I'm Back..let the wrenching begin !!

Looking good Vince. I had several extra compressor clamps but I sent all of the rest of my drawthru stuff to A.J. so I know he has some. He's having fun in the desert.

The cast manifolds are tough, they can and do occasionally crack but not as much as tubular manifolds, plus they like to hold in heat which is good for turbo's. Tubulars are lighter, flow better but they are not as tough as the cast ones.
There are factory carb/turbo systems with AIR. The compressor is in a different location and also uses a different bracket to hold everything.

The tubular manifolds flow better but have a tendancy to crack Vince. It's up to you which you use. The AC will fit but it's kinda tight. I'll see if I can get a few pics of mine later this week but my time is screwed up until Saturday.

Have you heard from Aj, Adam. I've been wondering what happened to him since he hasn't responded to any email or Text I sent him.

The tubular manifolds flow better but have a tendancy to crack Vince. It's up to you which you use. The AC will fit but it's kinda tight. I'll see if I can get a few pics of mine later this week but my time is screwed up until Saturday.

Have you heard from Aj, Adam? I've been wondering what happened to him since he hasn't responded to any email or Text I sent him.

No not since his last posts on here. last TXT I got from him was about the 301-60 wheels.

Air conditioner

I tried contacting AJ too...never got back to me either..That tube manifold is allready cracked and will require some welding before I put it on. I will try to get it on and see where it leads me. Thanks guys for the help, I'm sure I will need a lot more before this project is finished.

Aj just sent me a Text. He's out in the desert again and had a sh!t when I told him about the GNX I worked on this weekend. LOL Going to work now guys so I'll pop on when I get home.

Gnx !!!!!!!

GNX...Fantastic !! Big Buck Mother.... !!! Let me get back down out of the clouds too.. back into the pits...Can't believe that it took me half a day just to get that cat off..actually twisted a jap 2 inch extension in half..had the cutting tourch on standby, had to resort to my cut off wheel though to cut the tube from the cat that went up next to the trans fluid check tube..I can't believe it...what kind of contraption is that??// droped a wrench down on top of the trans loosening a bolt that held the cat tube..can't find it..looked around with a remote mini mirror still didn't see it..must be some kind of a gremilin in there taking my wrenches..I can see on the left side of the trans pretty clear...but the right is kind of dark...it must be there..if I could see it I could use my magnet to get it out.. some bolts are metric and some standard...what a pain..:frown:
Will try to get the right side exhaust manifold off tormorrow....no room to work there..

You can put air on a turbo car. You need to build some different compresser hookups and move the compresser forward 3/8". I can get some pics of mine if you want. Just got it done. Need to empty the system, replace the orphis tube and put a good vacuume on it. Didnt quite get cold enough. Its in the mid 40's. Like it in the low 40's if I could.

Waiting for a answer back from G-pop....new delima...I have these exhaust manifolds made of tubes...looks like the left side one is almost the same as my cast exhaust side...well as far as the way the crossover pipe bolts up to it...Is there any reason I should replace this with the tube one ?? Also on the right side of the motor...man its tight and I have air....Is there any way I can keep the air conditioner and still run these exhaust pipes...?? Looks like I can run the up pipe to the turbo...but the down pipe...I don't think so without removing the air conditioning unit.. Has anybody ever seen a turbo with air...if so how did they run the pipes ?? :confused:

i have different brackets on my car so you can run the ac i have never seen them for sale but i know there out there. let me see if i can find the pic of it.

i found it. there is another pice that goes to hook up the ac compressor.

Attachments

• 1430698a22.jpg
    1430698a22.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 135
Nice

Mat, Looks like the alternator to me.. I think I have those same brackets too..I see you are running a vac controlled distributor...where did you hook into?? What kind of mods did you have to do to the carb?? How do you control spark retard at boost ?? Are you running a MSD box with retard dial??

thats not my motor. i guess i have to take the pic of my engine then but it does hook up the ac.

Air conditioner

Thanks for the photo..gave me some ideas..my tubro clamps are on the way from g-pops..Hope the exhaust manifold comes off eaiser that the rusted out cat. Still have the holley carb to rebuild...its onlya 650 but it should do me for a while, having the feeling that there will be some big timing issues. Anybody know how a 79 turbo delt with spark retard at boost ??:cool:

As I recall the ignition timing was on full even with boost. The ESC system only retarded the timing if there was detonation.

Timing

That would make it real simple...I had a friend that just threw on a turbo on his 6 cly Pickup truck engine..it ran fine...he did nothing to the stock ignition.. Why all this big deal about spark retard when the boost comes on then??:confused:

Spark retard is used to keep dotonation down Vince. Get an MSD BTM unit and it will allow you to adjust how much timing you get as the boost rises. This will allow you to dial the boost up more with out detonating the engine.

Boost

Yea...I was thinking about that... If I cant to get it to run like I want it to run I will take that route.. Too bad there wasn't a way of having a vacumn delay on the vacumn advance just to kick in when the turbo starts kicking. But then again I am probably looking for a way to do mechanically what the MSD can do electronically. I will be putting in a boost guage and really want to get my hands on a good air fuel ration guage..too bad they don't have a Horse Power guage so I can see my mods in action...I guess that what a dyno is for right..especially on a non computer car.. I guess I will have to use the old seat of the pants feel and listen for the pinging.. Had a 13.5 compression motor once...without that water injection the car would ping on Sunuco 260....really dating myself here...

Well if you check evilbay you can get a seperate knock guage system that will at least keep you out of it some. I got my BTM for less than $100 used but never installed. Keep looking for one and I'm sure you'll find what you're needing.

Boost control

I will keep watching...I saw a couple go for close to 300...for 300 you can buy a new one.. Seems like the easiest way to go though..thanks