How much power with a 6265?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Them ex are flowing too much. Surprising he went with the same duration on both.

Can I ask why you would want less duration on a cam for a turbo like this? Lack of velocity at lower rpms?

I ask cause I finally got the cash for my cam kit, and I'm looking to get one ground, and I was referenced something as large as 224/224 for my engine, shifting at 5800 with a 6262 champion ported iron heads, running 30psi+ with methanol as a fuel. It seemed a bit large to me, especially after what you've told me.

How did you design/choose the cam lift/duration to maximize the turbo so well? Is there programs that aid you with this?

Is anyone else a little surprised that it only picked 46 hp with 5 psi? I thought it would pick up closer to 20hp per pound.

Is anyone else a little surprised that it only picked 46 hp with 5 psi? I thought it would pick up closer to 20hp per pound.

That's no surprise based on the mass flow it used at 25psi. Over 70lbs/min of air. It's working harder against backpressure at that power level too. It looks like you can get about 78-80lbs/min out of it if you work it hard. If you were to run this on a stock headed engine you would see a bigger gain per psi from 25-30 but the peak power would still be 125whp less at least. It would still have the stock headed engine covered up to almost 40psi based on the math and this is what it would take to get within 5% of the power this one made. You probably aren't going to see anyone running a set of stock heads in this manner though. It would still take a similar cam and use more timing at the same boost I ran on this one to get it done

Pretty cool Bison!

I ran the calcs again and found an input error in my previous guestimate. :redface:
Came up with 696WHP the second time. :cool:

FWIW:
Athough the calcs are static, you can clealry see the postive affect of a good converter.

I am working on a model and am interesting if possible in the Trq/rpm number. (?)

Two clicks less on the ratchet straps & it will make 710..
I had it up to 32psi but the dyno graph was a mess because it didn't see the spark signal. Used 3-4% more fuel though. I strap them down as tight as i can.

Adding too much rolling resistance could be hurting you a little on the dyno .. The one i use is a private collectors ..he uses four straps at the front 2 pulling down & 2 pulling back ..at the rear 2 straps left a little loose ..then padded guide bars at the rear quarters so i cant move side to side .. My car made 23 hp more this way.on the same kind of dyno.

sounds like something the supra dyno queen guys would do lol.
that was some funny chit .. We did nothing like that .. I trust him ..he's an old school top fuel guy from niles michigan .. He was racing before i was born ..

Adding too much rolling resistance could be hurting you a little on the dyno .. The one i use is a private collectors ..he uses four straps at the front 2 pulling down & 2 pulling back ..at the rear 2 straps left a little loose ..then padded guide bars at the rear quarters so i cant move side to side .. My car made 23 hp more this way.on the same kind of dyno.

So which way was closer to the timeslip data? Did the boost change at all? Just asking because I have been searching dyno techniques and there are a ton of tricks!

so which way was closer to the timeslip data? Did the boost change at all? Just asking because i have been searching dyno techniques and there are a ton of tricks!
loose was a closer match .. By far ..let me add this dyno has twin rollers ..didnt see much of a boost change .oo5 just a little quicker spool

The fuel consumption always levels the score. My result could have been 672 or 721 but if its using consistently more fuel it's making more power. Those straps were as tight as I could get them. You can see the tire change shape under power on the roller. If they were left loose it wouldn't be safe and would likely result in tire spin on the ramp in. If I could throw a load on this thing it would spool faster and show more power. This dyno has no electric brake though.

the fuel consumption always levels the score. My result could have been 672 or 721 but if its using consistently more fuel it's making more power. Those straps were as tight as i could get them. You can see the tire change shape under power on the roller. If they were left loose it wouldn't be safe and would likely result in tire spin on the ramp in.
no no just not as much downward pull ..not loose .. I should have stated that .. We just found that when we didnt crank her down as hard we pulled better numbers .. I would never let a car wag on a dyno .. Thats just asking for trouble ..

wow thats 80 more then my prediction,650 at 25 is huge good to know 25psi has allways been my no knock start getting worried limit no matter how my combo has changed over the years...Great info.

Status
Not open for further replies.