How far away is a stock motor

Because In addition to accomplishing something Im trying to learn, not just blindly follow what someone else I've never met says. That way I can become less ignorant of buick turbo engines as well as learn abit about turbocharging. All 3 of my other engine endeavors have custom crankshaft modifications I am spec'ing. Not sure what the crank has to do with implementation of a low-mid rpm turbo setup. Both the chev and poncho factory engines Im doing are routinely turbocharged when they were not from the factory. The Harley not so much but it might be possible. Did you read the title of this thread I started before attempting to insult me?? Just trying to find the actual weak points that would limit the stock block. Maybe there are some issues I could address now. I don't have a stage 1 or 2, the stocker is going in.

Here on this forum, Turbocharging is not an add-on. It is part of well engineered combination. A total vehicle package that has been created to work together. This means even the rest of the car is completely integrated into the thought process. You would be surprised to find that the actual turbo itself is sometimes the dumbest part of what makes our cars work. This package works much better for you when you start with one that worked well to begin with. Buick's combo worked well. You need this head start. This is why I said for you to start with a complete 86 or 87 Turbo Regal set-up. I'd like to mention everything from engine management, AF ratios, timing, cams, transmissions/torque converters, heads, headers exhausts, scan tools.......the list goes on forever! You don't really have a chance starting this way.

The horsepower numbers you have mentioned using the other engines you described above are easily achievable when working with 86-87 TR set-up. But not so much so starting from scratch with the wrong year.

Do you believe Buick used the same engine exactly the same way from 1978 all the way to 1987? In 1978 the Buick 3.8 was a turd. By 1987, the Turbo Regal was one of the quickest performance cars in the world. Don't you think maybe the little changes were important?

There are too many things to integrate into the set-up that you just won't have. Not to mention that the block and the build is not the same, no matter how close you think they may be. The differences you may think are minor are MAJOR in the turbocharging Buick world. Your have a friend who turbocharges? Forget him. This isn't about turbocharging. It's much more.

Buick Stage blocks shouldn't even be mentioned. These were Buick Motorsports offerings. They normally requires special attention and custom parts and are usually assembled by those who have years of experience using their propriety knowledge. There is also nothing special about any performance part described as being "GNX". To describe it simple for a new guy, and for your intents and proposes, the GNX is nothing more than a design package offering from Buick. Basically a real bad-ass looking standard Turbo Regal with a a different computer chip. No special motor.

Your questions could all be answered as time goes on. Start over. Wax-on...Wax-off.

Buy the right set-up. Make friends in your area. Go slow.

Last edited:
...Did you read the title of this thread...?

The answer would be yes.

Did YOU read the information provided?

If you had... You should have noticed in the history of the Buick V-6, the progression & refinement of the design including a Block change.

Yet you keep asking why... :cry:

It's obvious by your line of questioning that you have no clue what you are talking about & appear to not want to actually perform the required homework to learn.

Last edited:
I dont forget my friends. Anyone who would trying to please someone they've never met on an internet forum isn't much in my book.

Again I will reiterate I am not building a GNX or trying to get every ounce of HP possible out of a 3.8 with cost as no object. I am under time and $ constraints and was trying to do the best I can with what I have that might prepare me for future cost effective mods Im interested in. I have to get this car running. I'm not sure Buick turbo engines ever came from factory with manual transmissions and this engine will have one behind it. So I believe the GNX computer and trans are out. I am not trying to please or impress people here ... I thought this was a forum where people discuss ideas on what they are doing and try to help each other learn. I have had that experience on many other forums, it is a pleasant one mostly.

