Intercooler Question, Please take a look

Originally posted by KendallF
Scotty, Florida here, black car, daily driver... and I had a front mount on it for at least two years. :) It's on Dan Boden's car now, again no real problems. Caveat: this was my home-grown Kenworth IC frontmount, and it mounts low enough to leave most of the radiator uncovered, thus no cooling problems. We've had at least 3 or 4 other local cars with front mounts and no real cooling problems. Heck, I don't know what's going on with those Texas octagenarians' cars! :D

I just put a PT&E front mount on a car that's over at SpeedCraft along with a BeCool radiator and an ATR fan kit (no, I didn't specify or buy any parts for the car, I'm just trying to help the guy get it together). It'll be interesting to see if it runs cool or not.

On the original question of thicker vs. thinner, I think thinner will probably be better for efficiency, but there's another portion to the IC effectiveness, and that's pressure drop through the core. The pressure drop through the core is proportional to the core's cross sectional area and width, so the skinny wide cores are going to have more pressure drop, which makes the turbo have to work harder to provide a given manifold pressure.
I'm more concerned with AC operation in traffic. I just wouldn't be looking at FM intercoolers until I REALLY need to go there. I'm far off, so it's a non-issue for me. I just think this guy should work on other items unless he's looking for 11's or better. IMHO.

Originally posted by KendallF
Scotty, Florida here, black car, daily driver... and I had a front mount on it for at least two years. :) It's on Dan Boden's car now, again no real problems. Caveat: this was my home-grown Kenworth IC frontmount, and it mounts low enough to leave most of the radiator uncovered, thus no cooling problems. We've had at least 3 or 4 other local cars with front mounts and no real cooling problems. Heck, I don't know what's going on with those Texas octagenarians' cars! :D

That Edsel front end you grafted on the front end to feed airflow to the Kennworth IC may have had something to do with it. Of course, you Floridians don't know what hot is anyway.

If you were not so big and ugly, I would take issue with the octagenarian (sic) comment.

:D

I hereby renounce my "Webster" title

You caught me in a mis-spelling, Sir OctOgenarian! I guess being 80 counts for something. I think Edsels are rockin', by the way.