I miss these days!!

blackmonte

New HP Technology !!!
If you were born in the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers
Who smoked and/or drank while they were
Pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing,
Tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles,
Locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode
Our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children,
We would ride in cars with no car seats,
No booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick-up truck on a warm day
Was always a special treat.

We drank water
From the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends,
From one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon.
We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar.
And, we weren't overweight.
WHY?

Because we were
Always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day,
As long as we were back when the
Streetlights came on.

No one was able
To reach us all day. And, we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps
And then ride them down the hill, only to find out
We forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes
a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes.
There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable,
No video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's,
No cell phones,
No personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.
WE HAD FRIENDS
And we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth
And there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt,
And the worms did not live in us
Forever..

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,
Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and,
Although we were told it would happen,

We did not put out very many eyes..

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and
Knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just
Walked in and talked to them..

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.
Those who didn't had to learn to deal
With disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law
Was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best
Risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years
Have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility,
and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of them?
CONGRATULATIONS!
You might want to share this with others
who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the
lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives

for our own good.

How true.

Nice.:smile:
Thanks.

Mike Barnard

Well, I guess this all explains why people were so screwed up in the late 60s early 70s.

Actually Jay Leno wrote this , but I remember doing almost all that stuff I have three kids working for me and they are all the same they want more do less Everthing for themselves screw everyone else. My twin boys are 20 same thing drives me nuts!!Kids today are LAZY!!

With some luck maybe things will go back the otherway with our grandkids. My 5 year old grandson is a bit of a throwback to those days.If he's not dirty he's not haveing fun.

So true. My 12 y/o niece asked me today if we really didn't have cell phones as kids, she is glued to the thing. Her sister asked what the manual window crank was for in my truck.

IAM was bron in the 60s.I think pep from 30s to the 70s wethe best time in life..it was fun time !!

I used to love those times myself but i don't think the children of the future will get a chance to be kids anymore with the way our present govt. is running up the deficit, they are all going to have to get jobs by age 6 in order to pay it off.

If you were born in the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers
Who smoked and/or drank while they were
Pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing,
Tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles,
Locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode
Our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children,
We would ride in cars with no car seats,
No booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick-up truck on a warm day
Was always a special treat.

We drank water
From the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends,
From one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon.
We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar.
And, we weren't overweight.
WHY?

Because we were
Always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day,
As long as we were back when the
Streetlights came on.

No one was able
To reach us all day. And, we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps
And then ride them down the hill, only to find out
We forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes
a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes.
There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable,
No video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's,
No cell phones,
No personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.
WE HAD FRIENDS
And we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth
And there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt,
And the worms did not live in us
Forever..

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,
Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and,
Although we were told it would happen,

We did not put out very many eyes..

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and
Knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just
Walked in and talked to them..

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.
Those who didn't had to learn to deal
With disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law
Was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best
Risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years
Have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility,
and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of them?
CONGRATULATIONS!
You might want to share this with others
who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the
lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives

for our own good.

You forgot, Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, ect....
They call them social networking when in fact I believe it makes a person more antisocial. You don't have to talk to a person anymore just TWEET them:rolleyes:

Awesome, I actually wish I was born 20 years prior ... but I remember ALL of these things. Being HUMAN was real back then ... today we are all wannabe computers ---

Yep. I caught the end of that train (born mid 70s).
I still have the old color TV (and the B&W tube TV we had too) in the basement. Had all of 12 channels and you had to actually get up, walk over to it and turn the dial!
Everything took longer to cook, since there was no microwave yet, but that meant we all ate the same thing, and sat down to dinner at the same time.
I can remember taping my favorite songs off the radio as a kid.
We had a phone with an actual hook, and dial. No buttons. No cordless. You had to actually reach up there, stick your finger in the wheel, and turn it!
I felt pretty lucky when my parents actually bought a car with an FM radio in it. 82 Dodge Aries wagon. Man I hated that thing. Reeked of vinyl. Probably passed out from the fumes more than once. My dads traffic cone orange Omni wasn't any better. No wonder I rode my bike everywhere.

