How much is my car worth?

baby6

One Fast Buick
Have an honest question hoping for a realistic answer.

1986 Buick Grand National
Most mods are in my sig, ALKY kit has been sold and I just regasketed the engine along with an
edelbrock 204/214 cam.
Transmission slips a little 1st to 2nd
Rear is good, posi.
New tires and brakes all around
Cosmetically the body is an overall 5 or 6. Little rust on body, but literally all body parts except for the bumpers have been swapped from different cars. No more RPO code but clear title. The passenger rear quarter was changed when I wrecked it years ago, and the bodyshop that put the quarter on did a poor job. I took it to another shop a few years ago and they did what they could with it and it looked alright, but now the bondo is starting to crack around the quarter where they were working on it and it is starting to kink where theres body pressure.
Interior is a 5 or 6 out of 10 as well, Seats have been reupholstered but the fronts have a little wear and are really dirty, carpet is good just needs cleaned. Center console good, shifter handle is broken (might be able to fix)
Dash is good except for minor imperfections, speaker cover is cracked around speakers. ODO/speedo dont work.

The biggest thing I'm concerned with is the body, as to make the car a nice shower again it will need another rear tub/quarter replacement again. I have a 2000 Transam LS1 6 speed, and there is a kid in my area looking to trade me straight over another T/A with a 5.3 and a 6 speed. really clean car except for some paint imperfections, also willing to give me a roller TA. Ive had the GN since I was young and it is very sentimental to me, but I believe my love for other vehicles is growing and I might hop on the opportunity. Let me know what you guys think please!! Thank you.
Alex

Disclaimer: Far from expert, haven't seen your car, and the market appears very down for cars in my area, not sure about yours.

Sounds somewhat similar to the one I purchased five years ago body/interior wise. Paint was shot on mine, bondo showing through in numerous places, interior original but ruined, quarters needing replacement due to rust. I can't speak for your performance modifications, mine had some too but they were not disclosed in the sale as the seller was not really familiar with the car. I'd say $5-6k range without looking at it in person. FWIW I paid $6500 for mine and it came with a replacement deck lid, another set of GN rims with tires and a new PUI interior. Mine ran, but not well.

I know you didn't ask about the TA, but I'd say that yours with the LS1 puts it far ahead of any other TA with a 5.3. I wouldn't take that trade regardless of vehicle conditions. FWIW, I have a 98.

Thanks Vader for the input. I believe the previous owner of the other TA blew up the LS1 and put a 5.3 bottom end in it and called it a day. I agree my car is ahead of this one performance wise (obviously), it does have alot of good stuff on it though. I am going to check out the roller he has today, if the roller is as good as the picture he showed me, I can do some magician work and come out on top all around. Ill see if I can take some pictures of my car later to show you.

20161126_135403.jpg
20161126_135422.jpg
20161126_135403.jpg 20161126_135422.jpg 20161126_135410.jpg

Attachments

• 20161126_135347.jpg
    20161126_135347.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 92
Here is the car in question. What do you think?
By the way, transnission actually doesnt slip, was just a little low on fluid.

This really comes down to how badly you want the other car or cars. If both party's are happy then its a good deal. I traded a 1500.00 mustang for my first gn,he had to have the mustang,do you have to have the ta's. I would put the gn value between 5000.00 and 7000.00 without actually seeing it or hearing it run, but im cheap. Lol

Looks better than I expected, I'd probably go a little higher in my original number, $6-7k range. I'm guessing most responses are going to be pretty biased, obviously I'd rather have the GN than a modded T/A....but at the end of the day it's whatever makes you happier.

i just bought my gn for 15K but had to drive 1330 miles to get it. They are not cheap cars.

If it is sentimental you will regret it. I have three cars, 85 442, 81 Cutlass Rag, and the 84 GN, they all have meaning and have had thoughts on selling them all at one time. Then I think, would I regret it? Yes. I cannot comment how many people in this entire restoration/performance/car hobby community, in their later years say, "I should have kept that car." AND, then try to find it again. I always comment this as well....they only go up in value as time goes on, and the car's condition doesn't get worse.

I went 8 years without owning a turbo powered car, 8 years of hell. Now that I have a GN again, I haven't been happier. Just buy another car and keep it man, put it away and come back to it later, you'll realize how good of a car it is (other than constant upkeep and broken parts)..:D

Thanks for the input guys. I made the wise decision of keeping it. Glad I did. I definitely would have regretted it! Going to be on driver duty shortly, as I wait for a mail order tune for my current Transam. :)