How do i get 650 horsepower?

jakers

Im a new member to this site, so i may ask a few questions that many of you may find ignorant, but i'll ask them any way. And i think i went a little bit over my head with the 650 hp....500 sounds a little more reasonable.

I have an all stock 1987 Buick Grand National, i bought it off of my father who was the original owner and only other owner other than myself. I always wanted to make the car go faster, but im not sure how. Does anyone know where i could get the parts for these modifications and how much it would cost?

I live around Canton, Ohio

go to gnttype.org there are some basic tips there to go fast.
I would not molest a 2 owner low mileage car.

600 HP.. prob get your $$$ out from under the mattress first. :p welcome aboard :cool:

ok, now you know where to go to get some tips, i'll tell you how much it might cost.:eek:
it could cost you everything! house, wife, dog.
fast is never fast enough, you'll have a habit (like a rockstar on coke) habit.

just throw some 60lbs injectors, chip, and fuel pump eric at turbotweak.com
maybe a bigger turbo

it'll be faster, and you could make it stock agian easily. if you really want to do more, then start researching for a while. go to the nationals at bowling green.

As well as Grumpys post.

Everything has come full circle with these cars... now the big trick is alot of guys are going back to near stock and trying to extract as much from them as they can because you can toss wads of dough at them and they can still be a turd.

Basic upgrades like good fuelpump, hotwire to it. then sink your cash into a wideband setup or maybe fast system and start some 21st century tuning.

Then you can post back your times in six months and have everyone on here buzzing about what you achieved with near stock setup.. insted of spending all your time on here posting for help to fix blown head gaskets:eek: :smile:

go to gnttype.org there are some basic tips there to go fast.

It's just no fun stock. My car is mint with 32k and I just love adding more parts :D

Agreed on starting out at gnttype.org though. The recipes there will help you understand a lot of the basics for improving the performance on these cars. The best advise I can give is to not have short term goals with it. Spend some time and make a long term plan and the order in which the plan will be accomplished. That way you're not going back over the work you've already done because mods with your previous plan don't work with your new one :)

600 HP.. prob get your $$$ out from under the mattress first. :p welcome aboard :cool:

Aint that the truth:tongue: :tongue: . Read my sig. The 133mph pass is about 680hp. The same build at about 24-25psi should net 600hp.

Welcome

First off, 650 HP in a street car is very doable for these things. If your new to these cars, I'd recommend that before you max out your credit card on neato go fast parts that you'll outgrow in a few weeks, you spend lots of time here reading about people that have reached that goal, what combo of parts and money it took to get there, and what they would have done different looking back.

There is a thousand different ways to make these cars haul @$$ and stay in one piece. The problem is, that there is a million ways to kill the engine and not even know that you did it.

IMO, going fast, and keeping it in one piece with these things is,

1/3 Good parts
1/3 Good combo
1/3 Good tuning ability

With the most important one of these the tuning ability. (It's not that hard:) ) If you learn to tune at a 650 HP power level. When you make mistakes (you will), it'll hurt parts. If you learn to tune now with a 13 second car and make mistakes, It's not that big of a deal.

I've owned, and wrenched on many fast cars in my life. This one has been by far, the most satisfying of all of them. Not becase of how fast it is, or the neat parts that I slap on, but becase If you understand what these cars want, you can tweak them and see results without even opening up a parts book. There is huge power in these engines that wants to be unleashed. The chalenge is to sneak up on this power safely and learn as you go. If you do, you'll go faster, and enjoy it ten times more than someone that just mindlessly buys cool parts.

Also, try and get with people in your area that have these cars.

Welcome, and happy spooling.
Mike Barnard

yo have to set a goal and buy parts to accomplish said goal. I'm in Chardon if ya need any help gimme a hollar.

Buy a second car that is already chopped up and worked out... if you have the money the economy has people selling these cars for dirt cheap... I picked up my 87-T for $8700 with all the work in the signature, fresh paint and an interior that is 7 out of 10. This way you can keep your GN pristine and reliable to drive...

Buy a second car that is already chopped up and worked out... if you have the money the economy has people selling these cars for dirt cheap... I picked up my 87-T for $8700 with all the work in the signature, fresh paint and an interior that is 7 out of 10. This way you can keep your GN pristine and reliable to drive...

I agree with this guy and the first post. Keep the car original like your dad had it, and probably wanted it to stay. It will be worth more money that way in the long run, you can take it to shows and just enjoy it occasionally.

Then buy a T-type to build and beat the piss out of!

keep low mile car

I agree with everyone here on the site. Keep the GN a low mile car. The first thing is learn how to tune the car at its most basic form as a stock engine. Then you will understand what bolt ons you can use to get to your goals. You can just bolt the best on and not understand the car still go slow or definately damage the motor. The best analogy I can give you is you need to build a foundation before you build a house. Start with the basics like a scan master first.

thread title should have been:

i have a grand national, what should i do with it?

bison's sig has the parts he is using to make the power you seek.

thread title should have been:

i have a grand national, what should i do with it?

bison's sig has the parts he is using to make the power you seek.

bison's car is also a HAND GRENADE with the pin pulled .he also has NO GIRDLE and all the bearings except 1 are 87 gm bearings pistons ,rings and rods are all stock. his car stays toghther with his tuning skills and some luck!

Where does he say it's a low mile car? It could be a 2 owner car with 180k on the clock.

Anyway, IF it's a low mile car keep it stock and buy a higher mile one to have fun with. Also, you can use the stock car as a refernce when you take crap off and forget how it goes back on... :biggrin:

Either way, read alot, use the "search feature" and ask questions. Then enjoy your ride!