Installing LS-1 brakes?

scojack_2001

Livin' Like A Refugee
Does anyone have a link to the how-to thread to do this? I searched but came up empty... Maybe I missed it.:confused: :redface: Got my new hubs today and will be ordering the brackets Monday. Im looking for any info on where to modify the stock spindle. The rest shouldnt be too hard.

Thanks.

Scott

I just did the LS1 front and rear disc conversion on mine not to long ago and ran into a couple of issues with the fronts.

On the fronts:
1) The instructions I found online did not take into account getting to the two bolts that hold the caliper onto the bracket once it is mounted to the spindle. To get around that I just added a notch for the top bolt and had to drill a decent side hole (3/4'' I believe).

2) Make sure you test fit everything before you put it on the car. Once everything is bolted up, make sure the rotor is running in the middle of the caliper bracket. For some reason min was way off so I had to add shims between the caliper mounting bracket and the spindle to get it just right.

Does anyone have a link to the how-to thread to do this? I searched but came up empty... Maybe I missed it.:confused: :redface: Got my new hubs today and will be ordering the brackets Monday. Im looking for any info on where to modify the stock spindle. The rest shouldnt be too hard.

Thanks.

Scott

Did you get the hubs from this supplier?

Custom hubs, LS1 brake kit

Where did you get the hubs? I had the rotors cut, that was a real pain.

I had rotors to cut into hubs but this looks like a much better way to go. :smile:

I had a buddy cut the rotors down for me.

Those look nice and if I had $140 to spend I'd buy them.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone to cut my rotors down, and I have no idea what a machine shop would charge and $50 each isn't out of the realm of possibilities or if they wouldn't **** up the job .. something that's been going on for about 30 years now. I was going to have to buy the long studs, that was $30 right there, so I'm very happy I found this supplier. :wink:

Unfortunately I don't know anyone to cut my rotors down, and I have no idea what a machine shop would charge and $50 each isn't out of the realm of possibilities or if they wouldn't **** up the job .. something that's been going on for about 30 years now. I was going to have to buy the long studs, that was $30 right there, so I'm very happy I found this supplier. :wink:

Got any buddies that will let you use a brake lathe? I have another pair here and will be using a carbide blade on a hacksaw to cut them down. Knock the studs out first though. Then all you have to do is turn them down and any machine shop should be able to do that. You could probably save $40 maybe over buying those.

And those look EXACTLY like mine except cleaner. I may beadblast mine but we'll see.

Turn the minimum amount off the OD of the hubs (just to where they will fit inside the LS rotor hat) I believe it is roughly 5.7" (just under 5-3/4"). Taking too much off will cause the material to crack between the stud holes and OD when installin new studs. Another trick is to turn/file the knurl down (only about .005") on the studs before installing them back into the hub. I have tried several different techniques, some worked some didn't. I still have the first set of hubs I built on my personal car and they are cracked (4 years now?) I would not sweat it if they do crack, but just giving my 2 cents.
Todd

a local machine shop quoted me $95.00 to cut my rotors down to hubs.

I had no idea what one would charge to turn down the rotors to hubs, but like I said, $100 was probably going to be in the ball park. I don't know if you can screw up that job but we all know many shops will find a way. Then you have $2.50 or $3.00 each for 10, 2" studs, and there ya go. ;)

I cracked a couple of hubs at first but now I put the studs in the freezer the night before, put hubs in oven @ 200 for 2 hours. I haven`t cracked a hub since.

I had no idea what one would charge to turn down the rotors to hubs, but like I said, $100 was probably going to be in the ball park. I don't know if you can screw up that job but we all know many shops will find a way. Then you have $2.50 or $3.00 each for 10, 2" studs, and there ya go. ;)

2" studs??? I was told by the guy that machined my rotors to get the 3" studs. I was thinking that the 3" studs would be waaaay long...:confused: I was at the NAPA yesterday and they had some 2.25" studs there. Didnt know if those would work or not.

I cracked a couple of hubs at first but now I put the studs in the freezer the night before, put hubs in oven @ 200 for 2 hours. I haven`t cracked a hub since.

What studs do you use with yours, if I may ask? Ive been trying to find them locally but like I said, I havent found any 3" ones like I was told to use.

I still need to order those caliper brackets off of you too. Hopefully I can do that Friday.

2" studs??? I was told by the guy that machined my rotors to get the 3" studs. I was thinking that the 3" studs would be waaaay long...:confused: I was at the NAPA yesterday and they had some 2.25" studs there. Didnt know if those would work or not.

What studs do you use with yours, if I may ask? Ive been trying to find them locally but like I said, I havent found any 3" ones like I was told to use.

I still need to order those caliper brackets off of you too. Hopefully I can do that Friday.

NAPA P# 641-1581 ½” longer than stock
HTH

I used Moser Studs from summit. MSR-8255. They are a little bit longer to compensate for the brake disc.

Why didn't they know?

First, you don't need 3" studs. I checked that NAPA P# 641-1581 ½” on the internet for 2" studs and could not locate. You can purchase 2" studs at Advance Auto parts. I have these already all the way around on both my TRs.

Wheel Lug Stud by Pik-a-Nut - Part 98501 - Advance Auto Parts