Install of CompCams Valve Springs

danspears1

I've read all the posts on the subject, but want to be sure my CompCams 980-12 valve springs are properly installed. The springs will be intalled by my friend who is a master mechanic; howev,er he has not done any springs on a TR. The posts indicate that the factory cups should be omitted. What should be used in the install of the valve springs (i.e. - shims, retainers, etc.)?

Please help and thanks,

Okay, thanks. Are there retainers and locks installed with the stock springs and if so, should they be reused or should we get new ones?

I really appreciate the help.

Just reuse the stock retainers and keepers. Careful with those keepers though. They are small, slippery with oil and can fall in places you really don't want them to. Toss out the stock cups though. If you reuse them, they will increase the spring pressure beyond what the new one's are rated.

If you buy the tool designed to do them it makes life so much easier.

It's a simple job, just use a magnet and don't drop the keepers.

Make sure you have a good compressor and there will no issue with keeping pressure in the cylinder.

Whatever result you go with pay attention to the oil you go with. If the API STAR BURST symbol on the back reads SM you need to add ZDDPlus to make sure you have the proper levels of zddp that was in the oil originally back when your Turbo car was new. Alot has been written about this issue in other posts so I will refrain from expanding on my remarks.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Have had a few Turbo cars over the years