Actually, my hometown is still kinda like a time machine in ways. We don't have cell service. Its a small town, and the nearest fast food is 20 miles away. No Starbucks, no McDonalds. Kids will still go to the park and shoot hoops, play on the swings, and get out and do stuff. People sit at the corner gas station and drink their coffee, read the paper and gossip about who, where, when and why. Everyone knows who everyone else is. Myspace and facebook are almost redundant, because everyone already knows what you're doing.

As the oldest child, you can see the difference clearly between me, and my youngest sister, who is almost a decade younger. She can't live without a unlimited text plan, her Nintendo Wii, her I-phone apps, fast food, and her "you owe me just because" attitude.

Thats for sure John. Things just seem to get worse with newer generations. It's amazing the cushioned life todays kids have. Someday it will catch up. There will be no one left who knows how to do anything. Once the old timers are gone and there is no one left to fix all the worlds crap, maybe they will get up off their ass.

I hear there is good demand for service people right now. Mechanics, welders, hvac guy's, etc. Going to be hard to teach these kids anything while they are texting and twitting. The other problem is they don't want to learn. :rolleyes:

You got that right Rick , We will be in wheelchairs still fixing Chit!!Because no one else will know how!:eek:We went last for some pizza a young guy coming up to the door older guy walking out with his arms full with 2 pizzas and the young guy just let him struggle to get the door open man I was pissed!! Ran over to give him a hand and you can guess the look I gave the young kid!!

I liked the NFL commercial wanting kids to go out and play for 60 mins a day. We stopped long enough to eat lunch. We would ride our bikes, build ramps, forts, go to the school play ground and play baseball, kickball, basketball, football, fall, get hurt, get in fights, pick on each other, etc, from 8am till it was dark.

You got that right Rick , We will be in wheelchairs still fixing Chit!!Because no one else will know how!:eek:We went last for some pizza a young guy coming up to the door older guy walking out with his arms full with 2 pizzas and the young guy just let him struggle to get the door open man I was pissed!! Ran over to give him a hand and you can guess the look I gave the young kid!!

Thats the other thing long gone. Common courtesy and respect for elders.

As much as I hate the old jag off next door :eek:, I still respect him and still help him out when needed. It's just how we were brought up.

At almost 40, I still have three marks of casualties when I rode my bike as a kid. :biggrin:

On a side note, how many families eat dinner at the table anymore?

I liked the NFL commercial wanting kids to go out and play for 60 mins a day. We stopped long enough to eat lunch. We would ride our bikes, build ramps, forts, go to the school play ground and play baseball, kickball, basketball, football, fall, get hurt, get in fights, pick on each other, etc, from 8am till it was dark.

i was born in 86, i guess you can say i caught the beginning of this "new age era"
when i was a kid we did all the same things i quoted above, i had the earlier video game systems but never used them unless i was stuck inside due to crappy weather. i didnt get a cell phone untill i had a job and was able to pay for it myself, i bought all of my vehicles, and computers.i never spent to much time on the stuff when i was younger, i would rather be out on my bike, untill i got my first car. the biggest thing my mom gave me was a swift kick in the ass if i was being lazy lol.
but i pray for her and thank her everyday for that, because i didnt turn into a punk kid who needs stuff given to him.

I was born in 1983 and can relate to this. We did the same stuff you mentioned above. We were especially into riding and jumping our BMX bikes that we worked our little a$$es off to be able to buy them by mowing lawns, pulling weeds, cutting bushes, etc. around the neighborhood. We loved to play basketball, football, and also we went fishing a lot. I can remember us building ramps to jump off and getting all jacked up after falling off the bike.:biggrin: Back then we just started to have the gaming consoles, but as somebody else already mentioned the only time we played on them was when it was raining outside or dark. Those were the good ol' days!:cool: