How expensive to mod LS1?

CopGn

I was wondering how expensive it is to mod an LS1 to the 450hp and 500hp range? Alegedly you can get an LS1 to 450 with just heads, cam, and exhaust. This is all on 93 octane. How true is that?

CopGN,

I have a 2000 Camaro as a daily driver which is in this H.P. range. The car has run 12.04@114+ on E.T streets and made 375 H.P at the wheels on the dyno. It's not quite as easy as people would lead you to believe. The car has the following mods:

LS1 truck heads ported and polished (smaller combustion chamber increases compression)
224/224 cam
LS6 intake (2001 and 2002 this was stock)
SLP Y pipe
Yank SS 3800 convertor
3.73 gears and a few other bits and pieces.

Keep in mind this is an automatic and doesn't have headers and was running thru the cats and stock muffler. I'd say what you're asking is possible but it won't be cheap.

Neal

?????????????

Real easy and real cheap, as compared to internal work.
A 150 shot, and you are there.....clean, easy, cheap, use it only when needed, instead of lumpy cams, higher compression, etc.
I say, a good exhaust system..[RANDOM Technology], a good fuel pump, a NOS or NX 250 kit, and you are there for less than $2000.
[The 250 kit is for "room to grow"] :D

Re: ?????????????

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
Real easy and real cheap, as compared to internal work.
A 150 shot, and you are there.....clean, easy, cheap, use it only when needed, instead of lumpy cams, higher compression, etc.
I say, a good exhaust system..[RANDOM Technology], a good fuel pump, a NOS or NX 250 kit, and you are there for less than $2000.
[The 250 kit is for "room to grow"] :D

Ditto.

My g/f car has went 12.6@110.7, on nitto's with her 01, auto ls1. This was accomplished with just bolt-ons and very minor tuning.

The car with a 100 shot, will be a mid 11 second car on pump, and nitto's. :cool:

The motor may be able to do it, but the drivetrain wont! I don't see anyone going over 400 HP with just heads and cam. Yes, it helps, but that seems to be the max unless you stroker or a power adder. Stick with stock and some spray and you'll be doing good.

Ryan

all u need is heads ,cam ,automatic, gears ,some tires ,exhaust and a lid and ur there