I'm Back..let the wrenching begin !!

The Vortex unit is made by MSD and it's the same unit. It seems that most people don't know it though. Congrats Vince.

wrenching it..

Thanks for that...I was just taking a stab in the dark on that one...figured Supercharger / turbo...still should work... Next step is to fab up some kind of a oil drain for the turbo...I have seen those SS braided lines used ...Would that be the same as what is under my sinK hooking up the water line to the faucet ?? I think they are lined with some kind of a plastic on the inside...??:cool:

wrenching it..

Heres a photo of it...I am pretty sure its off a 79 Buick regal ...The orginal tag was gone and in its place was a Rebuilt for GM Tag with a part number of 25516906 it must be the smallest one they had...because G-Pop sent me the wrong clamps for it and the hole spacing was approx 3/8 of an inch than mine was..He did send me the correct ones after that though..kind of a fly by the seat of your pants operation but great people...

Attachments

• turbo.jpg
    turbo.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 117
what did you paint the turbo with vht? tell me how it holds up when its on the car i might paint mine if it will hold up.

wrenching it..

I painted the turbo with Duplicolor Cermanic paint...the stuff is like bullet proof when it drys completely...I painted my intake with it..man...nothing will touch it.. acid, lacquer thinner, engine degreaser, its some insane stuff..It says 1200 degrees on the can. Its kind of a satin black not glossy..
One question though...the stock wireloom lays on the right valvecover..and about 1 inch above it is the exhaust side of the turbo...don't look too "hot" to me. I think I will have to move the whole wireloom to get way way away from that wire loom...I have seen these turbos glow red at times..If that happenes the wires will turn to toast.. I also see that I will have to fab up a few brackets for the front and back of the exhaust side housing of the turbo to the manifold. I have also seen some photos of the exhaust side of the turbo being hooked up with springs on the bolts to allow flex...But since I have a flex pipe on the bottom of the downpipe I am thinking that maybe I will not need it.. Still looking around for something to make oil drain for the turbo.....its getting there...all the stuff is starting to line up now and settle into place....:wink::):cool:

Turbo

This turbo was recently rebuilt for GM no side play at all the unit is still kind of snug. took it apart and everything looks new...there was a little carbon buildup on the shaft and I removed it and it turned much better...I am hoping that after a while running it will loosen up more...needs to be broken in some I think.. There was a tag on the side of the turbo that said Rebuilt for GM...still have a 650 CFM Holley carb to rebuild though...have the kit from one I built last year that turned into a real basket case....left in the acid too much trying to clear out all the corrosion out..should of really just through out the whole body of that carb....it must of had water in it for over 20 years.....starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel...maybe I will take my first breath when it finally kicks over.:D

Alright great job!
This is a great example of super clean positive progress while detailing.

Plugs

Does anybody know if those E-3 Spark Plugs really give better gas mileage ?? Thinking about putting them on my chev 4 X 4... Also the plugs on this buick, Do I have to use a colder plug and gap them wider to work well under extra pressure ?? Checked the book for plug info and they suggest using a R44TSX @.60 /would you guys agree with that ??

Do not use the stock plug gap. It needs to be about .032-.035 to keep it from being blown out. I can't remember which plug is prefered but just regular plugs only, nothing fancy for the Buick.

Plugs

I got that plug info from a Chiltons book 1985 as the stock plug for the turbo Buick ..even the non turbo engine was gapped at .060 and that was the R45T....Don't forget that was with the HEI Dist.

I got that plug info from a Chiltons book 1985 as the stock plug for the turbo Buick ..even the non turbo engine was gapped at .060 and that was the R45T....Don't forget that was with the HEI Dist.

thats too big of a gap they told people in the books. trust charlie he know alot.

Plugs

Will give it a try and see what happens.. On that Vortex Supercharger MSD box I got...that only delays the spark and does not intensify it....right ???

back to wrenching

Will give it a try, waiting for the rain to stop to get back on the project. any quick fixes for making the turbo drain pipe.... Going to try using a 3/8 gas line welded to a flange...hate to do it that way..really wanted a 1/2 inch tube...will keep looking around..

Will give it a try, waiting for the rain to stop to get back on the project. any quick fixes for making the turbo drain pipe.... Going to try using a 3/8 gas line welded to a flange...hate to do it that way..really wanted a 1/2 inch tube...will keep looking around..

do you want a factory corrigated drain Vince? I might even have a good grommet....

A.j.