I did view the links and see changes were made in the block, have and had read most of them already. Continuous improvement is something that most manufacturers do. Most of those improvements do not appear to me to preclude implementation of a mild turbo setup. I could be wrong. Thats why I was asking ... but "It wont work" doesn't satisfy my curiosity. Especially when a published book is telling me otherwise. What breaks? Is there anything you can do to stop or minimize that? The even fire split pin crank in my 84 motor might possibly be a strength issue but my book tells me a low-mid rpm turbo setup making 400HP @ 4000 rpm is possible with a stock block cast crank and pistons, nothing fancy except a mild Crane cam. I will be happy with 300HP. I see prepackaged turbo setups and actually might try one thinking the turbo may be junk but might enable me to get the supporting cast right enough to improve later. At least I would gain understanding in how everything works together. Matter of fact I will just do that and stop asking about it here.

I dont forget my friends. Anyone who would trying to please someone they've never met on an internet forum isn't much in my book.

Again I will reiterate I am not building a GNX or trying to get every ounce of HP possible out of a 3.8 with cost as no object. I am under time and $ constraints and was trying to do the best I can with what I have that might prepare me for future cost effective mods Im interested in. I have to get this car running. I'm not sure Buick turbo engines ever came from factory with manual transmissions and this engine will have one behind it. So I believe the GNX computer and trans are out. I am not trying to please or impress people here ... I thought this was a forum where people discuss ideas on what they are doing and try to help each other learn. I have had that experience on many other forums, it is a pleasant one mostly.

I did view the links and see changes were made in the block, have and had read most of them already. Continuous improvement is something that most manufacturers do. Most of those improvements do not appear to me to preclude implementation of a mild turbo setup. I could be wrong. Thats why I was asking ... but "It wont work" doesn't satisfy my curiosity. Especially when a published book is telling me otherwise. What breaks? Is there anything you can do to stop or minimize that? The even fire split pin crank in my 84 motor might possibly be a strength issue but my book tells me a low-mid rpm turbo setup making 400HP @ 4000 rpm is possible with a stock block cast crank and pistons, nothing fancy except a mild Crane cam. I will be happy with 300HP. I see prepackaged turbo setups and actually might try one thinking the turbo may be junk but might enable me to get the supporting cast right enough to improve later. At least I would gain understanding in how everything works together. Matter of fact I will just do that and stop asking about it here.
?
Use the book you have.
I think I may speak for all. We give up.:bigtears:

Isn't somebody on this site running a complete intercooled setup on a stock n/a long block? I'm sure I read this not too long ago.

Isn't somebody on this site running a complete intercooled setup on a stock n/a long block? I'm sure I read this not too long ago.
I'm sure. Probably on a 109 with NA crank. And that's fine. But the key words here are "complete intercooled set-up". Basically they most likely have an entire Turbo Regal installed around an NA block. So, keep the power down, and drive it like a house wife, and when it breaks, build the motor.

But that's not what this guy is doing. He's starting from scratch with nothing but the block. And it's the wrong one. And then he's going to try to use a mix-matched bunch of crap and thinks he can upgrade as he goes, and then he says something about GNX stuff, and then something about stage stuff, and then something about carburetors, and something about NA headers, and then something about using the book we have all seen in Autozone and Barns and Noble, and something about...........who f*ckin knows what! :facepalm:

He's all over the place! A train wreck! I'm so confused:confused:

My thought is, if you have a v6 out of an 84 cutlass, that's basically the same as a hot air block (I forget the part number). A good friend of mine ran well in the 10s with a stock hot air long lock that I installed in the car before he bought it from me. Imo, I would think that a stock 84 motor would be plenty capable of making 300hp reliably if you had all the parts needed to convert it over to an 86-87 intercooled setup with a really safe tune.

