same as a gas chip it only needs to be richer to compensate for the E-85. I can achieve this by just up-sizing the injector and fuel pressure. I just don't want to assume everything and have a nice molten engine compartment.
Tom

MY trend has been highjacked..... :biggrin: Yes you will need a TT chip. It is designed to use E85. Turbotweak.com. Eric will help you out with all your questions. He is there in the evening after 6:00 pm. I think he has another job before he does this one. You will probably have to get atleast 60lbs injectors to be safe with that combo.