Im going in....(Timing Chain)

Whistling a happy tune. :biggrin: I found the problem, and it RUNS AGAIN!!

I look up to the Crank Sensor, it LOOKS OK. Until I un-bolt it.
118861508.jpg

I remove the sensor pinch Bolt (5/16 open end wrench worked best) and then I rotated the engine to where the "Gap" was threw the sensor. I pulled the sensor out and unplugged it.

118861526.jpg

118861542.jpg

Looks like Dumbass me didnt properly line the sensor up. You can see the blades of the balancer were rubbing the sensor. Which in turn caused the car to NOT run. :(

So when I went to re-install my new one, I placed a thin "zip tie" between the blades of the balancer and the sensor. I then pulled the sensor against the back of the blades. The "zip tie" was loose on the front side so I pushed the sensor back towards the crank and it sandwinched the tie between the blades and sensor. I tightend the pinch bolt, and removed the zip tie. I then turned the engine over to make sure the gap was constant. It was, so I crawled out from under the GN. Climbed in, and gave the key a turn.

IT STARTED!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Sorry I didnt take more pictures, batteries died.

Still gun shy about driving the GN but going to attempt it anyway,
Craig

Well tomorrow is the day I drive it to work again...as long as the SNOW we got melts ;)
Ill keep everyone informed,
Craig

The car has been driving great. No problems or anything.

I did manage to get in trouble thou.
I was working on my "other" car when I had an accident. I was grinding some sheetmetal getting it ready for paint. When it happened.
I was squating down to get close to the core support while grinding and the grinder hit something and kicked back. It kicked back into my left leg right above the knee. Normally I wrap cuts in Duct tape and paper towels, not this time. Blood was running down my leg and I was in trouble.
I hobbled to the bench and grabbed my cell phone. I called 911 and got the paramedics on the way. I thne called my wife and got her on the way.

My third call was to my friend Dave...."Dave come get my GN!! Its parked in front of my Garage and I dont want it stolen while Im in the hospital!!" I told him the story while I was hobbling out to the car to leave the keys where he could get them. Blood was pouring down my leg pretty good by now, but the paramedics were pulling up.

After they loaded me up, and I was heading down the road. Dave called me and told me he was driving the GN back to his Garage. I asked him how it rides and if he hammered it. LOL!!

Well the cut was about 5 inches long and about 1/2" deep. Not to bad, I got very lucky. The doc said I hit the "fatty" area above me kneea and didnt hit any nerves or anything crucial.

Leason learned: Work with a buddy or have a cell phone close by. :D

119372427.jpg

119370804.jpg

I couldnt take the cell phone while they were stiching it up, but these were taken in the waiting room.

So know Im laid up for a couple weeks and the rear suspension on the GN will have to wait. :mad:

Oh well, more stories form the Garage to cotinue.
Craig

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!

Hope you're 100% soon. Yep, I got a small but nasty cut years ago from a THM 350 Governor Cover Clip ring. 7 stitches in the finger, and lots of cleaning before & after. You know you better see the Doc when when you can see fat cells! :mad:

On a side note, Russ Merritt & I we talking at PTS, and I mentioned this accident of mine to him. I mentioned:"I'm showing you my left middle finger, but I'm not giving you the middle finger!" :biggrin:

At least I can laugh about it 22 years later.

Bruce Toelle mentioned how blood looks like Dr. Pepper in dim light. He found out a few years ago.

Those pics you have are not THAT graphic, thankfully. A guy on the Outdoor Siren board had spun up an old mechanical siren by hand, then for some reason stuck his finger in one of the ports! He almost severed the end of his finger. For some reason he was snapping pictures of all the treatment steps, including the X-ray & the stitch in the fingernail bed! :frown:

Dave didnt hammer it. He said he didnt want to break it while I was broke. LOL

I told him we will take it out and Ill ride along as he rolls in the throttle. Im sure he will be a bit surprised.

As far as the Gory pix, no way. I hate seeing my skin opened up :frown:

You dumb ass :wink:

Just kidding, that sucks for the injury hope you heal aok.

Wished i took pics of my brown recluse spider bite that i acquired 3 weeks ago,....... if your leg swells up like a golf ball and is bright red, seek immediate attention.

I currently have a nice hole in my inner thigh, glad big jim and the twins didnt get hurt.

Within 48 hours, i had a cavity the size of a golf ball....... glad i went to the doctor, would have lost even more than i did!

No pics sorry!

I almost forgot...
Now I dont mind the paint on my GN looks like A$$, but when a customer drives #077 GNX to the store and parks right next to mine. Well it makes me wanna break out the Krylon!! LOL
Seriously, Howie drove his GNX to the my store and it was a Beauty!! :eek:
It was diffinately a sight to see. Of course I DIDNT have my camera with me, so no pictures. :(

QWK said:
Seriously, Howie drove his GNX to the my store and it was a Beauty!! :eek:
It was diffinately a sight to see. Of course I DIDNT have my camera with me, so no pictures. :(
Dam you!!! :mad:

Nick

QWK said:
He was a cool guy. Gave me his number and said if I need anything call him. Wished me good luck on my Gn also. :)
Howie is a great guy. Did you see that paint job on that car?? One of the best black paint jobs I have ever seen. :eek:

Well, IT LEAKS OIL!!! Imagine that. ;)
I have been driving the GN back and forth to work and it rides great. Even thou its quite rusty, it still gets thumbs up and people staring. Its going to be a long project and I will definately enjoy the days I get to drive it.
So Ill keep updating this post.

Happy Holidays!!

Craig

This is quite the Saga

As for the power steering pump pulley, you need a puller remover tool I believe. I used one when I did the hoses on my Suburban. Does the pump shaft have a groove machined in the end and the hole has internal threads? I bought a KD tool but have since seen less expensive(Read Cheap) tools for this at harbour freight.

Good Luck with the LEAK

Rich

The PS pump shaft has no groove. The pulley was pressed on. I bought a $12 puller from Autozone and pulled the stock pulley off. Then I installed the new RJC pulley with a plastic mallet and three hits :)

The leak, Ill get to it soon :(

I decided to get off my ass and get to the leak. Turns out it is NOT the rear main or the oil pan gasket (not yet anyways) Turns out there is a strong leak behind the filter/oil cooler aluminum piece.

Here you are looking up under the car toward the oil filter (IC bracket is removed to look for leak)
121340728.jpg

Here is the area where oil is a gushin. (end of 1/4"extension)
121340733.jpg

Is there an O-ring that goes here? If so, how do I get it apart?
If not, WTF??

Thank you as always,
Craig

If it's the oil cooler hose adapter thingy to the oil pump housing where it's leaking there is an O ring in there.

You take the filter off and unscrew the big threaded part, when you look inside you will see the large hex part to wrench on it.

Replace it with a biggy oil filter adapter from Race Jace and try a nice B9 Baldwin filter on there. :)

Fits with most popular stock location intercoolers and shrouds.

I got the O ring at NAPA out on the racks came with a couple of other ones for GM trucks I think lol.

Bring yours with you, may be available other spots as well.

It was the O-ring that was causing the leak. I took it apart and sure enough, it had a tear in it.
Off to the auto parts store :D