I'm not sure if that answers your question, as it seems you're jumping around a bit. Your best bet is to find everything you'd need to convert it (headers, X over, upper/lower intake, turbo, harness, etc). That's where it'll get a bit costly.

a v6 out of an 84 cutlass, that's basically the same as a hot air block
No. A hot air block at least has a turbo crank.
a stock 84 motor would be plenty capable of making 300hp reliably if you had all the parts needed to convert it over to an 86-87 intercooled setup with a really safe tune.
Yes, if you had all the right parts. Again, he doesn't have this stuff. I told him not to attempt a pack-rat build-up. Instead, he should start with all the parts from a set-up that works. Read my post # 21, first paragraph.
Your best bet is to find everything you'd need to convert it (headers, X over, upper/lower intake, turbo, harness, etc). That's where it'll get a bit costly.
Yes, but he won't listen. He just wants to use his block, invent some support contraptions with mix matched parts and hope it holds together. Or at the least runs in some acceptable manor.

No. A hot air block at least has a turbo crank.

Surely, an n/a crank will hold up to 300 hp. Not to mention, most filled filet turbo cranks are beat to death by now.

Yes, if you had all the right parts. Again, he doesn't have this stuff. I told him not to attempt a pack-rat build-up. Instead, he should start with all the parts from a set-up that works. Read my post # 21, first paragraph.

Sounds like he's on a strict budget. All of us have been there. If he wants to throw something together and try and make it work, why not encourage him? Worse thing that can happen is he blows up a junk short block.

Yes, but he won't listen. He just wants to use his block, invent some support contraptions with mix matched parts and hope it holds together. Or at the least runs in some acceptable manor.

Personally, I think the stock 86-87 ic setup is the way to go, but that's easy for me to say since I have enough shit sitting around here to put one together. There's a member here that goes by the name WarWagon, I believe. He runs an older (pre 86) Regal with an off the wall blow through turbo setup. I think he runs stock 87 headers and crossover. Last time I saw the car at a local flashlight drags event here, the car was flying. While I'm sure he has a lot of time and a lot of R&D invested, he had to start somewhere.

Personally, I think the stock 86-87 ic setup is the way to go,
Yep. Me too.
There's a member here that goes by the name WarWagon, I believe. He runs an older (pre 86) Regal with an off the wall blow through turbo setup. I think he runs stock 87 headers and crossover. Last time I saw the car at a local flashlight drags event here, the car was flying. While I'm sure he has a lot of time and a lot of R&D invested, he had to start somewhere.
Anything is doable. But why give a green newbie advice like this. It's way to rough of an introduction to the Buick V6 turbo world.

Well my motor is pulled from 84 Cutlass ... will deal with flywheel clutch matchup now. Have Rock Auto flywheel hopefully I can get a balance with. I wanted to setup an exhaust asap as Im not tearing into a good running shortblock (much) and the motor will be installed in the H-body also asap. I think my turbo buddy has talked me into not trying to install a "turbo later" exhaust setup that would be detrimental to na performance. Too many changes at once, will focus on getting it running and attempting to improve performance first with upgraded intake carb and exhaust ... maybe new rocker setup. If I find a loose timing chain I will change that and may put a new oil pump on as well. Once running the next change will be to fuel injection. Then maybe to turbo ... if I choose to do that I will change-out the exhaust. Found a set of kinda beat up Gebler na step headers that I am not sure what their "good points" are(anyone here know?), but they look better tuned than the new Hedman offering I see in Summit for a few bucks less. Wish I could find 1.65 rockers to go on factory HD shafts but I guess they do not exist. See I can get Sealed Power R-947 rockers with centered pushrod cup and wondered if they were interchangeable on heads that use R-869(R) and R-870(L) rockers??

Go for it, turbo with a carb blow through setup, just like roadkills' junkyard turbo 240 Z -
Sure it will blow up at some point, but why not.

It seems the guys really tried to help but you kind of fought them along the way. I would suggest as others have stated. Do some reading. (You keep saying about gnx this and that. If you researched a little more you would see there's wasn't a terrible lot different from a regular gn. And you said on a budget so I can guarantee you have no clue how much gnx parts go for. I digress) You might be able to boost it but how much is the question. I'd probably say not much. The boys are just trying to save you time and headache bc what will happen is you'll boost it blow it and say all gn motors suck. I'd check into the I believe before black section and possibly hot air section and just read. Good luck.

Well my motor is pulled from 84 Cutlass ... will deal with flywheel clutch matchup now. Have Rock Auto flywheel hopefully I can get a balance with. I wanted to setup an exhaust asap as Im not tearing into a good running shortblock (much) and the motor will be installed in the H-body also asap. I think my turbo buddy has talked me into not trying to install a "turbo later" exhaust setup that would be detrimental to na performance. Too many changes at once, will focus on getting it running and attempting to improve performance first with upgraded intake carb and exhaust ... maybe new rocker setup. If I find a loose timing chain I will change that and may put a new oil pump on as well. Once running the next change will be to fuel injection. Then maybe to turbo ... if I choose to do that I will change-out the exhaust. Found a set of kinda beat up Gebler na step headers that I am not sure what their "good points" are(anyone here know?), but they look better tuned than the new Hedman offering I see in Summit for a few bucks less. Wish I could find 1.65 rockers to go on factory HD shafts but I guess they do not exist. See I can get Sealed Power R-947 rockers with centered pushrod cup and wondered if they were interchangeable on heads that use R-869(R) and R-870(L) rockers??
Would you be open to using a different crank and pistons?

My little H-body will be a cute little tinker toy. Hopefully I can use it to learn a thing or 2 keeping it running while I do. It had a 215 Buick pulled from it and the body style came factory with an optional carb 231 that is what Im starting with now. I believed and still do it might be a good candidate to experiment with converting to fuel injection and later to turbo with the goal of possibly developing a smaller powerplant that would equal or best a stock chev 350 in HP and torque. I have a chev 350 I am reducing the displacement of to 314 with a similar goal every one telling me Im cuckoo. It is not finished yet ... ran into a snag with a custom crankshaft grinder that has held me up. It may meet goal may not but will be my best effort. It will be going in my 84 Cutlass with an ST-10 4-spd.
I intend to do more reading and have started with a textbook on forced induction. Will be looking through forums here as well ... mean no disrespect to anyone ... came here to gain basic familiarity with the Buick engine Im working with and modifications and try to relate to Pontiac I know abit more about.

Just like the looks of those Gebler step headers so will jump on them this week if my paycheck is up to par. Should make for an interesting duals setup when it gets to the exhaust bender. Hopefully sound nice too ... anyone got any suggestions for V6 mufflers? thinking Flowmaster.

Not cracking shortblock yet, if I do that I would consider buying stronger pieces to start with and wont do that halfway.

I don't know what i can add but I doubt any of what I do would be followed. The later 109( this is the last three digits of the casting number on the block) generally has the rolled fillet crank. This later block has a thicker valley. If you think you can squeeze 400hp out of an early block/crank/rod combo more power to you. I would advise you to have a robust fuel system and sneak up on that figure with some kind of knock detector. If not you will be driving over the crank in short order.

Nothing wrong with the n/a setup you mentioned early on. That is what I would do but you must make those decisions.

That Pontiac iron you mention has way better stuff than any production Buick v6 stuff. Even the two bolt stuff is nice in comparison.

You can build anything, but that doesn't mean it will work out. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Well my Cutlass is back in the yard minus the 3.8, Paul says the flex-plate appears not to be counter-weighted ... ? My Rock Auto 79 Buick Century 231 flywheel does with 7 drill holes on the backside ?? Oh-boy here we go :) Wonder if I could spin motor fast enough with starter to notice whether a balance problem exists if it bolts up properly? Will probably need a different starter just to try.

Guess I've been thinking some of the Pontiac turbo on a 301, I believe that was kind of a flop and am not certain why, it was an early domestic V8 turbo that was clearly eclipsed by the Buick V6. I do believe the Buick effort advanced turbo technology into the real performance arena, one of the reasons I was considering trying to convert a stocker 3.8 thinking some of that might rub off on my brain enough to learn from a success and use with whatever engine I choose. My textbook starts with history saying forced induction came from Europe and was originally a method to make a smaller engine a "larger" engine without changing its bore and stroke, not necessarily for racing. I drive a turbcharged diesel (and own one) and have been doing so for 25 years. The text says diesel engines have lower exhaust temps which makes turbo'ing them easier parts wise and more effective as the charge is thus cooler. Got a hole in my Cummins N14 intercooler and did have a noticeable power loss tho the leak was small. 40psi my max boost and I notice very little boost when truck is not loaded or rolling on level ground. (something is regulating boost)

I did do some reading about rolled fillet cranks, believe Pontiac used them in cast cranks on the 301 Turbo engines as well as the 455 SD with stronger blocks (main webs and lifter valley reinforcements). Think they used forged conventional fillet for Ram Air 4,5 and TA 303,366. My understanding is the rolled fillet must be cast in, it cannot be machined in, so you will not find a forged crank with them. Their positive effect might be negatively impacted by grinding the crank if that is necessary and need to be supplemented with larger bearing clearances and oil supply enhancement or actually become a negative if using low oil clearance bearings. Cranks do not usually crack on a Poncho the first thing to happen is a spun rod bearing or a broken factory rod if rpm is too high. Mains rarely ever fail. It was my understanding the rolled fillet makes the joint between the rod or main pin and the adjacent counterweight less likely to crack from the forces which actually cause this area to flex by allowing more flex. I was having my cranks ground with larger fillets for a similiar reason and using a larger oil clearance and oil supply system to complement the effort. I wanted to modify factory cast cranks to their utmost instead of buying a forged replacement made overseas. Effort appears to have been thwarted by crank shop(s) on my first one .. so I will be buying a foreign forged as I have people and a done block waiting.

I believe the split pin Buick crank might be a weak point, dueling rod pin centerlines doesnt seem like a performance enhancer more of a band-aid that might work well enough to a point to me. The book referring to a viable stock cast crank low rpm turbo build might be referring to an odd fire crank with a single rod pin. Is this what the "rolled fillet" on both main and rod crank that is available in certain blocks was?

My goal of converting a stock 231 to a turbo that would exhibit more power than a stock Chev 350 was based on the same article I used for building the 302 conversion, goal being less than 400HP. 360HP I think it was. In stock form the 302 made more HP and torque than the 350 above 6000RPM so it didnt seem like as hard a goal to attain as this one. Trying to find those numbers and misplaced them. Just read some more in my text, actually has several pages about Buick ... says the non-intercooled turbo system improved the 105hp stock na 231 performance to peak 165hp@4000 / 265ft-lb@2800 .. the 86 intercooled Buick offering further improved those numbers to 235hp@4400 / 330 ft-lb@2800, guess these figures would be car off the assembly line ... modifications could bring those numbers up. Boost was limited to 13psi and sfi wastegate and full electronic control with knock sensor reducing timing when necessary was incorporated. In 1976 the Indy pace car featured a modified 231 with stock block, crank and rods that made 315hp with 22psi boost ... might not have lasted too long on the street with those numbers and book doesnt specify all mods. Book is by A. Bell and is well respected .. have his other book too, 4-stroke Performance Tuning. Guess Im just figuring the more boost the more potential HP avaiable so the trick must be building the short block so it will rev and take as much boost as possible if the 800 HP figures are being chased. Maybe there is an advantage with the 6 as it has less ra weight and moving parts to keep together than a v8 and if you are going to buy premium lightweight parts anyway ( I did with my 302 and Poncho) and turbo it to a larger "effective" displacement comparable or greater power levels may be attainable.

That wouldnt be any fun. Rather try and fail using my own head than just copy someone else. At least I learn something. And I dont usually fail. That said my first iteration of the 3.8's return to life will probably be na at the expense of an entire exhaust change should I choose to turbo.